• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Which maps are being/planned to be ported to DotA 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Has anyone compiled a list of warcraft 3 maps that are slated to be released for Dota 2? Currently I know of these:

- The Predator
- Ancient Wars (Castle Fight)
- Naval Battle (Battleships)
- Pudge Wars
- Spin TD
- Gem TD
- Dota 2 Run ( Slide Ninja Slide)
- Dota (duh)
- Pudge Wars, SF Wars, Mirana wars etc.
- Pimp My Peon
- Warlock
- Warchasers
- Enfos Team Survival

I would be amazed if that is true. :goblin_jawdrop:

it's true for 100+ player controlled units.

In risk/Helms Deep a single player controls over 60 units or more at a time. That's when Source 2 starts having problems.

It's like for Sc2 with FPS/TPS games. When you make those types of games on Sc2 engine, you start getting latency.

The reason for both cases has to do with optimizations. Source 2 is a general engine mainly optimized for TPS/FPS low avatar control, while Sc2 is optimized for multiple unit control but starts to lack at individual control flow.

How viable are RTS games in Dota 2 engine anyway?

Depends on how many units you intend to have player control.

A wc3 remake inside it wouldn't be viable (not only for legal reasons) but also due to the limitation on unit control. According to some text lag and latency is kinda exponential depending on the number of units a player can control.

Lets say a wc3 clone then. But if the engine can't handle even wc3, which is known for how few units are used, then really can't expect any decent RTS.

Apparently I'll have to stick with megaglest as free RTS :(

Why not trying the Sc2 Engine, Blizzard does not charge you anything for developing maps using the starter edition (only limitation is that you cannot use HotS or LotV assets unless you buy atleast 1 expansion).

it is an interesting point BlinkBoy..

Is it 100+ per player controlled units, or total?

60+ per player controlled if you omit constructing and queues.

The units also don't swarm very well.

The farthest I've seen some1 achieve it is Risk Europe mod but he had issues so you only use a certain amount of spawned units. He also only uses ground pathing, no sea or air. And all pathing is static.

Status
Not open for further replies.