• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

[General] Warcraft3 Editor, The way to go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hello there,
I am quite new to making my own maps, but i really enjoy it and want to improve.
Now my big question is, is the original wc3 editor the way to go, or are there other programs to used, that are better/ more user friendly. (I heard something about "warcraft editor unlimited")

Certanly, i try hard to get the informations i need through testing and experimenting, and reading stuff i find, but some things are quite complicated in my eyes.
Could really use some help from this great comunity^^

Also, if i am working on a projekt where i have more questions, is it better to do new threads for every problem, or one thread where i collect all of them?

Best regards
Cookie
(English not my native language, i hope it is not too bad :D )

Level 7
Well, my friend, I will not recommend you the World Editor Unlimited because it is not up to date and is perhaps still in v1.21. Well, if you are really new to World Editor, first make two or three maps and know the basics of the Editor, because jumping to another program without knowing the basics of the Editor is just like learning to run without learning to walk.
And another setback in WE Unlimited is that it causes your game to lag and also, you will be unable to open your map in WE. I have tried to use it, believe me.
Once you learn the basics of WE, you may start to learn Jass, which is more complicated and which may cause frustrations if you do not understand it. I am learning it recently. But, for you, it will take sometime.
And lastly, yes you may post multiple threads here, IF AND ONLY IF you do not spam it, like every 5 hours you are posting a thread, that is not done!
P. S. If you have any other problem, feel free to message anyone here!
And believe me, this huge website has thousands of friendly people. Don't feel alone or shy!

Last edited:
Level 2
Thanks for all the kind answers. :)

I´ve read through a lot of tutorials now, to prevent wasting too much of your time by asking questions that are answered there. :)
I also created my own MELEE Map, and i am familiar with changing gameplay constants, and using the object editor to change and create Units/Abilitys and Items.
My idea is that i will first start with some easy things, Maps with the normal races, but some custom heroes and units, maybe some cutscenes. And maybe i can work my way to create my own little Campaign.

One more general question:
I read about JASS and GUI and the questions comes in mind, as i dont know anything about them (somone stated JASS is more flexible, and not really harder to learn) would it be an option to start with JASS right away, or is it the same thing as above, that i should learn the basics in GUI anyway, to understand triggers...

Buffs and Abilitys:
I understood, that buffs/effects are not the ACTUAL effects of an Ability. (I tried changeing the "Stunned" Buff from Bash to "Thunderclap slow" Buff, realising it only changes the name and the visual apearence of the Effect, while the unit still gets stunned in reality)

Furthermore i noticed, that not all effects of an ability are stated in the object manager. For example i wanted to create an Avatar spell with only the bonus health and damage, but while i can set the bonus Armor to 0, i could not switch off the magic imunity.
*Edit: And not all datainput is working? Tried to add AOE to stormbolt, wich is a value you can add, but it does not give bolt the wished aoe effect...

I see, often making a custom spell is all about choosing the right base spell, but is there any way to add other Data to spells that are not initially available? (lets say: making a Bloodlust spell that gives a Damage Bonus as well)

I would asume, for those things that are not possible in the object editor, i would use triggers, is that correct?
And is there a way to use the buffs section in a useful way, or is it only cosmetic?

Thanks right away
Best regards
Cookie
(and for all the concrete spells i need help with, i will create a new thread, is that a good idea? or should it just be discussed in this one?)

Last edited:
Level 9
is there any way to add other Data to spells that are not initially available? (lets say: making a Bloodlust spell that gives a Damage Bonus as well)

I would asume, for those things that are not possible in the object editor, i would use triggers, is that correct?

Correct.
For this instance, when Bloodlust is cast, create a dummy unit (an invisible, unselectable, invulnerable unit that can cast abilities instantly) and make it cast, for example, a Cripple with negative Damage Reduced (to make it positive, -0.40 Damage Reduced would mean 40% Increased Damage).

And is there a way to use the buffs section in a useful way, or is it only cosmetic?

Buffs can be used to check if units should have the effect of an ability, to trigger on-hit or on-death effects, etc.

(and for all the concrete spells i need help with, i will create a new thread, is that a good idea? or should it just be discussed in this one?)

Just make a new thread unless it's so soon (<24 hours) after the first one.

Status
Not open for further replies.