• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Which Spell System?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Currently I am in the idea stages of developing a Dungeon Crawler RPG, but I am not sure what direction to go in.
My original plan was to give each hero a total of six spells; one ultimate, 4 spells with 15 levels, and a default spell that upgrades every few levels automatically. In this setup, I would have an estimate of 30 heroes.
The other version uses either 4-5 "trees" that each hold 3 spells. This gives me a greater variety, but the number of heroes will be lower.
Which way should I go with this, or is there better alternative than these two setups?

Level 8
Thre are some ways. You mentioned some popular ones.

You could also make an advancement system.

Basic hero -> first advancement (3+ possibilities) -> second advancement (so each of the 3 has some more possibilities maybe 2-3 = total of 6-9) -> third (last) advancement (only 3, because they will specalize on their skills)

The spells can be given via special items or via solved quests (which will activate them)

Or you make the wc3 system (your upper idea was quite good with 1 skill that levels under special circumstances)

Hope that helped a bit.

Level 15
IMHO, few interesting heroes are better than many heroes with preset abilities. Just look at all successful rpgs (diablo, wow, gw, l2): everyone allows you to choose your skills and create a hero of your taste =))

Level 3
Thanks for the advice guys. I think I will make a template of a hero using Gaegame's system, and see if it fits right.
+rep for both of you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.