• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

[Role Playing Game] When is imitation too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I've been playing a lot of Titan Land(It's all i play), and I've decided to start development on my own version of it. There some features from the other versions that I'd like in my own. But where is the limit? Is it accepted to ask people on the forums for help with copying features? If it matters to the question I'll try to elaborate, but I'd just like the general opinion first.

Level 23
The thing is that he has so many questions

None of which are related to WE mechanics.
Theyre all design related, hence Map Dev is definitely the forum they go in.

Anyway back on topic.
The question you should ask yourself is; after youre done copying all the said features, do you have any inspiration to work on the map further?
Basically, are you inspired enough to work beyond just copying the core features?

Level 2
The thing is that he has so many questions
I looked through it, and i can find 2 question marks. And even then it's basically only one question. I don't really see how the amount of questions has any relevance to anything in this case either.
The question you should ask yourself is; after youre done copying all the said features, do you have any inspiration to work on the map further?
Basically, are you inspired enough to work beyond just copying the core features?
What i fear, though, is that if i ask for help copying some of the features, I'll put myself in a bad spot because I'm openly asking people to help me "steal ideas". I'm not quite sure what the general attitude towards those kind of things is on the hive.

Last edited:
Level 23
What i fear, though, is that if i ask for help copying some of the features, I'll put myself in a bad spot because I'm openly asking people to help me "steal ideas". I'm not quite sure what the general attitude towards those kind of things is on the hive.

Features get copied all the time, its only a problem if you lift the actual script directly form the said map.

Level 30

Copying features always happens but if your gonna apply it in your map. You should avoid completely copying the feautures, at least make some changes and through it maybe you can make a completely new thing...:grin:

Level 7
I don;t think your breaking any rules by copying the map but I have to aks what the point is? If theres already a good quality map out there of Titans land why do we need another.

What new features will this have and how will you make it different?

Level 2
I don;t think your breaking any rules by copying the map but I have to aks what the point is? If theres already a good quality map out there of Titans land why do we need another.

What new features will this have and how will you make it different?
Hmm... There's a bunch of things that I'm not entirely happy with in the other ones. I have some ideas(that i of course can't remember off the top of my head xD), that I think would add to the experience.
I've not gotten very far into project yet, so I'm still at the point of recreating the core features, but one thing I'll be doing is that I play another version of Titan Land while developing, and feel like a certain feature would be useful there, I'll add it to my own.

Status
Not open for further replies.