• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Windows Vista 64-bit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Guess what. 3ds Max 5 will not run on Windows Vista. The best option is to use VirtualPC to emulate XP or Dual Boot. Since both options require a copy of the OS, those are out.

Since my original goal was to use that and the warcraft art tools, that throws a monkey wrench into my plans.

Now, is there anyone else running this operating system that has a successful modeling setup? I'm looking at using Blender and the developed WarBlender plugin. I was curious how reliable that choice is. I've read that Blender has a hard time with exporting animations. Which, to me, is more important than the model.

Next on the list will be the Gmax option.

I've already gotten a whole slew of units fleshed out and implemented, but need the right software to import my models.

----------------------------------------

Screw it, I'm going to attempt Milkshape. On a side note, the search function at Hive is one of the worst I've ever used. Not to be mean, but I've looked at pages and entire threads that didn't even include the phrase(or word) I was looking for. Could someone explain the algorithm there? I mean... wow...

Also, feel free to delete this whenever. I'd do it myself, but I can't so. Yea. Go ahead.

Last edited:
Level 2
Blender is functional for things that don't require animations. It can't export animations correctly from what I've read.

Yea, the search function is terrible. Don't get me wrong. I still look through the results, but when I go through 5 pages of results in which only 2 threads in those five pages include the word I need I get extremely discouraged.

Level 3
i think 3ds max5 came out before vista, so im pretty sure that if it did then that might be the problem. Ask them if they have amde a special update, like they did for 3ds max 9(sp/sp2). If not try to ask autodesk if they can make one.

Level 9
You mean right clicking the executable and doing Run in Compatability Mode for XP Service Pack 2 doesnt work?

Have you turned off UAC? DEP? I wouldnt recommend DEP, but UAC.. annoying popup messages have to go.

If nothing else, I would suggest Maya, but only because it works on my Vista 64 bit. Even if it doesnt support wc3 models. T_T.

Status
Not open for further replies.