• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Why are there no LOTR models?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Does anyone else feel my pain? Where are hobbits? Not skins... real hobbit models. Oliphents? Why does the Hive with its LOTR community not have any LOTR models? (It has some but they aren't hobbits or oliphents and most are quite repulsive.) :cq:

Level 17
warcraft is practically inspired by tolkein's work. the fuck do you need custom models for?

you've got elves, nigger elves, humans, orcs, gandalf on a horse (archmage), nigger gandalf on a horse (apprentice mage), dwarves...

you can use mammoths for the oliphants and anything downsized for the hobbits.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Because.... YOU SHALL NOT PASS!

Actually it is because a lot of WC3 models fit quite well as LotR models. Fell orcs already make good orc models (red skin like in the movies). Various human models fit the heroes well. Hobbits can be made by shrinking down other human models.

This is totally different if you want to make a LotR map in StarCraft II. There is virtually no model that can be used from the base game as a LotR model with exception of environmental models (as a tree is a tree).

Level 6
Because.... YOU SHALL NOT PASS!

Actually it is because a lot of WC3 models fit quite well as LotR models. Fell orcs already make good orc models (red skin like in the movies). Various human models fit the heroes well. Hobbits can be made by shrinking down other human models.

This is totally different if you want to make a LotR map in StarCraft II. There is virtually no model that can be used from the base game as a LotR model with exception of environmental models (as a tree is a tree).

The issue with scaling down human models is that they don't have the right build. But I guess I must use the child models and scaled models anyway. There are some hobbit skins used in the map The Fellowship of Ring but those are the only ones I could find.

Originally Posted by Steel_Stallion
warcraft is practically inspired by tolkein's work. the fuck do you need custom models for?

you've got elves, nigger elves, humans, orcs, gandalf on a horse (archmage), nigger gandalf on a horse (apprentice mage), dwarves...

you can use mammoths for the oliphants and anything downsized for the hobbits.

Yeah most things are covered. Down sized humans don't make good hobbits though.

Status
Not open for further replies.