• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What are these weird folders that keep popping up in "Downloads"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
They seem to contain melee maps but it's a pain to scroll past all of them to get to actual custom downloaded maps.
Screenshot_1.png

Level 3
yeah can't seem to get rid of them, i delete them and blizzard automatically re downloads them when i run the client, its a slight annoyance.

Level 65
Those are uncompressed folders which each contain the default maps (Booty Bay, Avalanche, etc)
They are supposed to be hidden and all show the maps in one folder, but Reforged broke the archives and now we can see the raw storage folders

When you delete them, Blizzard re-downloads them as they're considered essential, being part of the original installation

Level 2
Hello, hope this doesn't count as an unnecessary necro. This thread pops up when I search "WC3 downloads stop directorys/folders creation" or some combination of words thereof on Google, so I imagine other people are also being funneled here. Since there's no solution presented here, decided to post my own (works for Windows 10):

What you can do is prevent WC3 from making folders in your C:\Users\[USERNAME]\Documents\Warcraft III\Maps\Download by modifying the permissions. Right click Downloads, then switch to the Security tab, select Advanced. Select Disable inheritance - when prompted select Convert inherited permissions into explicit permissions on this object. Select your username and select Edit. Select Show advanced permissions then uncheck Create folders / append data. Finally, select OK -> OK -> OK.

As long as you're not running WC3 as administrator, this should prevent it from creating folders, and therefore the maps, in your downloads.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Preventing the game from downloading/creating anything it believes it needs to download/create, is imho probably not a good idea...

** Update **

Anybody here remembers the good old days of v1.28.0 ->, when the Updater was re-downloading the full game with each new patch version, regardless of anything?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.