• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What Warcraft Map Genre Annoys you most?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Its LOAP maps for me... They're just not entertaining at all... no hate or offense meant...

Level 13
DotA.
No offence either, it is just like :
The new player :
"Hello. I am new here i have never played DotA before"
The Pro :
BEYOND UNSTOPPABLE SOMEBODY KILL HIM. (With Omniknight)

What i mean is, if you are pro, you know what is overpowered and if you are new you have no shot to learn the game.

Level 6
DotA Genre.
It killed Warcraft III, some people know the game as DotA not as Warcraft which contains DotA as one of its map!
Some DotA players don't know what really DotA means.
Bad community. When you are a first timer and ask other players "Hey how to play this one?" some will reply "Noob get out! Kick him!". Well sometimes funny but not when frequent. Compared to other community, what they do is teach you instead of flamming you. :)

btw.. Have I answered this thread correctly? Cheers!

PurplePoot said:
Also, DotA keeps Warcraft alive rather than killing it.

Thank you PurplePoot! I was just going to type that and I saw your comment. Of course DotA kept Warcraft III alive, seriously, do you think Blizzard would bother updating the patches? Even in their Starcraft II features, they mentioned DotA Allstars.

Anyway, I find Tower Defenses boring. Build your towers and let a bunch of creeps parade in front of you. It has no aim for me rather than killing your time.

And yes, I like AoS style maps, because you can see your own character eveloping through the game's stages. The same goes to RPG's, but RPG involve lore mostly -which I like, but, if done poorly, the output is also poor and boring-, so AoS have the pro of action genre too.

Level 21
Thank you PurplePoot! I was just going to type that and I saw your comment. Of course DotA kept Warcraft III alive, seriously, do you think Blizzard would bother updating the patches? Even in their Starcraft II features, they mentioned DotA Allstars.

Anyway, I find Tower Defenses boring. Build your towers and let a bunch of creeps parade in front of you. It has no aim for me rather than killing your time.

And yes, I like AoS style maps, because you can see your own character eveloping through the game's stages. The same goes to RPG's, but RPG involve lore mostly -which I like, but, if done poorly, the output is also poor and boring-, so AoS have the pro of action genre too.

I'd like to point out: blah blah blah.

Level 6
I don't mind LOAPS. Depends who you are playing with. AoS's are ok, except dota, of course.

I find TDs very mind-numbing.

Level 9
How can Hive be considered a modding community if all that there was were melee maps? Generally every resource here is for creating something that is not a melee map.
And it would suck if ice cream was the only food that existed, we'd all get diabetes in no time.

Dota is terrible, thus it often ruins AoS's for people - though I find many AoS's to be fun even though they're similar.

LoaP on the other hand has to be the most boring, least entertaining genre in existence. I love how they make many different "versions" of it yet all of them are pretty much the same thing with the models and spells switched. I don't understand what was the reason for the Dinosaur one when it still had every other type of thing in it (pets, people, etc. etc.) - what sort of interaction is that supposed to be? Hello, how is your day - RAAAAAAAWWWWWWRRRR!

I HATE anime maps. (Those like Naruto vs Bleach)

I third this^

Melee maps, if thats the only map genre that existed, hive would likely be dead.

^^^
Mainly because I suck at melee so much

Level 23
RPGs annoy me. Especially because people can't seem to comprehend the concept of one being singleplayer.

I would like AoSes if people didn't play them so hardcore and they weren't all so balanced that they weren't any fun anymore.

TDs tend to be quite dull and then you lose in one round because you bought the wrong tower in the beginning.

But above all, I hate hate hate melee.

Level 27
These days TD is really outdated indeed, it needs more ideas. Probably because most of TD mappers are quite low-experienced and are scared to make something new or just that WC3 game engine can't ofer anything new for TDs (Hope it will be better in SC2). But there were days when TDs ruled us all...

DOTA? Well just stop screaming on it, of course I'm a DOTA hater too, plus Dota actually wastes our precious B.net, but thats an only AoS, not the whole genre, genre itself still has lots of possibilities, it can be fun just like proven by Battletanks and other AoS like that... and Dota is like Counter Strike: outdated and not so very original for these days, its altrough well balanced but still is just an endless continious butt kicking, and strangely some people still play it.

Well, melees... I hate them too, but tolerate. Actually their terrain is quite dull, thats one of drawacks, secondly... well these days not so many people play it and, well, its not that fun, the whole point of melee is to win... I'm not a victory addict, I don't really care about victory so its not entertaining for me...

And remember that it depends from a map itself, not a genre... The fact map is LOAP doesn't mean its shit, only from the map author it depends its shit or not.

For me, I really. Really. REALLY FREAKING HATE DotA. But I like some AoS maps. I have a friend that keeps calling it DotA: Warcraft. I kicked him in the nuts, because I was so annoyed, like all he knew was DotA here, DotA that. Argh...

LoaPs that are boring. And those that were edited by idiotic mapmakers and named it as their own.

Also those maps that clearly had no effort in making and made out of boredom.

Also the ones that have no freaking originality, as if they took it from some other popular game.

And, crappy RPGs that waste your time. Well, I'm an RPG lover, but some just eat crap.

Worthless campaigns with just one or two missions that have bad triggering and cinematics.

A TD that is really repetitive, that just has like three towers that don't upgrade or anything; with SUPEROMGLOL creeps that attack your towers that deal like 999-1000 damage. (Yeah, I've played one)

Footman Wars (there is like 500.000 different versions)
and maybe
Vampirism Speed or anything like that (same reason)

You can speak what you want about Dota map, but thanks to icefrog this game is like the best map created for wc3 ever! You can joke on me but team play and unique abilities with awesome game spirit make this map legendary!

Many of my friends don't know what WE is or who was Arthas or Illidan but they play Dota :D (Some are very skilled)

Nobody speaks about wc3 anymore only about DOTA!

Just open Bnet, Garena or any other gaming portal you will see 10x more created Dota games than all else together!

At the End I think that World Cyber Games Asian Championships 2009 tell us how Dota important become!

P.S. I am very good (some call PRO) in Dota I play it from 6.37 version now is above 6.67! Game changed from average and fun to holy shit ^^
Maybe I speak this way because I know to play, who knows, my point was to tell you not to speak about Dota game like it is something bad -.-

Level 21
Footman Wars (there is like 500.000 different versions)
and maybe
Vampirism Speed or anything like that (same reason)

You can speak what you want about Dota map, but thanks to icefrog this game is like the best map created for wc3 ever! You can joke on me but team play and unique abilities with awesome game spirit make this map legendary!

Many of my friends don't know what WE is or who was Arthas or Illidan but they play Dota :D (Some are very skilled)

Nobody speaks about wc3 anymore only about DOTA!

Just open Bnet, Garena or any other gaming portal you will see 10x more created Dota games than all else together!

At the End I think that World Cyber Games Asian Championships 2009 tell us how Dota important become!

P.S. I am very good (some call PRO) in Dota I play it from 6.37 version now is above 6.67! Game changed from average and fun to holy shit ^^
Maybe I speak this way because I know to play, who knows, my point was to tell you not to speak about Dota game like it is something bad -.-

Well, you know, you are a nothing for a map maker... dota pros are mostly ASSHOLES, and thats a fact, so don't brag with it, or you will get serious problems.

And being pro at a game is sad, not really something to brag about and absolutely stupid you "pro".

And for your "Everyone plays it, so it must be good.", many people eat fries, does that mean it is good? No, it means many people are used to fries... If I would stop all restaurants to make frie, no one will ever remember fries after some time....

So, it is not important how popular something is, it is more important to ask "Is it worth it?".

Well, you know, you are a nothing for a map maker... dota pros are mostly ASSHOLES, and thats a fact, so don't brag with it, or you will get serious problems.

And being pro at a game is sad, not really something to brag about and absolutely stupid you "pro".

And for your "Everyone plays it, so it must be good.", many people eat fries, does that mean it is good? No, it means many people are used to fries... If I would stop all restaurants to make frie, no one will ever remember fries after some time....

So, it is not important how popular something is, it is more important to ask "Is it worth it?".

Well thanks for insulting.
Btw I don't want to comment on this anymore! :sad: If you still want to tell me something, write that on my profile!

Level 25
DotA Genre.
It killed Warcraft III, some people know the game as DotA not as Warcraft which contains DotA as one of its map!
Some DotA players don't know what really DotA means.
Bad community. When you are a first timer and ask other players "Hey how to play this one?" some will reply "Noob get out! Kick him!". Well sometimes funny but not when frequent. Compared to other community, what they do is teach you instead of flamming you. :)

btw.. Have I answered this thread correctly? Cheers!

It's one of the reasons that Warcraft is still alive thought.

Well, I don't like..
Hmm...

I would say poorly made maps, but that's not a category so..
Hmm...

Maze maps?

Hell I dunno.

Level 5
I'll be honest, I enjoy AoS's, but like most poeple that have replied, specifically, I dislike DotA highly. In my opinion, it has saved, and ruined WC3. It has saved Warcraft by keeping it alive with a lot of players, but on the other hand, you can't bring up the game list without seeing at least three DotA maps being hosted. In my time on WC3, I have seen more DotA than any other map genre hosted. I can understand it kept the game alive, but something can only go on for so long, I just hope DotA doesn't flood SC2 like it is doing to War3 right now. We can only wait to find out I guess.

On the other hand, I dislike maps that have no effort put into them. If your going to waste your time sitting in the WE making a map, at least have it to the point where it isn't a waste of other peoples time.

To be specific about the map genres I don't enjoy, heres a list.

TD's (When I have played them, they've never been fun.)

LOAP Maps (I used to like this, but now all I see is a unit running around while everyone masses a small army or bullshits each other.)

I only dislike RPG's or ORPG's that are not finished, I can understand beta testing but when theres clearly no effort and your just walking around killing things for EXP, It's not fun.

Level 15

I'm guessing you're the stereotypical newb who tried playing it on Battle.net and had a bad experience? News flash: People who play DotA on Battle.net are terrible. They have terrible attitudes and they take the game way to seriously. Not to mention, they're pretty damn bad.

Go and download Garena and play on there. People don't talk shit unless you accuse someone of something. There's no "fuck newbs". People play to win on Garena and could care less if you're learning, as long as you try to learn.

Garena is where DotA pros play. WC3 Battle.net is where little kids go to play DotA and talk shit.

edit: every game I join where I'm new or make a mistake I get messages like "wow we have some newb on our team". I'm not talking about DotA; I'm talking about footmen frenzy, dragonball z tribute, naruto vs bleach, age of myths, and advent of the zenith. I play those games on wc3 because no one in their right mind would play them on garena and I can see a huge difference in skill-based micro and maturity.

People on wc3 in general are douche bags. The only reason you see it so much in the dota community is because dota is like 10x more played than others maps. So out of 10 games of footmen frenzy, you may get 1 with a trash talker, but out of 10 games of DotA, you're likely to get 10 with a trash talker (it makes sense somehow. maybe I'm not explaining it right).

The point is, DotA isn't ruined because of assholes. WC3 is ruined because of assholes.

Status
Not open for further replies.