• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Wc3 sized window or full screen ?

Warcraft 3: Full screen or sized window ?

• Default full screen

Votes: 14 87.5%
  • Awesome sized window

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I don't play Warcraft 3...

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

I just discovered a few hours ago that Warcraft can also be played in window mode, not the full screen and having to use tab to get to the desktop.

This is awesome! Never problems again copying a code form a screenshot or manipulating files while being in a game. Never ever again missing a game start if you are tabbed.

What about you guys, do you use the default full screen or a window ?

Are there any disadvantages ?

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

It's hard to scroll map at window mode. But is is good for testing.

And to make animated GIF for previews and so on.

I mean, using full window, so only the task bar shows, it is hardly a difference to full screen.

I think that using window mode cause lag tho. I experimented a bit and the game seems it is slightly laggier if you are not actively using Warcraft.

Level 17
Full-screen is Cool.
When I play WC 3 In Full-screen, I feel like I'm in the Game.
The Atmosphere is felt well and I have more Concentration on the Game. (Especially when I was doing TCO boss-fights, good days)
Also, there is No Image Stretching, And Screenshots have good Quality.

Although I can't give simple reviews easily and I have to write them down on a piece of Paper.
And I can't fix Problems fast in the Editor when seen (When testing my Map)

But I still love Full-screen WC 3.

Enough discussion right?

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

When I play WC 3 In Full-screen, I feel like I'm in the Game.
The Atmosphere is felt well and I have more Concentration on the Game. (Especially when I was doing TCO boss-fights, good days)
Also, there is No Image Stretching, And Screenshots have good Quality.
Well, I myself don't notice a difference when having it at maximum size and only the little task bar is at the bottom.
I guess the opinions are widely spread here.

Level 21
Full screen rocks!
I had Warcraft for a few weeks with a smaller screen and I definitely did not find that enjoyable while playing the game, imagine if I keep it in a humble window... I enjoy full screen for the same reasons of Arad MNK.

Btw, when I'm about to review a map, I use something called "my memory" >:) Only when it comes to reviewing campaigns then I need to open microsoft word and comment each map individually after I finish playing it.

Ever heard about something called Alt + Esc? It works well for me...

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Only way to play WC3 is full screen. It does not support borderless windowed last time I tried (which is the only other way to play full screen).

I found a site with a short introduction. Basically, you create a new shortcut of the .exe and add '-window' behind it. Then Warcraft is not executed in full screen, but in a changeable window. You can extend it to the maximum, so only the task bar of windows is shown, nothing more.
For me it makes no difference, but it is much better as I can also access other programs while playing.

Or did you mean something else ?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Or did you mean something else ?
Modern applications like Diablo III and various emulators support "borderless windowed" display mode. The graphics are similar to that of full screen (all display area used, native resolution, all clickable area is the game) except there is no exclusive display lock. As such you can context swap (alt+tab) instantly between applications. It also makes it less likely to fail to run if another full screen application is working since it does not need a display lock.

In normal full screen applications what makes the alt+tab unresponsive is the display lock. When minimizing the application the lock has to be acquired by the windows manager which requires forcing the application to give up its display lock. The opposite occurs when resuming a full screen application. This also means a lot of D3D/OpenGL context needs to be re-created. This is why it can take several seconds to change between a full screen application and why many full screen applications break so badly when resuming.

The dis-advantage of borderless window is that the application is now displayed by the windows manager which means that there may be extra feedback latency (a command will appear to take longer to execute because it takes longer for the results to be displayed). There is also an apparent resource overhead associated with this however in modern day operating systems it is very small (trivial).

You cannot game with standard windowed mode unless there is an input lock in place. It becomes just too easy to press outside the display window and lose focus (not something you want when playing).

Normal windowed mode is fine for testing however. You do not need to perform very well when playing if you are testing and the benefits of having it in front with something else behind (eg the editor) is immense.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Ah, I understand! I noticed that delay you mention, well, I don't go to other tabs if I am in-game I would say.

For testing it is indeed great.

Get two screens you cheapskates! ;)

Tbh, working with only one screen is a serious pain in the ass in almost any application. I hate having to tab through different windows. Plus when you're working with advanced workstation software (audio recording, modelling, photoshop) it's always good to have one screen dedicated to the media and one dedicated to the toolsets.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Yeah, tho it makes absolutely no sense to me. I guess we are all very different.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Yeah, tho it makes absolutely no sense to me.
Better click reliability (no clicking outside window). Better pan reliability (pan breaks outside window). Larger screen area (native resolution instead of a window), etc.

With WC3 it is unfortunately no competition that full screen is better. If they had proper windowed full screen then that is a different matter but sadly it does not.

Status
Not open for further replies.