• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

MSVCR120.dll is missing. Can't start WE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Help! After I format my computer because of a hardware failure caused by Windows Update, I can no longer run World Editor (NewGen). Pls help me. When I start WE, its says

"The program can't start because MSVCR120.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

I don't believe reinstalling World Editor will fix this problem,but if that's my final option,I'll do it.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
a hardware failure caused by Windows Update
Windows Update cannot cause hardware to fail...

"The program can't start because MSVCR120.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."
I don't believe reinstalling World Editor will fix this problem,but if that's my final option,I'll do it.
Try googleing the dll... Its a very, very, VERY common problem!

WC3 was meant to automatically install the MSVC C++ runtimes it needed when it updated to 1.27a. However it did not, probably as an oversight. This is very common oversight though, with a lot of game companies and software developers making the same mistake with software updates.

Tried that, but my computer is running in x32 and there's only x64 and x86. Are there any other options?
x86 is what Windows call "32 bit". x64 is actually x86-64, an extension to x86 and is what windows calls "64 bit". The joke is that neither have anything to do with bits really. A computer running x86 with Physical Address Extension (PAE) (all modern processors?) can address more than 4 GB of memory, just not non-server versions of Windows as a matter of licencing (they force a 4GB limit that does not exist). x86-64 only added 64bit registers and instructions but modern operating systems make use of 128 bit (or more) registers and instructions with instruction set extensions.

Windows Update cannot cause hardware to fail...

I'm not sure what it caused. My dad said it was a hardware failure tho,so that's what I think it is. It made me stuck at a black screen right after the blinking underscore . Pressing the F8 didn't do anything.

Try googleing the dll... Its a very, very, VERY common problem!

I did. But since I dunno that x86 is the same as x32 , I asked here for help instead.

WC3 was meant to automatically install the MSVC C++ runtimes it needed when it updated to 1.27a. However it did not, probably as an oversight. This is very common oversight though, with a lot of game companies and software developers making the same mistake with software updates.

I updated WIII to 1.27a long before the Windows Update happens.

x86 is what Windows call "32 bit". x64 is actually x86-64, an extension to x86 and is what windows calls "64 bit". The joke is that neither have anything to do with bits really. A computer running x86 with Physical Address Extension (PAE) (all modern processors?) can address more than 4 GB of memory, just not non-server versions of Windows as a matter of licencing (they force a 4GB limit that does not exist). x86-64 only added 64bit registers and instructions but modern operating systems make use of 128 bit (or more) registers and instructions with instruction set extensions.

:ogre_icwydt: Okaaaaaaay....

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

I'm not sure what it caused. My dad said it was a hardware failure tho,so that's what I think it is. It made me stuck at a black screen right after the blinking underscore . Pressing the F8 didn't do anything.
Maybe bootloader isn't run? Use Puppy Linux > grub4dos.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Level 15
I only put MSVCR120.dll that I downloaded from random site and it works! Got this problem like 10 times on last 2 years and always forgot how to fix it properly until I installed random games that has some random redist in there and installed by itself.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
In order to avoid some of these missing dll issues, one should consider installing (depending on OS):
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable
- the DirectX 9.0c End-User Runtime

Optional / deprecated?
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable
- Microsoft Visual Basic 6 SP6 Runtime (as well as previous VB Runtimes)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
that I downloaded from random site and it works!
And it also probably gave you a virus... Do not download such common use software from non official sources. All the MSVC redistributables should come from a Microsoft signed site and the installers are signed by Microsoft.

In order to avoid some of these missing dll issues, one should consider installing (depending on OS):
They should be automatically installed. However companies forget they have migrated so do not run the proper installation process. Steam is a good example of what should happen, with the pre-launch being able to force install missing libraries before trying to start the game.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Microsoft says the 2017 Redistributable can be installed on XP SP3 and Vista SP2:
Visual Studio 2017 System Requirements
Confirmed for XP SP3, with the 2017 Redistributable v14.10.25008.0

It would seem Visual C++ 2017 builds upon and expands Visual C++ 2015. Therefore, any 2015 Redistributable entry in Add / Remove Programs should be automatically replaced by a 2017 one, since this Redistributable seems to be considered as an upgrade of sorts.

The Visual C++ 2017 Redistributable does not replace the Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
It would seem Visual C++ 2017 builds upon and expands Visual C++ 2015. Therefore, any 2015 Redistributable entry in Add / Remove Programs should be automatically replaced by a 2017 one, since this Redistributable seems to be considered as an upgrade of sorts.

The Visual C++ 2017 Redistributable does not replace the Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable.
Visual C++ 2017 is still in pre release. It is for MSVC 2017 which is still at the RC stage of development. I would advise against people installing it until it is officially released, unless you have good reason to such as are already preparing to release some software using 2017 so need access to it early.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2017 v14.10.25008.0 is the RTM package. Based on chocolatey.org's version history, I understand they have left the RC stage of development.
Chocolatey Gallery | Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2017 RTM 14.10.25008.0

The official announcement for the release of Visual Studio 2017 was made on March 9, 2017 or so it seems
Visual Studio 2017 Release Notes

I understand the first official build for end-users is the 26628.04 one, from March 7. Therefore, end-users may wish to wait for the corresponding Redistributable build to ship. I noticed a minor flaw with the installer of build 25008 on XP: it may add a duplicate entry in 'Add/Remove Programs', when the installer is run more than once.

The Visual C++ 2017 Redistributable can be found here, under 'Other Tools and Frameworks':
Downloads | Visual Studio Official Site

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.