• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Wild Leg syndrome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
So this model is one of many, many models of mine that are total work in progress. I only want to focus on only one animation here, specifically, the "walk" animation.

I chose this one as a random example of something that is always plaguing my animations: Wild Leg Syndrome. It also shows up as wild arm syndrome, wild weapon syndrome etc.

tumblr_nra6spn7Pf1sl6x85o1_400.jpg

One just needs to look at how the left leg behaves in the walk animation. No matter what I try, I never get it to work as "smoothely" as the other leg, it moves in a really weird way, "snapping" into certain positions if I interpret this correctly.

If you have time to spare for this, I would be glad if you could tell me what might have gotten wrong in that animation.

I'm using gmax.

Attachments

• mirmide militia good1.mdx
    214.4 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Level 22
I don't have time to look at your model in detail but it sounds like an interpolation issue. Easier way to fix this is to change the interpolation type of the bone to linear (instead of hermite or bezier). It will make your animation less smooth (but it's usually hardly noticeable) but also make it easier to edit.

Level 13
I don't have time to look at your model in detail but it sounds like an interpolation issue. Easier way to fix this is to change the interpolation type of the bone to linear (instead of hermite or bezier). It will make your animation less smooth (but it's usually hardly noticeable) but also make it easier to edit.

wow, thank you! This really helped! It's much better now.

None of the animation tutorials I checked so far really covered this specifically, at least not in a way that it would have registered with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.