• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Gaias to (Dota 2 Reborn)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I don't if there's anything like this on the forum, i had a quick look around and didn't find anything. So...

I'm a huge fan of this map (best rpg on wc3 by far) and used to be a highly active player a couple years ago on Garena. I quit playing because i quit wc3 in general.

Valve is now introducing a new Dota 2 engine with tools to create custom maps just like wc3. There are already a lot of remade versions of famous wc3 maps (like pudge wars, green TD, archer wars...) and there are people working on some RPG maps as well (there's none done by now i think, but I know they are working on The Black Road: http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comme..._2_modders_ask_us_anything_about_dota/cs8v9qx)

It would be incredibly awesome to see Gaias Retaliation on Dota 2 Reborn, is there any chance it would happen?

Level 2
I see... And I found this other one as well: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/gaias-retaliation-orpg-649/gaias-dota-2-a-244604/

I just think it's worth to look over again this possibility. If the only problem remaining is time, I would definetely support the project to make it worthwhile (maybe some cosmetic rewards to encourage supporters).

EDIT: workshop contribuitors (who build the cosmetic itens sold on dota 2 store) make a lot of money out of their creations, I don't know the future of custom maps, but comming from valve I would say they will find a way to make money out of it as well.

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
Ugh this again.. With the new HD stuff for Gaias in Wc3 the reasons for engine change are dramatically reduced in number. Also I believe that moving to another game will dissolve the community for little gain.

It was discussed before.

As SHBlade already mentioned, there are two things that kill this idea for me:

1) the Dota 2 editor still be constantly changed (I need a stable environment to work with, not one that is still subject to frequent system changes)
2) starting from scratch would take time that I don't have. I'm doing this as a non-profit leisure activity. I simply see no way to fit "starting all over again" into my schedule.

Then add in the fact that I don't like DOTA 2 per se for several reasons:
- when it comes to sheer popularity, League beats DOTA 2 hands down
- Heroes of the Storm has much better aesthetics and profits from the popularity of the blizzard franchises

Switching to DOTA 2 would be playing dice.

Level 8
Not so sure about the popularity issue. Dota 2 popularity is rising much faster than any other MOBA, and at any rate has a really large player base already. The bulk of league player base is in China/Sea anyway.

I agree though, the cartooney feel of dota 2 is just terrible, and while the editor is much much better now - it is still being updated and improved practically every week.

Switching to any other platform would be playing dice. Just as modding on wc3 was playing dice - that's just the nature of modding I think, even if your work is of high standard, you're still at mercy to the whims of the player base.

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
I agree Saiko and that is just another pro for WC3. Seeing as we have a solid Gaias community here. This means that the whims of many of the players fit the work which is already being done by Zwiebelchen.

Level 18
It was discussed before.

As SHBlade already mentioned, there are two things that kill this idea for me:

1) the Dota 2 editor still be constantly changed (I need a stable environment to work with, not one that is still subject to frequent system changes)
2) starting from scratch would take time that I don't have. I'm doing this as a non-profit leisure activity. I simply see no way to fit "starting all over again" into my schedule.

Then add in the fact that I don't like DOTA 2 per se for several reasons:
- when it comes to sheer popularity, League beats DOTA 2 hands down
- Heroes of the Storm has much better aesthetics and profits from the popularity of the blizzard franchises

Switching to DOTA 2 would be playing dice.

Not really, 90% of league's playerbase is just basically people who logged in once and never again and/or people who play facebook games, you can't get a community out of that.

Meanwhile in dota everyone has played custom maps before. (this is why reborn has virtually no dota games being found compared to custom maps)

Status
Not open for further replies.