• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Wii2... for real this time!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Due to continious falling profits at nentindo have leaked they will be revealing the sucessor to the wii this year at E3 and it is schedualed for release in 2012.

Apparently leaked information from developers say...
The development kit has already been supplied to developers.
It uses a tri core CPU simlar to the 360 with simlar graphics.
Is fully 1080p capable (duh).
Controlers may have a 6in full colour screen built into them.
Is stronger than the 360 and PS3 (more processing power).

You may be thinking this sounds awesome, a wii in full HD with better graphics than a 360 but let us analise it.

It is being compared with the 360 and PS3 in graphic quality, which is like saying my stone axe is bigger than yours in a world of guns. The 360 and PS3 utalize DX9 technology which will be 5 generations out of date when the Wii 2 is released. The PS3 and 360 are now a joke compared to full DX11 tessilised graphics that computer games can use. Processor wise it could hold out well if the clock rate is near 3 GHz and should run even modernish RTS games if it uses DX10 style graphic pipelines (more CPU efficient).

Factor in that the PS3 and 360 are dated and likly to also have a sucessor nearing release (and probably being revealed at E3) which will feature top range graphics and you have the same situation the Wii was in. It will be obsolete by the time it is released.

The controlers with 6inch screens sound potentially very good. Firstly it sounds like they will finally replace the gamecube controlers meaning that games will go back to good only normal controls more often. Secondly if it is a touch screen it could allow for some great controls (like choosing links items simlar to the 3DS oricana of time). I hope that it will be wired though as a wireless controler with a 6in touch screen will hardly last long.

I guess it is a mater of waiting till E3 in June for the truth about the console. In anycase we can expect a whole new generation of games to follow including a new mario look (to match the HD power it will have) and a new super smash brothers (to follow tradition).

Level 15
Same deal as last time, Gamecube was underpowered, Wii has the power of the Xbox 1, so it makes sense for the Wii2 to equal the 360 :/

And why do I get the feeling they will call it Wii^2?

Or hell, call it Revolution, LIKE HOW THE WII WAS ORIGINALLY SUPPOSED TO BE CALLED.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The gamecube was not as underpowered as people make it sound. It had better texture power than the PS2 and was the same generation. The problem was the Wii is pretymuch a gamecube XL and so they basically did not release a new console.

Yes your current Wii is nothing more than a slighly improved gamecube. That goes to show that the gamecube actually was prety good.

The people who made dolphin, the GC/Wii emulator were even amazed that the Wii was nothing more than a slighly altered gamecube system and how little extra they needed to code to get wii games booting on it. Yes it has new hardware but it uses the same old GC graphics and CPU which is why it was fully backwards compatible.

Level 15
The gamecube was not as underpowered as people make it sound. It had better texture power than the PS2 and was the same generation. The problem was the Wii is pretymuch a gamecube XL and so they basically did not release a new console.

Yes your current Wii is nothing more than a slighly improved gamecube. That goes to show that the gamecube actually was prety good.

The people who made dolphin, the GC/Wii emulator were even amazed that the Wii was nothing more than a slighly altered gamecube system and how little extra they needed to code to get wii games booting on it. Yes it has new hardware but it uses the same old GC graphics and CPU which is why it was fully backwards compatible.

The PS2 was a piece of shit hardware wise, I was comparing it to Xbox 1, which had a Pentium 3 733mhz and a GPU which I forgot but I think was similar to a Nvidia 256

Level 8
Sony and MIcrosoft aren't going to release a new system for a few more years due to the release of playstation move and kinect, they confirmed it. The wii2 is said to significantly out power the ps3 and xbox360, its got the triple core, a tweaked version of the graphic processor so we aren't aware of how good it actually is at it is modified to be better. The controller is wireless and can stream games from the system. It requires the system to be turned on and is said to be able to system games on it without the TV. It also streams video so im guessing some sort of support for movies like bluray may be added.

So there's gonna be a wireless controller that uses the process speed from the console to the controller and there can be a screen on the controller? so you can play it backwards and forwards with or without a monitor(TV) screen? That'll be weird and not sure that I'll like it. If this is true it may take some adjusting to the towns people with all the new graphics and features but I've always liked Nintendo and hope for a good next console:).

Level 8
I don't see why its weird :p It allows you to play your console games on a portable device if you so wish. The touch screen will most likely have its own gameplay elements too but well have to wait till E3 for further news.

Level 10
The touchscreen controller... sounds interesting. It'll add a new element to games, but I hope it'll be reliable for those with larger hands...

Any idea on the age group/games this system will be intended towards? As there were like 20 rated Mature games in the U.S. for the Wii system, yet a huge number of rated Everyone games... the Wii clearly favored younger age groups... hopefully this system will be balanced for all age groups.

Roughly, what could I expect for a price tag on this system? I'm guessing towards $200-$300 at release.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
It will target the same age group as the Wii, which has generally been the idea of nentindo. Also many games rated mature in america were often rated lower in other countries.

The cost is a tricky mater. It is aimed at the same price cateogry as the wii was at launch (the console is far from top range) but you must add on inflation to that price as money is worth less. It cost may also be unusual and subject to large swings due to the Japense economic state.

A super smash bros game for it would look amazing (and even the wii one was comparable to the 360/ps3 graphically). However to not expect processes like tessilisation to be included in it.

I am kinda expecting the game bomber man to be on the new console as it will suit all the new gadgets of the new Wii and is just such an awesome game:p. Also for price wise with all the new things expect the them to be expensive as they usually are and I'm guessing that the average person that will buy the new Wii will probably need to pay atleast 540$ to get the full and long lasting experience out of it.

Level 8
IGN said they're aiming for a 350-400 dollars for the system but with the controller having the screen, im pretty sure the controller will be around a 60-80 dollar price which isn't so bad as 400 dollars for a system like this is actually pretty cheap (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aADc6GWf494&feature=channel_video_title). Displays how the graphics will ROUGHLY look as the wii2 is said to tweak the actual devices that build it for better performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.