• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Where to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hello, I started thinking of making a Warcraft III map a week ago, and thus have spent this past week researching on the Warcraft III World editor. However, with no prior knowledge of scripts and triggers, I got pretty lost in the huge amount of information required regarding map making. Still, I am really interested in learning and using the World editor and also stuff like JASS(which I don't know anything about). Hence, I'm posting this thread in hope that someone can give me some advice on where to start from. I hope I didn't post this in the wrong section. XD.

Level 2
A great way to start is by just making a Melee Map - a map with 2 or more start locations with ample resources, and no custom objects or triggers. Basically, make a pretty landscape, throw up some trees and a few gold mines, and add a start location for each player. When you add start locations, make sure that a transparent Hall appears in the circle - that means you've put the start location in a valid spot where the game can create starting units. The editor starts you off with 2 players by default, but you can add more players (up to 12) by going to Scenario>Player Properties. Once you have all your players, your terrain, and your resources, you can add extra goodies like Goblin Merchants, Mercenary Camps, etc. You can also add Neutral Hostile units. Neutral Hostile units are usually anything from Murlocs to Ice Revenants, and as you learn more you can even use Racially Aligned units like Necromancers, Knights, Archers, and Demolishers as Neutral Hostile Units.

That's just a way to get started - there are millions of other things you can do with the Editor. You can make anything from a map about sheep herding to Warcraft III Chess!

Level 2
this isnt the wrong section ^^

(at least i don't think so o_O .. i don't spend much time here on the hive)

I recommend that when first starting out, you play with things like the terrain editor, and object editor.

Play with cliffs, and the types of water, doodads, ect.

When you get into the object editor, stick with units for a while. That way you can get a feel for what thing's do what (being as a lot of it is similar throughout the entirety of it.)
Things such as the RGB coloring of the editor, or scaling value, and other neat and simple things :D

As far as triggering and jass, i wouldn't worry too much about that if you're just starting out. Especially if you don't have any scripting background prior to Warcraft. When you do feel confident enough to try and tackle it, however, i would recommend starting with Gui (Given your backround, as noted) If you start to really get into it, then try and learn some jass. It's quite difficult compared to Gui, however is much more powerful. (Most of the added stuff you wouldn't need anyway)

There are plenty of tutorials laying around, and if you need a problem or just find something that you're curious about, post either here or on thehelper.net

someone will do their best to help you out :D

Level 30
First thing that is always needed to start a good map is the idea. Get the idea and start working it, like, a small, fast RPG or something like that, until you get main skills for further working. I suggest to not make big maps until you get primary basic knowledge. After you implemented your idea in your head, do the terrain and doodad/destructible jobs first, to get the shape in your head. Then go around here, ask this or that, get help and advices. Run around the resources section on the hive, but never flood your maps with size. Play with WE (no matter how weird that sounds) and find out new things. You should also check the tutorials for beginners on the Hive.

I hope I helped.
Good luck with mapping ;)

Level 11
You should also check the tutorials for beginners on the Hive.

Very good thing.

Also, like with anything creative you do, get into thinking about what WE maps you could make. There is nothing more entertaining than sitting on the train for school and making up maps in your head.

Start out with experimenting, then look for tutorials.

Triggers come later.

Yours,
Chizume

Level 3
Wow thanks for all the great advice. One question though, I've finally managed to come up with a general layout for my map. Any idea which aspect i should start with? (e.g. spells, terraining, units)

Level 11
Any idea which aspect i should start with? (e.g. spells, terraining, units)

Depends on what you like and perhaps later what you are specialized in.

I usually start with object editing, then move on to triggering and last terrain. But this also depends on what kind of map you are creating. Sometimes I do a temporary terrain to get an idea of how it should look like. Then move on from there.

Yours,
Chizume

Status
Not open for further replies.