• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Why is my may so big?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
So after downloading a few customs, creating (and deleting) a few areas that I was testing to see what kind of a tileset I wanted for my map, I decided to go with Barrens and get a start on it.
Except it's 4,830kb, and I just barely (emphasis on barely) threw down a few doodads/destructibles. I tried deleting things and the size actually went up, somehow, by about 400kb.
Excuse the typo in the title, it's somewhat late and I'm rather tired.

Level 4
Should I just restart it? Planning on making a (reasonably) large map, can't really do that with such a huge dent in the limit.
Woah, no imports, and a blank map with only few doodads weights 5 mb?
Got imports, just not enough to justify nearly 5mb. :p
Ornstein was the boss that made me give up Dark Souls... :'(
Keep trying! It gets so much easier after them. :(

Level 25
Well, BRUTAL~1.MDX is 399kb, HereticButher is 330, HeroDemonHunter 254..
They add up.

You have several models that doesn't load, I'd suggest either fixing them or removing them. Then you can always use an optimizer to squeshe away some kbs.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
So even if the individual imports are relatively small it would still be enough to add up to almost 5.mb?
Well you cannot even see a bacteria let alone feel one yet there is over 500 billion tons of bacteria in the world, thousands of times more than the combined weight of humanity. Each file may be reasonably small, but if you have a lot of them they sum to something large.

Level 15
It's very easy to reach the 8 MB limit (imo it is far too small), especially if you are using quality models/imports and especially your own sound/music.

Status
Not open for further replies.