• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

What's a good GAMER comp ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Okay, so, recently, I tried playing a slightly "old" game on my computer : Hitman: Blood Money. I bought it considering my specs past those required and yet... the lag killed it.

A friend of mine bought me Splinter Cell Double Agent (which I've played before, you know ? not that big) and my computer COULD NOT even run it.
I've recently played Fallout: 3 on a rented Xbox and woah... worst game in the series ... (not that bad but... still...).

ANYWAYS, I have made it my New Year's resolution to start putting money to a good project : A Gamer Computer. So far I have 2122, 27 $ !!! (I know they cost alot but it's a start).

Anyways... I don't want to buy an Xbox 'cause it's gettin' old so it's no longer like next gen or whatever + I want better graphics + I like modeable content + I just like things that don't suffer obvious design flaws (hint hint... overheating...)

After making such an investment, alot of questions come to mind.

A) Is it a good idea to buy a gamer comp NOW or should I wait (will games continue developping at the same rate as during the last 2 years or will it steady down ?).

B) I've had this computer since meh ? 2002. Will I have to buy another one in 7 years (practically the same question as above)

C) Any names that come to mind as KILLER comps ?

D) Any prices I should get ready for ?

Sincerely,

-Princess ov Doom

Level 15
2122 USD would buy and build a very nice and high-end gaming computer, at least in the USA.

A) There are advantages and disadvantages to buying now. But waiting will generally always give you better parts, since things get better over time.

B) Yes. 7 years with a computer is a nice long lifetime.

C) Hmm. I generally just build them from scratch, instead of paying someone to do the same thing.

D) $2000 USD is about right for a really high end machine. $1000 would build a great machine too, just slightly less cutting-edge.

Level 34
2122 USD would buy and build a very nice and high-end gaming computer, at least in the USA.

A) There are advantages and disadvantages to buying now. But waiting will generally always give you better parts, since things get better over time.

B) Yes. 7 years with a computer is a nice long lifetime.

C) Hmm. I generally just build them from scratch, instead of paying someone to do the same thing.

D) $2000 USD is about right for a really high end machine. $1000 would build a great machine too, just slightly less cutting-edge.
Yeah, I'd say spending over $1500 is a bit of a waste. Once you get into the $2000 range the difference isn't worth your money imo.

I'd build my computer now, at $2000 you won't have to worry about games outdating your computer for a while. My friend has had his PC (not custom built) for around five years or so. He threw in a new graphics card and some ram (DDR) and it can play all the latest games.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The fact is that nowdays the graphics from cards like the top range nvidia are so good, they can not produce graphics that look bad unless that is the games maximum. Even if in the next 5 years you are unable to run games on medium and have to go low, I can assure you they will still look better than anything the 360 is capable of and probably lag less.

Status
Not open for further replies.