• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Building a new b0x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
Ok, so I've decided I'm going to do things right this time and actually build my next computer instead of buying it at the store, to save money and to get a better computer. The problem is, I don't know shit about computers; what parts to buy, where to buy them from, etc. Can anyone help me out here?

I don't want to have to spend too much money, but I want an up-to-date computer that will run new games.

Level 34
You're in the US correct? Well I'd post on a computer hardware forum for a more professional opinion, but we can help you too. Perhaps if you can poke Samuraid out of inactivity to help you, he basically guided me through my build.

You'll want to use this site for your ordering. http://www.newegg.com/
Don't trust the reviews on that site though. Google the parts for a much better review from somewhere like Tom's Hardware.

First off, what is your budget? Second, do you have an old computer to salvage parts from?

Level 12
Best get a Radeon, 4670 is perfect/low budget.
DDR2 ram, about 4 gigs.
Core 2 duo, or if you don't want efficiency and you can afford it PHENOM. Or else i7, but theyre expensive.
A good soundcard is Creative Sound blaster.
Also, you'll want a big HDD, and the best Optical drive you can get.

Level 34
Best get a Radeon, 4670 is perfect/low budget.
DDR2 ram, about 4 gigs.
Core 2 duo, or if you don't want efficiency and you can afford it PHENOM. Or else i7, but theyre expensive.
A good soundcard is Creative Sound blaster.
Also, you'll want a big HDD, and the best Optical drive you can get.
Don't bother giving out ideas until we have a budget.
Also there's no need for a sound card. As far as I know, Void doesn't do anything that would require it. A big HDD is not at all necessary. This is a gaming rig, so you might as well save on HDD space, and spend it on a better card. Optical drives should not cost more than $30, not sure what kind of drive is the best. I would say Blue Ray is, but obviously thats probably not in his budget.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
You can get 1 TB HDDs for only like 50$ nowdays from the right supliers, one of those and your all set. If you need performance for gaming you could RAID1 two of them together for nearly double read speed or you could set up an RAID3 with 3 of them (depends on how much you want to spend on storage).

Well for actual core you could have 2 approaches, the one is trying to get a cheap setup uing an intel I7, probably with only 3 GB RAM, the other is a 4GB ram setup using a highend quad core, you do not have to get all the RAM at once and could probably get more when it is needed.

For graphics, I adivse getting eithor a very low end geforce 200 series like the 250 or probably a geforce 9 card as they are going to get cheaper as production of them has stopped. I do not know ATI well so I can not recommend you any from them but a geforce 9600 will be ample to play a lot of modern games decently at the high end of settings.

For OS I advise vista but with upgrade voucher if you can get hold of a copy. Yes you will be stuck with vista for a while but in a few months you will get the ability to upgrade to windows 7 for free. Whats better is if your not in europe, you can even do it without reinstalling the OS (unlike me who will have to (stupid EU)).

A simple DVD reader or write should be enough, as all modern games run from HDD and do not need to actually read the disk so speed is only a once off concern.

You may also wish to wait a few months, as componets only get cheaper due to becoming dated fast, thus when the next generation come out towards christmass the current will fall inprice so you could save up to get a good christmass present for yourself with specs far superior to what you can aford currently.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
A sound card has a processor dedicated to sound based operations and also generally has a much higher bit rate output than normal integrated soundcards on motherboards. However this is only important if you make music, as the standard bitrate of songs downloaded is far below that which even ones integrated into motherboards are capable of these days so no difference would be heard.

Soundcards do not load the CPU as much as integrated sound does so you do get a performance boost. However almost every modern game is not optimized to take advantage of them so you would get better performance just by spending that money on the next model of a processor.

Infact windows vista and 7 do not even support sound cards directly (DX10 has no interfaces for them) and so even with one, your CPU will still generate the sound. To top this they often have compatibility problems with games causing them to run slower if not at all than they could if you just stuck to integrated sound. Thus in short unless you are specificly creating music using high bitrate parts, then you will have wasted the money and energy getting a sound card as it does shit all for your games.

You can get some I7 rigs for 1000£, but that is a little bit more than 1000$ so you will probably have to stick with the core2 quad range with ddr2 and geforce 9 series.

Level 34
Here's a build for you. Grabbed off another site I used to hang around.

Mobo/CPU Combo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.205339

RAM/HDD Combo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.199064

Case/PSU Combo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.197377

GPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150359

That should put you in the $600 range. Definitely a good build.
Might want a bigger PSU though. That would put you at about $650. If you need an Optical Drive, that'll be another $20.

Level 3
Level 34
Well all the deals I posted are done, so that mobo/cpu brayden430 posted would be good. A lot of people are going with that combo these days.

That PSU is sketchy. I know the Thermaltake (Purepower 450 watt) is a no-no. Not sure about the 500. I wouldn't suggest buying it. The Tough Power series is a much better supply.

For the RAM, I'd pay a little extra for these guys.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231209

Level 15
Why change the board?

4gb of DDR2 costs about $40 for a decent set, and that board is $55 off with the CPU, there is a DDR2 board for $15 more with the CPU however, but why not get DDR3 anyways? The DDR3 ram is $75, so $20 for more performance I think is good.

And if you think he should go for Intel, the closest Intel in performance is the Q6/Q8/E8's and last time I checked, the cheapest out of all of those is still $50 more.

Although, I just found something really good on Newegg, for $30 more you can get can get this Mobo/CPU and pair it with this RAM and get a hell of alot more performance.

That CPU is about equal to a Q9550

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
There are only 4 Major common RAM eaters.
They are professional audio editing / creation which as someone told me can use well over 8 GB due to ultra high def audio fragments being hundreds of MBs a piece.
High quality rendering of computer generated images, whereby due to the render process GBs of image data can be produced and modified at the same time resulting in the need for huge ammounts of RAM for efficent use. Fractals are one example of this.
Virtual drives, where by whole areas of RAM are mapped as backing storage for ultra fast use for soe scientific purpose (Not really a common use).
Servers, whereby alrge ammounts of data has to be buffered and cached for optimum preformance.

I have 6 GB of RAM and generally I have not used over 2 GB of that currently, even with windows vista eating up 1 GB of it and running a 64 bit OS (which uses double the RAM for some tasks based on code).

Also if you want to use over 4 GB of combined RAM (graphics and normal) then you will need a 64 bit OS. XP 32 only maps 3 GB while vista 32 4 GB, with any excess being unmapped and wasted. Thus instead of plonking in umpteen GBs of RAM, rather resort to installing a nescescary ammount of faster RAM. Although 8 GB sounds nice and powerful, you get no preformance gain from using only 2-4 GBs of it. If you install 6 GB of faster RAM on the other hand, yes preformance drops if over 6 GB are used, but for when functioning below that it will preform better as RAM speeds does help improve system speed slightly.

Thus it is a good idea not to overdo RAM, yes 4 GB is a modern minimum for vista that nearly every PC should have, but anything above that only will be used if you do something that needs that much, which 95% of people do not.

Status
Not open for further replies.