• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Wc3 v1.31 lan problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Ever since blizzard began updating prior to reforged to create a game on lan other players can only join if they have a copy of the map, otherwise it just kicks everyone.

So testing my map on lan I make small bug fixes save it, then freakin have to put it on a flash drive and copy it to each computer. Test it for a bit, rinse and repeat.

It installs this "bonjour" now because you know blizzard likes to fix and break stuff that isn't broken.

But yea is there a fix to this?

Not that I know of.
But if you're on LAN, you could just share a folder on the "development computer" and keep an explorer window open there and copy it from there from each computer.
You could probably make a small script that copies the map from that shared location to each other computer (or at least to "one" computer so you only have to double click each update).

Bonjour is required due to modern network details, but it only asks once for me (because I've installed it).

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
It installs this "bonjour" now because you know blizzard likes to fix and break stuff that isn't broken.
It is needed for local network discovery. It was likely the simplest solution that was cross platform between Windows and MacOS. I do not know what they were using before but if it was SMB related then it likely had to be dropped for security reasons.

Moving the map through LAN is likely a lot easier than copying it around with a flash drive. If you share the downloads folders of the computers you could use a tool like SyncToy to push out the updated map to all the client folders with a button press or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.