• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

[Miscellanous / Other] What do you like most: Looks or customization?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey folks.

I am working on a Diablo styled map. I may have gone over my head with this project since I'm the only person on it. Therefore I often run into problems coding wise and content wise. The latter is the category in which my current problem is. I would like your opinion on what YOU like the most.

Problem:

I have to decide if I want all classes to use the same model or an individual model.
I have 6 classes and each have 3 sub-classes, fx. Barbarian -> Berserker, Pathfinder and Chieftain.

A) If I go down the path of every class (and sub-class) uses the same model then I can use a broad number of armor attachments and they will be able to use every weapon from 1-handed to bows. How ever they will look pretty much the same, thus not vary a lot from each other.

B) If I use individual models for each sub-class they will all differ greatly in appearance and animations but it will not be possible to use armor attachments. Furthermore they will be limited in what kind of weapons they can use because they will lack animations.

I have a really hard time to decide myself. Which of the two paths do you like the most?

Solu9

Level 23
I would go with the same model, but give the items restrictions (big awesome two handed sword = barbarian only, staffs = wizard only) and make each attachment have different models so that the heroes would only look the same when in low levels..then the more items they find for their class, the more unique they would look.. but not in body shape of course.. and you could recruit a modeller to make the model with several different animations for each heroes..

Reactions: Rui
Level 12
Go with A of course. Are sub-classes here considered second-tier, or no? I'm not that familiar with D3. I may be mistaken here, but if they are, just give them more perks than the first class. Like stronger skills, better items, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.