• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ending the spread of edited maps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
The one thing I hate most about Warcraft III other than DotA, hackers and spoofers is LoaP and games like LoaP. The first LoaP, made by the original creator, StankyNuggets, was all nice. It really was! I actually somewhat enjoyed playing it in my RoC years. But more and more I'm seeing edited versions of LoaP (amongst many other maps) fill up my Custom Game screen, and, believe it or not, our DATABASE! l think something should be done about these. I think it's unfair for StankyNuggets (and other people) to have his map edited [usually without crediting him] without his permission (which is against the rules). I know it's impossible to help on battle.net, but by removing them off of this site' we could possibly get SOME off.

You might say that I'm making a LoaP map too, and you're right! But I'm making it from scratch, with ideas that actually MAKE SENSE (and are not rigged). Please guys, let's try to help stop the flow of maps that are edited, for the sake of moral values!

[DISCUSS]

Level 7
I don't really like edited versions of maps, but for some people it gives variety, while I used to like Loap, the more recent versions like the devil? or darkness just give one player almost absolute power over the game. Originals are best.

Level 13
I don't see the point of LoaPs... Simulate real life? Nonsense. Anyways, I agree, edited maps without credit to the original creator must be removed, no matter what kind of map they are.

Level 13
And there is no legal copyright on maps: because if someone tries to copyright a map made with the World Editor, it would be a legal offence against Blizzard D:. You have no legal right over the maps you make, you only can exept people which admire your work to credit you in their edits or hope that your map protector is good and can't be beaten.
We should add a map protector that destroys the map if you try to open it ^^ That will assure that no unoficial versions are made.

Level 12
I'm making a footies map, I'm using a old frenzies map, but I'm ONLY using it so I know the spawning triggers, I never knew that part, everything else I'm wiping CLEAN so i can make rest from scratch, Plus I'm heavily modifying the spawning triggers to fit my needs.

I'm not too good at triggers but I've never been good at make a successful spawn trigger, though because of the old frenzy map, its helped me a lot =)

I am crediting the creator for the map, though once I'm done the only thing that would be there that he made is some of the spawn triggers and I think couple here and there.

I'm not rigging or stealing anything. Most of everything I'm making from scratch to make a awesome footies map. Mainly for me and my friends, but I'm only using some of the spawning triggers.

Omfg I dont know how many times I download footman frenzy 5.4 -AR, people edit it and rigg it so much it isnt even funny

Level 28
Not just without CREDIT, but without permission. You aren't allowed to edit one's work without one's permission first!
How to ask DukeWintermaul for permission ? o_O
In fact, Wintermaul was one of the biggest inventions on B.Net (and even if you don't like mauls, it's a fact) and many good versions wouldn't have been released if the map was protected.
Yeah i know that's a contradiction due to my maul edit is protected but 99% of the gamers on B.Net say, it's the best maul they've been playing recently and i want to keep it like that.
I don't want a noob destroying my project in which i put days of effort..

Give edits a chance D:

Level 8
If you guys didn't know, the map was called Real Life before and I don't know who the hell renamed it to LOAP which means that I'm not sure if StankyNuggets is the original creator of it.

You know, I have always believed in Open Source and I don't really care if there are edited maps out there, it plays a big part in the activity of BNET.

Blizzard also encourages to open maps too...

Status
Not open for further replies.