• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Whispering Stones

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Reactions: deepstrasz
Whispering Stones

Description

The Whispering Stones is a place located in the Dread Wastes region of the continent of Pandaria. In this place, there is a strange energy in the stones, some sort of magic that makes wildelife grow.

Whispering Stones

Neutral Buildings

-2 Expanding mines
-2 Goblin Merchants
-2 Gobline labs
-2 Mercenary camps
-2 Mana Fountains

Creeps

-4 Green creeps
-14 Orange creeps
-4 Red creeps

Map layout
176677-6c5af793f70faca32031f1872d6ba7e2.jpg

Changelog

1) Upload
2) fixed green creeps loot, improved center expos
3) Made the map layout with the pointing icons.

Autor Note:

Dedicated to tough_zai
Previews
Contents

Whispering Stones (Map)

Reviews
mafe
Didnt I review this already? xD Your recent maps are kinda similar in terms of layout, but there are some subtle changes and if the layout is good, why now? There is nothing clearly wrong about this maps, just a few details could again benefit from...

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24
Didnt I review this already? xD
Your recent maps are kinda similar in terms of layout, but there are some subtle changes and if the layout is good, why now?

There is nothing clearly wrong about this maps, just a few details could again benefit from finetuning:
-I feel there are slightly to few medium armor creeps.
-AoW-creep again is not ideal. In the south, it is possible to build an AoW significantly closer to the Mur'gul than in the north.
-At the eastern lab, the shredder has to walk all around the lab to get out from behind.
-Relatively many small chokepoints.

I was surprised to see thath the elementals sleep at night, I thought they didnt. Might be worth thinking about putting non-sleeping creeps at fountains.

What I'm really liking about this map are all the small sceneries which are made really creatively again. Ccreeps and items are fine, of course.
Overall map approved.

Level 24
The gloomy theme seems interesting.
Looks like felwood and underground?
From the overview screenshot the ruins doodads look a little too bright and out of place.
I'd need a detail shots to be able to tell if it fits (don't have WE installed anymore so i can't check)

Layout seems fine.
You're using the "half-moon" setup a little too much.
Which is when you have trees surrounding X camp, but it's not connected to anything else on the map.
It's a great setup, but if you use it too much the map will feel "samey".
You've made a certain pattern to the map and it would look better if you break up the structure by mixing in new elements.
For example by merging camps so that they're in the same blob of trees, maybe there are cliffs to break up the structure, or the camp is visible from certain angles because theres water surrounding it instead of trees.

The same goes for tiling.
One trend across all your maps is frequent use of dirt roads in every path of the map.
More grass would be nice i think.
Just have some large blobs of grass in frequently used areas, especially in areas where you want to build.
Because grass is always nice to look at.
Try not to be predictable with it and avoid making it symmetric.
If you look at the red expansion the dirt "scar" is perfectly mirrored on both sides, almost to a fault.
So yeah, get a little more loose with texture tiling, leaves some dirt roads untrodden.

Level 29
The gloomy theme seems interesting.
Looks like felwood and underground?
From the overview screenshot the ruins doodads look a little too bright and out of place.
I'd need a detail shots to be able to tell if it fits (don't have WE installed anymore so i can't check)

Layout seems fine.
You're using the "half-moon" setup a little too much.
Which is when you have trees surrounding X camp, but it's not connected to anything else on the map.
It's a great setup, but if you use it too much the map will feel "samey".
You've made a certain pattern to the map and it would look better if you break up the structure by mixing in new elements.
For example by merging camps so that they're in the same blob of trees, maybe there are cliffs to break up the structure, or the camp is visible from certain angles because theres water surrounding it instead of trees.

The same goes for tiling.
One trend across all your maps is frequent use of dirt roads in every path of the map.
More grass would be nice i think.
Just have some large blobs of grass in frequently used areas, especially in areas where you want to build.
Because grass is always nice to look at.
Try not to be predictable with it and avoid making it symmetric.
If you look at the red expansion the dirt "scar" is perfectly mirrored on both sides, almost to a fault.
So yeah, get a little more loose with texture tiling, leaves some dirt roads untrodden.

hey thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

is underground with northrend grass. (northrend dirt I think), felwood leaves
I dont remember If I used the Lordaeron winter grass, but I think that tile could fit too.

but I dont have WE editor installed too. I am quite retired of mapping, actually I am playing starcraft brood war campaign in my free time.