• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

[Crash] Can't start World Editor because of missing mss32.dll

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hi everyone, I'm having an issue where I can't start world editor because of a missing mss32.dll. It's the same problem as in this old thread:
[Crash] - Need Help!! I have an Issue regarding WE not starting!

I tried downloading a few different versions of mss32.dll on the web, but after putting that file in the game directory, I got another error:

Code:
The procedure entry point_AIL_release_3D_sample_handle@4 could not be located in the dynamic link library D:\Program Files (x86)\Warcraft III\worldedit.exe

I used world editor maybe as recently as a few months ago (definitely within the past year), so I'm not sure what broke. :(

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Please update your Warcraft III install to 1.31.1 (latest at time of posting). If you already have then you are trying to launch World Editor from a different and unsupported installation of Warcraft III. If this is the case you may need to reinstall Warcraft III using the downloader and possibly remove all other parallel installations.

We can tell you are using an older version because there is no "Warcraft III\worldedit.exe" in the current version of Warcraft III. The executable was renamed to World Editor.exe and is now in a build sub folder of either x86 or x86-64. For example Warcraft III\x86_64\World Editor.exe.

If you are purposely trying to use an unsupported legacy version then you will need to reinstall it as something must have gone wrong and removed that dll file from the installation folder path. Be aware that downloading an installation from a file sharing site has serious risks associated with it as any of the required dll files or run executables might easily be infected with malware. It is up to you to find a reliable and safe source of the legacy game version.

Level 3
Please update your Warcraft III install to 1.31.1 (latest at time of posting). If you already have then you are trying to launch World Editor from a different and unsupported installation of Warcraft III. If this is the case you may need to reinstall Warcraft III using the downloader and possibly remove all other parallel installations.

We can tell you are using an older version because there is no "Warcraft III\worldedit.exe" in the current version of Warcraft III. The executable was renamed to World Editor.exe and is now in a build sub folder of either x86 or x86-64. For example Warcraft III\x86_64\World Editor.exe.

If you are purposely trying to use an unsupported legacy version then you will need to reinstall it as something must have gone wrong and removed that dll file from the installation folder path. Be aware that downloading an installation from a file sharing site has serious risks associated with it as any of the required dll files or run executables might easily be infected with malware. It is up to you to find a reliable and safe source of the legacy game version.

Ah perfect, thank you Dr Super Good. I hadn't opened the x86_64 folders since I just thought those were internal files for the game. Opening "World Editor.exe" worked perfectly.

Edit: actually now I'm getting this error when I try to open up Legion TD:
https://i.imgur.com/8pQmiX0.png

Specifically it errors when in the middle of loading triggers.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Edit: actually now I'm getting this error when I try to open up Legion TD:
https://i.imgur.com/8pQmiX0.png

Specifically it errors when in the middle of loading triggers.
Likely related to trigger comments. This is a known issue that should be fixed with the next release of Warcraft III. Unfortunately that release might end up being Reforged depending on if Blizzard is willing to do another bugfix patch or not.

If you send me the map privately I can try removing the trigger comments to get it to load. If that fails and I cannot see any other reason why I can then forward it on to Willy (Blizzard, works on World Editor) to debug further.

Level 3
Likely related to trigger comments. This is a known issue that should be fixed with the next release of Warcraft III. Unfortunately that release might end up being Reforged depending on if Blizzard is willing to do another bugfix patch or not.

If you send me the map privately I can try removing the trigger comments to get it to load. If that fails and I cannot see any other reason why I can then forward it on to Willy (Blizzard, works on World Editor) to debug further.

Thanks for the quick reply. The map is publicly available, so I can just provide the link:
http://legiontd.com/map/file/Legion150c - Editor's Version.w3x

Good to know about the state of Reforged as well.

Level 3
This was related to trigger comments. Here is a version which opens in standard World Editor 1.31.1 (x86-64 tested).

Awesome, works perfectly! Curious what the issue was - usually comments aren't supposed to break things :p

Status
Not open for further replies.