• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] What is Harvest Gold and Lumber?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I am making a map.(It's going slowly, despite the fact it's merely 'modifying a Blizzard map', as I know nothing and can't keep focus on all the data entry required-the concept is 'What if every unit were Heroic-could level, stats, use items, abilities?'. Turning most units(I think I may skip mechanicals-I look at the Siege Tank or Obsidian Statue and it scares me) into a Hero is a long process, at least for me-and this is just the Humans. I don't care to think about dealing with Night Elves and things like Hippogryph Riders...but that's in the future.)

I have a Hero, that is also a Peasant. I want him(Them-there will be many of them) to gain EXP while he's gathering. I have created a separate version of Harvest Gold and Lumber that is it's hero ability to use for this.

My thought is along the line of:

Trigger: Every 2 seconds of game time.

????

Give 10 EXP to triggering unit.

Why is there a '????'? That's my problem: I can't work out what exactly Harvest Gold and Lumber IS to target a condition at it. Is it channelled? Cast? It starts, but never actually stops, but they don't go into any channelling animation or anything. They just work.

Maybe working with some kind of permanent buff to target with a trigger would be better? But I barely understand that system-I don't know how to make an 'empty' buff to start with. I have never been smart.

Level 2
Seems to work. Every time they return a load, they get EXP. Which was what I wanted when I first thought of it, but couldn't work out HOW. I am grateful.

Of course now it seems that simply giving this new Harvest Gold and Lumber 10 levels, marking it as Hero, and a progression isn't enough to make them USE the extra capacity even when they have it. Improved Lumber Harvesting works on them, and the base level works(11 Gold and Lumber), but not the levels of the ability, even when you tell them to stop and restart.

Joy.

An upgrade tied to the ability could do it, but that would make it global; making the levels of the ability 'pointless' for other units. As I've just discovered this minute with Hero Riflemen-Only one needs the skill/upgrade I've made, the rest get it 'for free'. And I was so happy the tutorial seemed to work, too. Then again, Improved Lumber Harvesting itself makes no sense-According to the ability and the upgrade, it increments by 10 per upgrade. In game, it's +5 per upgrade. How?

Maybe I should've just said "Heck, just let them take the regular old upgrade" but no, I had to try and be clever. At least turning Defend into a hero ability works.

But that's going way, way off the initial topic, I guess. It's a bad habit of mine. Thank you.

Last edited:
Re: Workers

Ok, so you want the worker to harvest 11 once it levels up? This can be done with triggers. I'm not going to write the system for you here, but it is possible. Something to the effect of, "a unit returns gold" - "if level of improved harvesting ability = 2" - then - "add +2 gold" create floating text +2 if you like as well. It can be done better than that too, but I'm not that good.

Re: Riflemen

This is much easier. You want standard upgrades to work with levels of the individual units, right? All you need to do is find an ability that increases the trait you want increased. Range for example. Then turn it into a hero ability and give it levels. Do not bother with upgrades. If you must, you may use auras and set the AoE to 5 and remove the effect model. I know trueshot improves accuracy and range. I can't think of something that increases range passively, but there must be something. Maybe an item? Increasing attack damage is easy. Just use an item ability like orbs or rusty ax +damage.

I really like your idea and hope it works out for you. I know this is off-topic but are you planning on using the standard melee constants 100 food, etc? I think it would work better on a really large map, with more space and fewer players. You are going to hide the hero icons for non-hero heroes like workers right?

Level 24
That worker ability is extremely easy to abuse...
Try ordering some worker to harvest... then stop and again... and again and again and again... until level 100.

Also, adding gold/lumber when a worker returns some gold/lumber is also bad because you do not remove them from their sources.
You should instead find out how the upgrades actually work (because you probably forgot to add them to the unit types) and use those instead of triggering it... unless you want to use a custom resource system in which case, you can actually make it all glitchless :D

Level 11
Re: Workers

Ok, so you want the worker to harvest 11 once it levels up? This can be done with triggers. I'm not going to write the system for you here, but it is possible. Something to the effect of, "a unit returns gold" - "if level of improved harvesting ability = 2" - then - "add +2 gold" create floating text +2 if you like as well. It can be done better than that too, but I'm not that good.

Re: Riflemen

This is much easier. You want standard upgrades to work with levels of the individual units, right? All you need to do is find an ability that increases the trait you want increased. Range for example. Then turn it into a hero ability and give it levels. Do not bother with upgrades. If you must, you may use auras and set the AoE to 5 and remove the effect model. I know trueshot improves accuracy and range. I can't think of something that increases range passively, but there must be something. Maybe an item? Increasing attack damage is easy. Just use an item ability like orbs or rusty ax +damage.

I really like your idea and hope it works out for you. I know this is off-topic but are you planning on using the standard melee constants 100 food, etc? I think it would work better on a really large map, with more space and fewer players. You are going to hide the hero icons for non-hero heroes like workers right?

There is NO ABILITY in this game that can permanently increase your attack range (Trueshot only increases damage, not range). Only upgrades. There MAY be a way of temporarily doing it via the next abilities: Cold/Searing Arrows, Orb of Anihilation, Barrage - they don't increase the range of your attack, but you can give them longer range than your attacks. Orb of Anihilation most likely does not work, but I can't remember for sure, and Barrage will only increase the range on secondary targets, not the main one.

Furthermore, Morphinh Abilities like Chaos/Metamorphosis are very prone to crashing the game if used on heroes, especially if the heroes have different abilities in their two forms. Permanent Transformation like in the case of Obsidian Statue/Destroyer is also a potential crash hazard.

Combination Abilities like Mount Hypogrif are also very problematic.

Also, some abilities that normal units use do not work in their leveled up forms or cannot be leveled at all.

Sorry if I am ruining your idea, which is a very unique and creative one, but I think its better that you find out this way rather than on your own when you get to those units.

Keep in mind that some units just cannot be translated as Heroes. But don't let that keep you from going forward:)

Level 24
Bear form doesnt crash your game.
Chaos is a different story.

You do have to make abilties permaneny when you add them to the hero though.

For attack range, I might have a solution.
But it is somewhat hard to use and you may want someone to refine the script for you... not me though :/

Status
Not open for further replies.