• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What program Blizzard uses to create models for Warcraft III Reforged?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Blizzard said they would provide the tools they used to make Reforged models. Apparently, this is going to be included in World Editor.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Blizzard will not release a model editor. That would be completely insane for a game developer. You misunderstood what they meant with this.
They will release proprietary plugin tools for whatever 3d modeller they used so that you can export the model with all extra game specific data.

If I had to take a guess, I would say it's 3ds max and Maya because that's what they used for all Blizzard games so far.

Level 11
Blizzard will not release a model editor. That would be completely insane for a game developer. You misunderstood what they meant with this.
They will release proprietary plugin tools for whatever 3d modeller they used so that you can export the model with all extra game specific data.

If I had to take a guess, I would say it's 3ds max and Maya because that's what they used for all Blizzard games so far.
My bad then. Can't wait to see what they will offer us though

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Depending on how far they are willing to go to please the modding community, we can also hope for a similar plugin for Blender, as Blender is open source and free, so much easier to acquire legally for modders.

But in the past, Blizzard released most of their art tools for 3ds max only and relied on the community to convert their tools to blender compatibility, so I don't think this will happen.

Level 4
Oh my I just went and checked and 3ds Max is $190 per month? Can this be real?!? I know I have not gotten any expensive software in a few years but woah that is mind-boggling and really beginner-modding prohibitive for most.

Level 11
Whatever tools Blizzard will offer us, they are going to do it before Reforged is out, according to Pete Stilwell:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
From what I understand Blizzard does not use anything as apparently a third party studio is contracted to make the models. Hence why the design process might be different from the standard 3ds max that they normally use.

In any case there is promise of an in-build model editor. As a programmer I would imagine it being an integrated stable version of blender (or other open source model editors) with adapter code. However they might surprise us, only time will tell.

I hope Blender will get a piece!
I'm not a student anymore :^(

Don't think they care to be honest. If they did they wouldn't make it so easy to get the license. Just write something. That's what I'd do anyway.

Yeah, the educational licenses are great! So long as you aren't using the software commercially, go for it. I've been running Maya with an educational license and I've been out of university for a couple years. It is pretty common for companies to offer non-commercial licenses now.

From a community perspective, having a working blender-plugin would be amazing.

I wouldn't mind (and actually prefer) 3ds max, though, as it's just the superior software and I always have access to the student licences.

3ds Max is not superior by any measure, and is actually being moved away from in the 3D industry in favor of Maya. I've been using 3ds Max for over 8 years, and once i swapped to Blender, i just couldn't stomach Max anymore. The UI flow in Blender is just so much faster once you learn the hotkeys, and it has tons of features built-in which 3ds Max relies on expensive plugins to provide. For instance, it has integrated sculpting, a parametric tree generator, procedural terrain generation, post-render compositing, smoke/fire simulation, and much more. I'm gonna make a compilation of mini-tutorials soon on how to do some awesome wc3 content really easily in Blender.

Status
Not open for further replies.