• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Why did my Map give me a fatal error????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
im not sure if this is the right thread for this question but i been always play testing my map alone or with anther person 2 people basically. when i tried my map full house 6 players during not even half way in the game. It gave me a fatal error can someone tell me how this can be caused?

Level 4
im not sure if this is the right thread for this question but i been always play testing my map alone or with anther person 2 people basically. when i tried my map full house 6 players during not even half way in the game. It gave me a fatal error can someone tell me how this can be caused?

Might got something to do with your RAM. The map probably requires more memory to run it with all complete number of players.

Level 19
Can somebody please confirm this?

Also, check out this thread I started. Fatal errors are a grey area, theres not much support for fixing them. And they take a long time to diagnose.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/world-editor-help-zone-98/fatal-error-226918/

when is this happening? I had a problem where the game was fataling in lobby and it turned out because i had this

JASS:
globals
    player localPlayer = GetLocalPlayer()
endglobals

I think players are the main causers of game crashes...

Level 16
It occured randomly in game. Can't say what I did when it happened or anything sorry.

But, i'm not here to talk about my fatal error. Some people gave interesting points in that thread, so I shared the link with the author of this thread in hope it might prove useful.

Level 16
Well, memory leaks waste memory in your RAM, not your HDD. The space left on your HDD is irrelevant to memory leak problems.

Memory leaks accumalate over time. Your game will start out smooth, and progressively get laggier and laggier until its near frozen. Your game will eventually crash. The severity of lag/crashes depends on how many memory leaks there are and how often they occur.

However, memory leaks are not always the cause of fatal errors. The cause of fatals is not very clear, although some people have given you some pointers. I also linked you to my fatal error thread where you might find more information. Good luck.

Look at this tutorial: http://world-editor-tutorials.thehelper.net/cat_usersubmit.php?view=27242

Last edited:
Level 19
Well, memory leaks waste memory in your RAM, not your HDD. The space left on your HDD is irrelevant to memory leak problems.

Memory leaks accumalate over time. Your game will start out smooth, and progressively get laggier and laggier until its near frozen. Your game will eventually crash. The severity of lag/crashes depends on how many memory leaks there are and how often they occur.

However, memory leaks are not always the cause of fatal errors. The cause of fatals is not very clear, although some people have given you some pointers. I also linked you to my fatal error thread where you might find more information. Good luck.

Look at this tutorial: http://world-editor-tutorials.thehelper.net/cat_usersubmit.php?view=27242

hold on hold on hold on

Well, I do experience some lagging and had trouble saving the game. It says there isn't enough space in my drive that has over a GB of free space, but it doesn't crash.

a gb is not NEARLYYYYYYYYYYY enough. you need atleast 50gb to play, considering Windows recycling bin leaks + windows shadow copies. (i know someones going to yell at my 50gb comment, but still, 1gb isnt enough)

Level 16
hold on hold on hold on

Well, the fact that he has 1GB left on his HDD will cause performance issues on his computer. My only point is that memory leaks is not related to your remaining HDD space. I suppose the HDD is used as backup space if the RAM is full, but thats very unlikely to be causing the crashes in the first place. Whats you point please?

Level 19
Well, the fact that he has 1GB left on his HDD will cause performance issues on his computer. My only point is that memory leaks is not related to your remaining HDD space. I suppose the HDD is used as backup space if the RAM is full, but thats very unlikely to be causing the crashes in the first place. Whats you point please?

that his statement had nothing to do with crashes? he said he tries to save his game and it says theres not enough space on the drive?

Well, I do experience some lagging and had trouble saving the game. It says there isn't enough space in my drive that has over a GB of free space, but it doesn't crash.

Level 14
If the OP is having memory issues on his HDD or SSD, I suggest downloading:
WinDirStat

So that he/she can easily see where space can be free'd.
I suggest that if the OP has a significant amount of memory wasted on uninstall kb packages, to remove them if it's at utmost importance to gain space.

Otherwise don't because you won't be abled to de-install the updates you've already installed (which I don't think will be a big issue to many of us but oh well...).

you can easily save a few GB's by doing this.
It's very common for users with low memory on SSD's to do this.

Here is a reference to what I'm talking about:
Insightful information on the subject at hand

This message was directed towards users who are having space issues in windows.

- Referencing invalid player numbers (not within 1-16)
- Out of bounds locations, e.g. a knockback system pushing a unit off the map
- Memory leaks

I'd like to add:
- referencing null vars.
- operation limits.
- thread crashes.

(potential triggering crash causes ofcourse)

Remember that it's not always trigger related, sometimes specific archive files can become corrupt too.
(object editor data, import editor data, terrain data, doodad placement data, unit placement data, shadow data you name it..)
Usually the Fatal error gives an indication on where to search for by displaying a hex offset.
If the OP could display a screenshot of the actual message and is not affraid to show us his map, it's easier to figure out the main cause.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.