• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Water War - Submerged

Reactions: deepstrasz
Contents

Water War - Submerged (Map)

Level 7
I don't think this is quite worth Directors Choice...(but if a mod. thinks it is, well, forget I said this :D ) It's a nice idea and all. The submerging was nicely put together, but not extremely hard. This isn't very balanced, and the underwater is really the only strong point in this map. I do however like it all the same. 5/5

Level 4
The submerging feature actually is pretty hard to do. It is easy to make a trigger for making it go into a new map but with the same coordinates. It is easy to make a fog that looks like underwater and to make it look underwatery. The semi-hard part is to make the underwater part look like the above-water part except all the land is raised and water drained.

The impossible part is how they got the minimap to show different pictures when you submerge. I still can't manage to figure that out, and after asking on at least 6 forums, nobody knows...

Level 22
Well, I think it is worthy. It has a few weak points, but lets focus on its strengths first: First off it doesnt get any more balanced then this. This is because heroes can choose their own abilities, so there are no popular/overpowered or unpopular/weak heroes. If a hero sucks, its because of the player's own decisions, not because of soemthing they were unwillingly stuck with (its nice to see another map other then my Ashenvale Holy War map that does this :wink: ). The surface, submerged idea is the first of its kind and very well implemented, as well as adds a whole new strategy never seen in AoS. No more being blocked by walls of player heroes at the chokes points. There is always a way around now. the terraining is excellent and the underwater zone really gives an underwater feel to it. As for improvements, I suggest upping the spawn rates at tade so its not just a hero fight, as well as making the enemies move along wider routes, rather then just a center axis, to help create a larger overall battle.
The file size is small enouph for easy full-house games, so its b-net friendly, as well.

A 5/5 and a Director's Choice Award from me. Keep up the great work.
-VGsatomi

Level 35
Ok this is how they do the submerging:
They have a fake minimap so they think you are going under water but there are two seperate areas that looks like this: ---------------------
| Underwater |
---------------------
| Land |
---------------------
I know this information because i opened the map with a special map opener that only lets you see the terrain. :twisted:

Level 3
The gameplay is great, and its fun to watch first timers get blown away when they summerge for the first time.

But i have to ask, Does that -fix trigger realy work? Its ment to fix the issue the dialog menus some times couse, right? I would realy love to know how you did that. Iv tryed to make a trigger that fixes that issue but have failed each time.

Level 2
Well, my first impression of this map was, obviously, "omg this is the coolest map ever this is sooo cool with the submerge feature omg this is awesome." But i soon realized that the gameplay itself was rather primative. While it is cool that you can submerge, and the map is original, there are only two lanes of combat, underwater and above the surface. Also, i disagree that heroes are perfectly balanced. First time players do not know how good the spells that they're choosing are, and there are many spells, such as summoning spells, that are indeed far too powerful in my opinion. I give this map a 3.5/5, sheerly for the submerge ablility, and the minimap hiding.

Level 17
Pro: The submerge feature and the minimap trick makes this map awesome, I also loved the way you select skills. Terraining is great!
Con: The skills are very imbalanced, there aren't many purchasable items, the game is a little dull and.. yea, boring.

Overall, it's a map everyone should play at least once, if for not else then for the submerge feature.
3/5

Last edited:
Level 3
Guys if you want to know how to do Underwater effect I tell you but I cant do the Submerge thingy in Water Wars this is how you do it go to Map Options use Global Weather Effect do it Ray of Moonlight then go to triggers go to actions and find Environment-Set Sky. Then do Set Sky to Lordaeron Summer Sky then do Environment-Set Fog then do Set Fog Style Linear z-start 10.00, z-end 5000.00, density 002 and color (5.00%, 70.00% 100.00%

Level 5
This map is amazing, especially with the submerge feature, but not only that; there's also the full hero customization with so many ability combinations that can counter one another. If you think someone using vamp aura melee-agility is imbalanced, simply counter it with the freeze attack + mana flood, etc. etc. etc.

This map is fucking awesome, and everyone should play it at least once.

Level 5
The submerge can actually be made with a really easy trigger; you just need to make a "parallel" underwater map that matches over exactly the above water terrain. Just make that terrain, and put it below the above ground area. Making sure that it's an exact fit with the regions and all is the hard part, and doing the minimap-overlap thing is amazing (i have no idea how he did that).

If you have the two regions, one above and the other below, then:

• Event
    • Unit - a unit casts Ability
  • Conditions
    • Ability being cast Equal to (Submerge)
    • (un-submergable regions) contains unit equal to false
  • Actions
    • Move (casting unit) instantly to ((Position of (casting unit)) offset by (0.00,-x)
To re-emerge, just put the positive value of the thing. It takes a lot of effort to measure and make sure all the regions overlap, etc. though.

Level 25
The submerge feature is great. However, with reforged the fake minimap doesn't work anymore. It needs an update. With the new natives you could switch the minimap when ever you are submerged. I am missing a bit of information what action happens where. Do you only go through the submerged way to level where no others hero are? In the end you have to destroy the bases on land anyway? Maybe you could change it to make a base under water and one above to make the game more interesting and add some stats and information to a multiboard.

The skill system via dialogues is okay and I guess you need it because you allow the player to choose the skills of a hero. I would love to see a feature where you could switch the camera to the map above or underwater to see what is going on. Your allies could be fighting down there and you cannot see it without submerging yourself which you might not want to do.

You cannot cancel skilling. There is no dialogue button to cancel it (if you misclicked?) How do you spend multiple skill points? The dialog appears multiple times?

You could add fake hero skill points with a disabled hero ability. The the hero icon will glow as well.

Some abilities like "Summon Water Dragon" are restricted to the surface. This might be a bit unfair or prevent me from choosing it? Maybe only summon stuff which either can submerge or be on land. The dragon could have an underwater version.

There could be more different items, I am missing a teleport item to teleport back to the base and the ways are quite long. I am no AOE expert. The idea/terrain alone is worth playing this once and hence my high rating.