• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What-if: Export game EXE

Status
Not open for further replies.
What if the World Editor had a button to export a map file to an EXE file that could be played on any computer without an installation?
Obviously this is a total nonsense concept and that's why I'm posting in off-topic, but basically when we think about Unreal Engine for example there is a very straightforward way to bundle what you are creating into an EXE.
So, just as a ridiculous brainstorm, I'm curious what would happen or how your life would be different if you woke up tomorrow and the World Editor had a "compile to EXE" option for maps to turn them into standalone games. I know, I know, something about the state of Blizzard today, et cetera and this will never really happen. But that's not what I want to talk about with this thread. I am simply asking, "What if"? Would it change your hobbies at all? If so, how?

Level 20
It's mostly how we tried to do things in the Starcraft days so it's not that crazy an idea; the biggest difference was, of course, you still needed the game in order to run it.

The only reason it didn't stick was because Starcraft's internal structure changed every patch so it wasn't feasible in the long run. In the end the EXEs only work on certain versions.

If it were entirely self contained that would have been a different story.

Status
Not open for further replies.