• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

what do you think of the eurovision song contest results so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Hehe the non-european people have no clue what we're talking about :D

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

2-210268-Main-476x357-2.jpg

le women so attractive, such a jaw-dropper she is xD

Australia came to mock the europeans' tradition, purge them! Nice to see new participants in eurovision contest

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

you're right, gotta flash 'em all yeah, it's a music contest after all, we vote for good music not p*rn

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Ye if undo doesnt get to the top ten it just proves its not about music in Eurovision.

Well, I watched the second semi-final. I don't know, it feels like they try so hard. Eurovision has a really special sound, most songs that belong in pop/ballad/rock sound the same to me. Ineffective show-off of vocals in unexpected moments, stupid costumes to draw attention (and then they wonder why they can't make it to the finals), an annoying, permanent smirk on their face as if they have no emotion or understanding of the lyrics, etc.

I can only see that the visual quality improves. Song-wise, they all end up sounding the same.

So far I liked Slovenia, Austria, United Kingdom, Romania, Sweden, Hungary, San Marino and Netherlands (for their non Eurovision-sound), Germany (she imitates P!nk so much, even the vocals), Spain and a bit of Norway (I wasn't convinced by his voice, the whole song was too flat - no variations of keys and tones).

Level 36
Well, I watched the second semi-final. I don't know, it feels like they try so hard. Eurovision has a really special sound, most songs that belong in pop/ballad/rock sound the same to me. Ineffective show-off of vocals in unexpected moments, stupid costumes to draw attention (and then they wonder why they can't make it to the finals), an annoying, permanent smirk on their face as if they have no emotion or understanding of the lyrics, etc.

At first when I read this, I thought the critic was directed at Eurovision on a whole,
but now I see it's only toward those... Who it actually applies for. And I do agree,
but it would be stupid to expect that this wouldn't happen with so many different
countries participating, each with their own culture and each with their own set of
"experts" that presumably 'knows' the formula for how to win.

And, if it was directed toward the entire concept, then I simply wanted to express
my irritation at the mere un-necessity of saying it. Considering it's what people say
everywhere, all the time, and everyone knows it, but that's not why we're watching.
We're watching because it's a great concept, and because once in a while there's
actually something good coming out of it.

I wasn't convinced by his voice, the whole song was too flat - no variations of keys and tones.

Curious.

It is worth mentioning that the second semi-final was likely the third or fourth time
the Norwegian guy actually performed on a stage, he's relatively fresh to the whole
vocalist business. And keeping that in mind, I'm actually mostly impressed by his
performance, and no, I'm not saying this only because I'm Norwegian.

United Kingdom

Ah, yes, I'd nearly forgotten, UK and Sweden, those are my top two.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

I voted for France, just because imo Eurovision should be sharing the Europen culture with one another. And France sang with their own language.

And here I was, thinking that Sweden would win (they deserved it).

Last edited by a moderator:
Today I learned: Isreal is in Europe

Dunno why for eurovision, but at least sport-wise they belong to european organization, because all arab states would boycott the match against them as they don't recognize them, so they need to play in a different region (after all it was european creation anyway).

Level 51
I actually don't care about the contest but I'm happy that my country has won. What really embarrases me though, is the hate against Conchita Wurst from our own country. So many people arguing that we have to be ashamed to be represented by someone like her or an amboniation. Just some of the more kinder words she got spared. I'm really sad that there are so many ignorant people here. I was kinda aware of it, but after you realise that many people in your close environment are the same, it's kinda shocking.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

be different and win in it all, what's so special about that?

Level 11
Yeah I read in my local newspaper that a bearded woman won a singing competition in Europe. It was in the 'wired news from around the globe' section. I thought it was a fake and then I see this thread here and did some google search and it is a real hermaphrodite.
Good that mixed gender people are getting so accepted.

Level 35
i think it was funny that montenegro and san marino made it to the final for the first time ever.

Yea, I actually really hoped San Marino had gotten a better placement, just because it is such a small place and it was their first time ever in the finals.

Still I am quite a fan of how we presented ourself in the show this time. Worked very well and they avoided those terrible blunders from last time Denmark was host. Can't help but wonder how some of the more "danish" jokes was perceived outside of our borders :grin: (Though I guess at least UK and our Nordic neighbors would have little trouble with it).

Last edited:
Level 9
While I didn't follow the contest very closely this year, after watching back all the entries I must say that Austria's entry was my favourite, though Sweden's came close second.

Yeah I read in my local newspaper that a bearded woman won a singing competition in Europe. It was in the 'wired news from around the globe' section. I thought it was a fake and then I see this thread here and did some google search and it is a real hermaphrodite.
Good that mixed gender people are getting so accepted.

Conchita isn't a hermaphrodite or mixed gender - she's a drag persona by Thomas Neuwirth. Let's not go throwing incorrect terminology around all willy-nilly. :p

"She" is a man. Which also explains the perfectly executed beard.
He song very well and is definitely a worthy winner, although I personally didn't vote for him.

If he got rid of the beard he is actually not that bad on the eyes.

She is the correct pronoun in this case, since we're talking about Conchita Wurst here.

Level 9
.. being in drag does not equal a changed gender.

Never said it did.
However Conchita Wurst is Thomas Neuwirth's drag persona and it's what she prefers to be called.

It always depends on the individual doing drag though, you always have to know a person's preference when it comes to this.

Level 35
Never said it did.
However Conchita Wurst is Thomas Neuwirth's drag persona and it's what she prefers to be called.

It always depends on the individual doing drag though, you always have to know a person's preference when it comes to this.

Yea, I would agree if not that in the given sentiment you corrected with a "she" both he and his persona was discussed making it much more understandable to use the correct term for his gender... Being in drag does not equal a desire to be female (even if that might be the case here). As such he might be preferred to be called female name and identify himself as a female. It does however not change the fact that he is still male and given the discussion of his gender and the relation to his beard it make sense to consider him he unless specifically speaking about the stage name - however the person behind it reminds the same.

Anyway properly too much off-topic to have this discussion here and we should return to the songs and contest. Like the wonderful joke with the "museum for Eurovision song contest".

Status
Not open for further replies.