• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Which edition of 3ds MAX should I buy?

Which edition of 3ds MAX do you recommend?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Which edition of 3ds MAX do you recommend?

:goblin_yeah: Greetings,

This is a public poll to determine which version of 3ds MAX is most recommended for Warcraft 3 and Starcraft 2 Modelers.

The program is beyond most people's price range but for those who are serious modelers and want to save up to afford it they should know exactly which edition is the most compatible with Warcraft 3 and Starcraft 2 and the available modding tools.

3ds MAX Editions Poll
3ds MAX 2011
3ds MAX 2010
3ds MAX 2009
3ds MAX 2008
3ds MAX 2007
3ds MAX 2006
3ds MAX 2005
Alternatively, if you feel there is a program far superior to 3ds MAX for modeling then feel free to share your opinion - and include 'why' you are partial to it.

Level 4
I concur that it is sensible to avoid 2011. The most advanced version that supports popular tools and file-types would be ideal. You think 2010 falls into that category?

Edit:

Hi Grey Nightmare, I didn't see your post... I've been using the 2011 free trial for about a month now and it is very easy to use and quite awesome, but I can't compare it with other versions because I haven't tried them. I would have to say, however, that the biggest shortcoming of 2011 is the lack of compatibility with available exporters and tools. Importing .mdx animations using sc2mapsters plug-in, for example, seems to be problematic.

Out of curiosity, how does your friend get by with it?

Level 4
@ Thyrael: out of curiosity, how long would it take you to make a basic model like a footman that is fully functional in wc3? The main boon of the newer versions is features that make work-flow a lot faster, I've heard.

Although I lack the experience, I'm going to place my vote on 2010...

------------

Cast more votes! We only have NINE right now. Anyone else have a preference?

Last edited:
Level 8
I use 3ds MAX 2009, though I havent really been able to make a model from it yet... (i'm not good at this kind of work... I can make objects I think but I dont know how to animate, put textures... etc... ^^)

Have you tried using the help files or Google? I've never used 3DS Max, but I know that the help files for Maya 8 are really really nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.