• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What is the go-to way to write code in the editor nowadays?

Level 1
Long time ago, young me enjoyed making custom maps in WC3. At that time there were only JASS, and I didn't have much programming experience, so I never ended up learning anything other than writing my triggers in GUI. Recently I got nostalgic and made a custom map that ended up pretty fun to play. Now that I have a lot more experience programming in various languages, it's clear that making my triggers in pure GUI is super inefficient. Also, I believe that adding custom UI-frames would take my map to the next level, which can not (afaik?) be done in pure GUI.

Nowadays there are suddenly many more languages to use than just JASS. There LUA and something called wurst? Also C#? It's hard to google for information about this because I end up getting mostly threads from 2008 and such, i.e. very outdated information. So I figured I might as well ask here, what is the recommended way to write code and what language should I use? Writing JASS directly in the editor itself without any syntax highlighting etc. doesn't seem like the way to go. I'm mostly interested in making custom UI-frames for my map, and also being able to make triggers more efficiently than in GUI.

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
Lua, C#, TypeScript, Wurst -> Your IDE of choice like Visual Studio Code.