• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Weapon Proficiency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hope it's ok to throw out another question this soon!

Ok so if I have a map where you can pick up various weapons and am wondering if there is a fairly simple way to make a "proficiency - weapon" skill? As in the skill increasing whatever attribute that weapon carries. This is dealing with all melee weapons, ranged is a whole new beast I don't wanna wrestle for now.

So let's say as of now the player can get a sword, axe, or spear. How could I make it so that if he picks up a certain weapon and has the proficiency skill to accompany it, that item would be more powerful in that players hand than a guy who had no points dedicated to any or a different weapon proficiency. Hope that makes sense.

Hoping for GUI options, haven't looked into the jass stuff as of yet

Edit:
Oh also should mention the various weapons would have different properties. That meaning say a sword might have a chance to do critical, spear adds to evasion, or whatever that weapon's specialty is I would want a proficiency skill to increase it if possible

Level 24
Uhm... In my map I got stuff like advanced ability requirements.
So you can only cast an ability when you have a hammer equipped for example.
Or that you have to be below 50% of health.

Anyway I think that you are more reffering to Guild Wars 2 system where you gain new abilities for each weapon type that you pick up.

Well you need an event "A unit equips an item" and "A unit unequips an item". (which are not "A unit acquires an item" specificly.)
When the unit equips an item, add the abilities that belong to the item to the hero. After removing the standard abilities (itemless abilities).
When a unit unequips an item, remove those abilities and add the standard.

However this might be a bit complicated for GUI.

If you want to put points in some weapon profession, you can use Attribute Bonus abilities with hidden icons that represent the level of those professions.
You increase the damage, duration, range, anything that is triggerable in your spells accordingly to the level of the accosiated profession of that ability.

Level 1
I think I understand. That could be an extensive list of triggers I was hoping to avoid tho (If I'm interpreting correctly) tho I could probably find ways to shorten it down.

Just to reiterate, is it not possible to (via trigger I'm sure) add a % to a given ability? Like if a weapon increased attack speed 10% at base, is there a way to increase that by X% if you have level X sword proficiency? I really do think I get what you're saying not trying to make you repeat yourself

Level 24
Uhm... In my map I got stuff like advanced ability requirements.
So you can only cast an ability when you have a hammer equipped for example.
Or that you have to be below 50% of health.

Anyway I think that you are more reffering to Guild Wars 2 system where you gain new abilities for each weapon type that you pick up.

Well you need an event "A unit equips an item" and "A unit unequips an item". (which are not "A unit acquires an item" specificly.)
When the unit equips an item, add the abilities that belong to the item to the hero. After removing the standard abilities (itemless abilities).
When a unit unequips an item, remove those abilities and add the standard.

However this might be a bit complicated for GUI.

If you want to put points in some weapon profession, you can use Attribute Bonus abilities with hidden icons that represent the level of those professions.
You increase the damage, duration, range, anything that is triggerable in your spells accordingly to the level of the accosiated profession of that ability.

not trying to make you repeat yourself
Ow sorry... missed that part...

You can simple have a passive ability that increases attack speed and set it to the level of the proffession... This will require massive abilities in the object editor but that should be fine.

However the triggers for this are not that big... The hardest part is where you want your units to not be able to have a sword and a bow at the same time.
If you can get those right, then it is gonna be easy after all.

Level 1
Lol!

Well, the system I'm considering is such that you have your main weapon in one hand, and the bow being the other hand, basically you can click on the item and shoot, but it wouldn't change much about attack. So yes, in my map as of now, you can have a sword and a bow, but the way Im setting it up I dont think it would conflict with your method. Idk how to do the image of triggers, but if you could show me or maybe a lil demo map of what you're saying I'd really appreciate it

Level 24
You want to have abilities based on your weapon so when you have a sword, you have the abilities "Slash", "Swordmaster", "Pierce" and "Throw Sword" (for example) and when you have a bow, you have the abilities "Fire", "Power Shot", "Volley" and "Arrow Rain" (for example)

At least that is what I expected and explained.
But to be on the same level. Do you want the a similar ability system as the one of Guild Wars 2?

Or do you equip the item by clicking on it in your inventory?
I assume that you do not have to click then shoot (cast a spell), click then shoot, click then shoot, etc.

Level 1
Actually never played GW2, but I'll look at some youtube videos in a sec and get some perspective.

Uh, actually heh unfortunately the click and shoot is exactly what I had in mind. Primitive, I know, I honestly couldn't think of a better method where you could have main weapon (sword, whatever) and then secondary (bow, shield) but I had considered revising that concept.

Honestly I had them in separate tiers but if I could make the main weapon include deciding between melee and ranged that'd be the bees knees, but that's a few steps above my competency right now

Level 24
In GW2, you have a set of weapons that you can carry according to your class.
Every weapontype for every class has it's own abilities. (main hands have 1 ability that will be a basic attack)
So if I pick a Guardian and wield a Greatsword, I have different abilities than a Guardian wielding a Staff and than a Warrior wielding a Greatsword.

The concept of equipping weapons according to the item-ability that you cast is not that bad idea, even if I say so myself.
And what I told you about the abilities being removed and added, is the exact way of how this should be done. (And is MUI.)

I think that you will be surprised to see how even the most simple thing (basic attacks) is replaced in my map :D I am still working on it and someone is already making terrain... I'm soo excited ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.