• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • ✅ The POLL for Hive's Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Vote for the TOP 3 SKINS! 🔗Click here to cast your vote!

Which is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hey y'all!

I am currently in the process of buying a second hand PC. I have 2 options available at the moment, but I'm not that clued up on all the technical jargon... :vw_wtf:

Basically I want to know if PC2 is R2000 'more computer' than PC1.

[Note 'R' = South African Rand (ZAR)]

Check out the specs attached.

Option 1 = R 5500 [or $766, roughly]

Option 2 = R 7500 [or $1044, roughly]

Attachments

• PC1.jpg
    PC1.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 148
  • PC2.jpg
    PC2.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 187
Level 34
I'd say both computers are a good choice, it just depends if you want to spend the extra. What you get with the second build is worth the price difference in my opinion.

CPU: Not sure what speed the AMD core is, but the Intel core is a really good one.

RAM: The first build uses DDR2 which is obviously not as good as DDR3. Not a huge difference though.

GPU: The first build has a good solid graphics card, but the second build has two really good cards in SLI. I'd love to have them. I'd almost be willing to spend the extra just for these.

It would be good to know what power supplies they're using as well.

Level 22
Both have really poor RAM, but the second one has better RAM. The CPU on the first one is better on cost/performance, but it's an old (OLD) model. The MOBO is also an old model. I have the M4A79T Deluxe version, which is really awesome.

Also, both have nVidia GPU's so you better go with the second one which has an Intel CPU (nVidia should go with Intel, while ATI should go with AMD).

Level 4
@ Giles: I was told that it is one graphics card with 2 GPU's. Also then, possibilities of SLI to 4x?

PSU - Option 1 - 500w
- Option 2 - 750w

@ The Reborn Devil: Okay, a bit of a broad question, but what then would you recommend as a decent gaming PC and how much (more or less) would that cost?

Level 22
That's completely false. It doesn't make any difference which GPU is with which CPU.
It is known that if you got an nVidia GPU you should get an Intel CPU. I can't remember the specifics, but they work better together. Of course, only speedfreaks will notice the difference.

@ The Reborn Devil: Okay, a bit of a broad question, but what then would you recommend as a decent gaming PC and how much (more or less) would that cost?
Well, the latest AMD Phenom II x4 (or x6 if you want). Make sure it's the AM3 version @ 3.6 GHz.
Get a motherboard designed for AM3 CPUs. For example the ASUS M4A79T Deluxe version, although that one is getting a bit old. Get an ATI GPU as those are a lot cheaper, like an ATI Radeon HD 6000 series. Go for 2 of them if you want.
Get DDR3 RAM. I have 2x Corsair Vengeance 4GB @ 1600 MHz.

Not exactly sure what it would cost for you, but for me it's relatively cheap if you buy the parts and build the computer yourself.

Level 4
sweet.

no other 'wierd' stuff I have to consider? like a new (put fancy PC jargon word here) coming out in November, or something??!

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Both computer are about 2 years old or more.
The Core2Quad has been replaced by the I5 and I7 series for over 2 years now.
Both use Geforce 200 series cards with DX10 support (replaced by the 400 and 500 series with DX11 support for about 2 years now).

The computer on the right (PC2?) is better than the left in almost every way. Especially note the much higher resolution display (which I hope is included) as that might be worth the extra money.

PC2 will easilly max games like SC2 (it is not weak) but it will age prety noticably as more and more games start using tesselation (requires a DX11 compatible card with both do not have).

Level 4
You see... and that's why knowing this stuff is important!
now I can make an informed decision...

thanks to all who contributed, much appreciated!

... as more and more games start using tesselation ...

equals

new (put fancy PC jargon word here) coming

I knew it... :grin:

Level 34
PC2 will easilly max games like SC2 (it is not weak) but it will age prety noticably as more and more games start using tesselation (requires a DX11 compatible card with both do not have).
I doubt those cards would "age pretty noticeably". Sure they might not run a game next year on the highest settings possible, but in no way will it be bad. I've been using my Radeon HD 4800 (512mb) for three years and still run new games on high settings (no AA usually). DX 11 might make a big difference in a year, but I doubt it.

You make a decision Kno_Mad? I'm interested to know which one you're going with. I'm definitely jealous, wish I could afford some upgrades myself. :p

Level 20
I dislike the options if only for the processors. If you would build your own system, you could get something like an i5-2500K for less money, and it would be more powerful. I would also drop a disc drive or two (or three), and get a single high performance graphics card.

You know, I'm not very knowledgeable in this, but it seems to me like 2 GTX 295's is a shitload of graphics power... like an unnecessary amount.

EDIT: Your RAM is 666 MHz? I really feel like you'd be bottlenecked there, with your extreme graphics but shitty RAM and old processor.

Level 4
First of all, thanks again for everyone's comments. I really appreciate it!

You make a decision Kno_Mad? I'm interested to know which one you're going with. I'm definitely jealous, wish I could afford some upgrades myself. :p

Well at the moment I'm definitely leaning towards PC2 (the more expensive one). In light of what has been said here, I feel that would be a better option going into the future. (tasselation or not!)

Now, just to get some clarity on the following:

I would also drop a disc drive or two (or three)

I realise you are recommending what is best, but keep in mind that both computers are currently owned by a friend of mine (one his, the other his dad's). The thing is that they are both getting laptops and are thus selling their desktop PC's.

Therefore, this is not a 'build', it is a 2nd hand buy, so "dropping" components is not really possible. (unless I buy it and then sell off individual components, but seriously, how much can you really sell a 2nd hand DVD writer for??!)

However, I do appreciate your input. It is something to consider. Thanks!

and get a single high performance graphics card.

I have had a look at both PC's (opened them up, looked at hardware etc.) Neither of them have 2 Graphics cards (i.e 2 Cards in Sli). The GTX 295 is 1 card with 2 GPU's (Graphic's Cores) on the single card, so dropping half is kind impossible... (well, unless you take an axe to it... XD)

Question: Would it then be possible in future to get another GTX 295 (there is another slot on the MOBO) and effectively get GPU x4? and then would that be worth it provided advances in technology?

Your RAM is 666 MHz

This, I fully agree with... RAM is a bit weak...

I have 2 questions though:

1 - Is 2 Gig of 1600MHz that much better than 4 Gig of 666Mhz?

2 - The PC (PC2) has 2 more open/unused RAM slots, could I get say 4 Gig 1600Mhz (2 x 2Gig) and run it together with the current 4 Gig of 666Mhz? (total of 8Gig, but different speeds)

how does one quote with names and references?

Level 22
I would just recommend removing the 666MHz RAM and replace it with 2x 4GB 1600MHz RAM. Assuming you have DDR3 support. I couldn't find my own version on that site, but I didn't buy it from newegg though. Mine has CAS Latency 6 and not 8 and is designed for AMD Phenom II.

Here's a pic of the RAM:
20-233-147-TS

Level 20
I realise you are recommending what is best, but keep in mind that both computers are currently owned by a friend of mine (one his, the other his dad's). The thing is that they are both getting laptops and are thus selling their desktop PC's.
The usual reason for buying 2nd hand computers is saving money because you don't care about old parts and usage. However, you seem to want a performance computer, and if you'd build one yourself, not only would you save money but you'd get a better build.

In any case, this is the RAM that I got and it's pretty baller. Of course, make sure your motherboard supports it before buying anything.
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428

Level 4
You must remember that he is in South Africa (or atleast that would be the only reason to provide a rand price). Last I heard, IT stuff was quite a bit more expensive/less available there for what you get compared to countries like the US and UK.

exactly... that RAM you guys recommended, I can't find any listings of it in SA. i don't think it's here. s#it, this is what my internet line looks like!! great 'aint it...

However, you seem to want a performance computer, and if you'd build one yourself, not only would you save money but you'd get a better build.

that makes perfect sense!

Level 34
The usual reason for buying 2nd hand computers is saving money because you don't care about old parts and usage. However, you seem to want a performance computer, and if you'd build one yourself, not only would you save money but you'd get a better build.
Are you sure? It all depends on what prices are like in SA, just like DSG said. My research shows they are really high.

http://www.pcshopping.co.za/pages/4370976/computer-hardware.asp
http://www.comx-computers.co.za/computer-hardware.php?cat=572

Building your computer is usually the best way to go, but if you're buying from a friend there's a good chance you're getting a good deal, and it might be well worth it.

I'm no expert though, take what I say with a grain of salt.

Level 4
take what I say with a grain of salt.

internet forum... I always do ;)

RE: links you posted... I can get components at about 85% - 95% of the price at the sites linked.... Still building a decent new PC (1/1.5 year old technology) would entail +/- R10 000. Versus the R7 500 for PC1 (2/2.5 year old stuff).

The way it stands now, I'm not rushing into Jack! I'd rather give it a couple months and see what goes for what.

Thanks again for everyone's comment. Really helped me out!

Level 27
sweet.

no other 'wierd' stuff I have to consider? like a new (put fancy PC jargon word here) coming out in November, or something??!

You mean like the AMD Bulldozer or the AMD 7000 series? =p Don't know when that will be released (in 2012?) but it won't be cheap.

Btw... doesn't the right configuration trash the left one? 2 GPU's?

Level 4
Btw... doesn't the right configuration trash the left one? 2 GPU's?

definitely, but the CPU is better on the other one.... (it works better at least, loads games an stuff faster etc. I'v seen it happen!)

Furthermore, I decided to not go for either of them. I realised I was just looking for a cheap way out of my current 'no PC predicament' and that buying cheap will eventually work out more expansive! As was mentioned in the thread, the components are all 2 years old and with new tech. like AMD Bulldozer or the AMD 7000 series and DX11 coming out soon, the games are sure to follow suit. These machines just won't be able to keep up in 2/3 yrs time!

I want to thank everyone for their inputs, It helped me to 'see the light' XD.

Stay Cool!

(O, and mod.... u can prob. close this now! Ty!)

Level 27
Eh, the they're both almost equal in core clock speed and the intel one has 12MB l2 cache compared to the 6MB cache of the AMD one. I think they are pretty equal... maybe the intel one might be a bit better though i'm not sure. Anyway, i thought that bulldozer and the 7000 series are both going to cost like at least 300 for a mid-end component. So that would be 600 euros for just a processor and videocard without motherboard, RAM or anything. I think you could wait for bulldozer to come out which will make the prices of older CPU's drop and then buy one of the X6 thingies and a "low-end" 7000 series card that will probably run faster than a 6970. At least i would probably plan to do that sometime =p

Level 4
DX11 has been out for some time now.

okay, fair enough, I agree, DX11 probably not the best way to describe it, but i was tired, and lazy... I was kind of referring to the "tasselations" (and whatnot!), that will be more prominent in games coming out in the next 2/3 years, or how ever long it takes till they come up with a new thing...

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Tesselation shaders have existed for like well over 5 years now. However they were a special AMD (ATI at the time) feature only which needed programmers to use a special plugin. It never caught on until microsoft made it part of the Direct3D standard.

Now every modern card supports them.

Level 4
You're not making sense.

know you know what you are working with... hence this thread...

and what I mean is: "New Stuff" (can't make it simpler than that!)

@ Dr Super Good: thanks, now I know...

Status
Not open for further replies.