• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

What came first?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
What do you think came first, the chicken or the egg*? Why?

*The egg is a chicken egg.

I'll write something later.

Level 6
What came first out of the two choices? The choices are not everything that has ever existed :/.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
I'd still say it's the egg.
What came first human or human foster?
that would be the foster. Cause let's take a monkey. After each generation it improves a bit because the weak of them dies so it's getting more and more immune to the community. So when it reaches human state it's a human in a foster that comes out as a little boy or girl

Level 21
it would be the egg. if anyone has every done any work with passing on mutations they would know only mutations in the gamites get passed on. that is why people with cancer can have kids cancer free at birth. so when the gamites in a chicken mutate, and that chicken mates to have offspring, the offspring will have those mutated cells, but the chicken before it wouldnt.

so if you look at the ancestrial species of chicken, it would have all the features of its species. however if one of those chickens has a mutation in its gamites, say for an extra organ, it wont have the extra organ, but its offspring will (the egg). meaning that it *could* be classed as new species. and if the mutation proves useful, their numbers will increase and the old species would die off. so in this case, the egg came before the chicken.

v3ck said:
But can you call that egg a chicken egg if a chicken didn't lay it?

yes because it would be a new species.

Level 21
v3ck said:
GST_Nemisis said:
v3ck said:
But can you call that egg a chicken egg if a chicken didn't lay it?

yes because it would be a new species.

Could you not define a chicken egg as an egg that a chicken lays?

no dont be stupid, because the offspring of an animal with mutated gamites will not be the same as the original animal so it wont be the egg of a chicken it will be an egg with a chicken in it :roll:

do u know what gamites are?

plus this whole argument revolves around what we call a chicken. because of the slow process of natural selection it wouldnt be classed as a chicken for many years. however the mutations will only be present in the offspring so only the egg will be classed as a new species.

Level 12
Great going Dan, could not have said it better myself.

Something to consider is this, however. What is the definition of a chicken? If you want to be picky, Veck, and say that maybe the egg did not belong to a "chicken" you must ask yourself if any of the eggs laid now are made by chickens. Due to the random genetic factor inheritant in organic non-asexual reproduction every generation is different from the one before it.

Level 21
heh, thanks man. i really liked this thread because it gave me a chance to show off what i learned in genetics classes :p

one thing i dont know is when a new species is defined. i guess it would be when an adaptation has proved useful enough to be visible in all of that type of animal.

Level 12
Yeah, I remember something like that from my basic genetics too. That and something about the teacher not wanting to go into detail of genetic modification for fear of a certain student :roll: possibly going in and speeding the process of which penguins will rule the world. No idea of whom he was refering to, none at all. Now please excuse me while I go and, euhm, not genetically enhance desireable gamte cell reproductions in a superior avian strand... No, of course not me...

All hail penguins!

Level 12
Hey Ras, Amy is curious as to where you got your icon thingyamajiggy with the skates.

Status
Not open for further replies.