• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Weapon Speed System.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
Hello.

I came up with this idea and it's nearly finished, however it needs some improvements regarding Duel-Wielding units.

This is my system for my RPG:

Basic Information about the Rpg: You control 1 hero, and you can wear 3 or 4 different 'equip' items and 2 or 3 consumables.
You can wear a Helmet and an armor piece, and one or two weapons like: 1x Two-Handed sword or 2x One-handed Sword or 1x Sword + Shield.

Every unit has attack speed: 2.00

Every weapon has a passive Gloves of Haste effect to increase speed or decrease speed.

A weapon with speed 2.50 has -0.25 speed INCREASE.
A weapon with speed 1.5 has 0,25 speed increase.
A weapon with speed 2.00 has 0.00 speed increase ( so just no passive ability on the item).

Here is my problem:

Units with 1 weapon will just have the attack speed they should get. However Units with 2 weapons (duel-wielders) will get problems.

Example:
Sword of the Corruptor:
Speed 1.50
+150 damage.
100 DPS.

Axe of Bloodlust
Speed 1.80
+180 damage.
100 DPS.

If a unit would wear those weapons he would have to get 200 DPS. (damage per second.)
However his attack speed will become 2.00 x 0.75 = 1.5 x 0.9 = 1.35.
His attack damage bonus is 150 and 180. So + 330 total.
So he would deal 330 damage every 1,35 seconds. So 330 : 1.35 damage per second. That gives him 244 DPS. and that's too much.

I would really like to hear suggestions on how to remove this issue. I just don't know how to remove it. I had been thinking of passive aura's like Wardrums effect for the wearer to reduce the units attack damage by something, but that wouldn't help because it's a different value for every attack speed combination.
Also I cannot use any Item Custom Value anymore, because I'm using that for other functions already.

So if someone knows a solution for this and wants to help me with it. Thanks alot!

Level 12
I was gunna Say Mess around with Attack 1, Attack 2....

What you can do is.....
-When Unit Aquires Item
--Player-Set Tech upgrade to 1- on flying machine bombs

Make your unit be able to be effected by flying machine bombs

When your unit loses that... the unit will only have one attack again....

The actual secondary attack is still under the same effects as the two weapons...
So you might have to make Single Handed weapons Significantly weaker....

But I don't know how to change it any other way.........

Level 12
OMG ...

Just_Spectating got it right(sort of)
The problem is this formula:
2.00 x 0.75 = 1.5 x 0.9 = 1.35
should be like this(or some other way from the tens that suit this):
2.00 x ( (0.75 + 0.9 ) / 2 )
Actually you can just make it like these (2/2=1 ... )
0.75 + 0.9
This will do:
0.75 + 0.9 = 1.65
330/1.65 = 200

P.s. Yeah, I go to a math school(used to) :p

Level 19
Well that's not hard ofc, but I don't want to make a duel-wielding unit to attack even slower then a unit with just 1 weapon.
It has to look speedy:D

But I took something else now. My offhand weapons have no speed anymore, just +damage. That makes a fast main-hand weapon alot better. however I don't really mind anymore.

Level 12
Whatever suits you.
But let me get this.
You will have a weapon with 0.25 AS dealing 1 damage to be in the main hand and a weapon with 10.00 AS giving 500 damage - resulting in a lot of dps increase. That would suck ...
(the numbers are just to illustrate the idea)
You may want to consider that two weapons combined cannot work the same as combined the two seperatly (like in wow).
Options(I can think of):
The off-hand weapon giving less damage(fixed, like 75%).
Or making so that the off hand weapon does not give attack damage bonus or attack speed, but instead it will deal damage to the target of the hero every attack delay(this is a relatively easy function, but what I come up with will require structs or handle variables).

OR you could just go with a single attack with slower that one of the weapons attack speed, there will be no difference in DPS, it is easy to understand so players will not have to bother much with it and it is not unnatural that if you equip a heavy weapon you will attack slower.

Level 12
what i said i think would solve the problem...
though I do recognize you cannot change the seperate attacks to amounts of damages

But if you had two attack types and enabled them using upgrades or disabled them, then it would at least count for something.... Seperated DPS

Status
Not open for further replies.