• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WC3 to SC2 - legality question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
I was wondering... I don't have enough skills to successfully make models in 3DS Max, but I thought of using MdlVis for making MDX models and then converting them to M3 (done that with default WC3 models). But the problem is: is it legal for me to use WC3 textures for that? Thanks.

Level 20
I doubt you'd have any real issues as long as you're not making any profit (directly or indirectly), it'd be no different to people using WoW models in sc2 and as far as I know Blizzard haven't said they mind people doing that.

HOWEVER... I think you'll find yourself having a VERY hard time getting War3 models to work in starcraft II, its not simply a matter of running them through a converter, the games work in very different ways and even should you succeed the war3 models being all low poly and texture quality would look just awful next to sc2 doodads and terrain.

Level 18
No, I'm making them about as high poly as WoW models (actually using the WC3 campaign screen models as a base) and I do plan to include normal (some difficulties here I sense), specular and emissive maps. I was just unsure whether that is legal.

Status
Not open for further replies.