• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

New Computer???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Hi!

Since some weeks I'm thinking about a new computer.
Even though my current computer is good enough for the most things I use, I want a new one soon because it needs a lot time until you can run programms like internet-explorer after starting the computer. Later on its much faster and the speed is ok/good.
Here my system:

Intel Pentium D [2x1.5GHz]
2046MB RAM
ATI Radeon X600 [256MB]
80GB Hard-Drive :)cry:)

Do you think it would be worth to buy a new one soon?
I also picked one out for 699Euro :p

Level 34
Sounds like you might have spyware, you might just want to clean your computer up. Try running spybot or a similar program. As well, I'd suggest reinstalling Windows, if that's what you use, and it should run faster. You could also clean the inside of your tower (be sure to unplug all power cables first).

If you game much (I would think you do some gaming, being on a wc3 mod site) you might want to get a better video card. Spending around 100EU should give you more than significant improvements.

I'm on a 90GB HDD right now, and I'm happy with it. Although my 500 GB should arrive sometimes today.
:p

The "worth to buy a new one", is up to you. Do you think it is? You said your happy with yours, I'd suggest just cleaning it, and trying to improve the speed.

Level 15
Sounds like you might have spyware, you might just want to clean your computer up. Try running spybot or a similar program. As well, I'd suggest reinstalling Windows, if that's what you use, and it should run faster. You could also clean the inside of your tower (be sure to unplug all power cables first).

If you game much (I would think you do some gaming, being on a wc3 mod site) you might want to get a better video card. Spending around 100EU should give you more than significant improvements.

I'm on a 90GB HDD right now, and I'm happy with it. Although my 500 GB should arrive sometimes today.
:p

The "worth to buy a new one", is up to you. Do you think it is? You said your happy with yours, I'd suggest just cleaning it, and trying to improve the speed.
Good advice.

Also, a video card upgrade makes sense only if you have a PCI-Express graphics slot. As far as I can remember, the Pentium D's all are matched with chipsets that have PCI-Express lanes, so you probably do have PCI-Express.

Level 34
After starting up you won't be any quicker really if you upgrade, as you'll have vista. Anyway, msconfig + anti-spyware, and you can have it running like a dream. Might want to turn off some unused services too.
What? How will he be not be any quicker with a new computer? I don't get it.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Vista loads too much data. Thus it can result in slow start ups and hideous shut down times.
It is already proven that a windows 7 PC can boot up 8+ seconds faster than a vista machine as well as get programs like browsers up faster. Thus it is purly the stupid design of vista which causes such boot times. However anything with quad core and 3+ GB ram with a 8800series or better card will totally rip that PC appart and should be getting cheapish nowdays.

Status
Not open for further replies.