• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

-=What is art=-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 30
Heyho ;)
Darkfang and i had a little discussion about art, its definitions and uses, also (but not only) in relation to warcraft icons/skins.

Why does someone "create" art? Wtf is art? What ranks amount art? Are icons and skins really art?

Its late today for both of us but we will continue this topic public if you may join us. Explain us your definiton, view or usage of art or what you think art is used for. Or answer this obligatory questions.
You can tell about art in general or art related to virtual usage. Or both ;)

Level 9
Well, as my opinion about skins/icons being art. Yes, it is just as much art as painting or painting a sculpture, either way it's art. As far as what is art, art is all things but the perception of art is what truly matters. If you see the universe as a whole as art and beauty than it is art to you. I see almost everything as art like a forest or a sun is art to me, but to some a forest is bugs and allot of rough bark and wood, and a sun is a ball of fire and gas. So in my opinion art is only a matter of perception.

Level 10
Art is the reproduction of something.
The ideas are like the materia(hope I wrote it right). They are not created, neither destroyed, only transformed or recycled. If you did any 'art', it is because something or someone inspired you with something simple that was related to it, but the way you reacted logically to it resulted in something that you wouldn't be able to create alone, either this inspiring object would.
The first objects of inspiration were nactural, and the product between these interpretations with the reaction of the next 'artists' did something unexpected, or 'new'.
I hope I didn't go too far... heheh

Level 30
Art is the reproduction of something.
The ideas are like the materia(hope I wrote it right). They are not created, neither destroyed, only transformed or recycled. If you did any 'art', it is because something or someone inspired you with something simple that was related to it, but the way you reacted logically to it resulted in something that you wouldn't be able to create alone, either this inspiring object would.
The first objects of inspiration were nactural, and the product between these interpretations with the reaction of the next 'artists' did something unexpected, or 'new'.
I hope I didn't go too far... heheh

~New created art is the independent result of two or more impulses of creativity brought together from different sources. Nice.

Level 27
Art is the process and result of bringing the things in a mind into reality.

If you want to speak in a grand sense and say that God's mind qualifies, then yes, everything becomes art and it loses any special meaning, becoming another pointless synonym of "everything". I generally restrict the "mind" in my definition to a human mind, so as to have a somewhat useful word.

Level 24
Anything and everything has the potential to be art or artful. My opinion is that it mostly depends on how much emotion was involved in the production, or how much emotion it evokes. The hideous and grotesque can be art if it has meaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.