• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Water textures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a way to change water textures to change its visuals like northrend clean water or making it seem another liquid or something? The thing that interests me the most is if it's possible to change abyss terrain (the 'water' one) in outland tileset to something else, let's say you add blue background with clouds or something. It's that possbile?

Reactions: Em!
Level 12
If you were to change the model of the tile it should work, but I'm not entirely sure that's.... a good idea?

Level 12
Well, after a quick google search, I found this tutorial on how to do exactly what you're looking for, i believe!

Last edited:
Level 12
Well, as far as I know, water is a tile. So theoretically it should work with water as well. You just open it up and edit it as you wish, as long as the game can still recognize it as a tile. Or am I completely misunderstanding what you mean?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
No idea, you will probably have to make them.

Do be aware that if you want nothing more than a simple recolouration of the water all you need to do is change the water tint in one of the various map options. I think you can even change water tint using script (such sa GUI).

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
You need to use 'OSha' water as that is the only water type in WarCraft III that uses the outload wave textures, models and sound. It also uses TeamColor for the water surface texture. This information is from "TerrainArt/Water.slk", an immutable data file used by WarCraft III.

Try changing the tileset to Outland for a test.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Okay, I opened water.slk file, some values I can understand, but what are smin, smax and other fields more at the right?
I have no idea, probably something to do with variety.

Changing them is not possible as the game loads those files before it loads the map file (so any modifications outside of a mod will not be applied).

Try changing your tileset to outland to see if the ater does what you want.

Level 12
Ah, so it does exist. Neat. Never really looked at environment too much, I forgot it was even there.

Level 14
Mechanical Man said:
Okay, I opened water.slk file, some values I can understand, but what are smin, smax and other fields more at the right?

I think it stands for Shallow min Alpha, Shallow max Alpha, Shallow min Red, Shallow max Red, Shallow min Green, Shallow max Green, Shallow min Blue, Shallow max Blue.
Deep min Alpha, Deep max Alpha, Deep min Red, Deep max Red, Deep min Green, Deep max Green, Deep min Blue, Deep max Blue.

Minimum and Maximum ARGB values for shallow and deep water I suppose ^.^

Last edited:
Level 14
Isn't it possible to overwrite:

ReplaceableTextures\Water\Water00-44.blp

I clearly see the water textures with animation in there ^.^
The water.slk points to that path for the texture files.
If you can overwrite that with custom .blp files you might be abled to alter the water completely.

I haven't tried it yet, but what if you import it into the import manager on that path?
You can use a image editing program to create the animation for the water and then save each frame as .tga and then convert them to .blp
(It has to have 45 frames then though)

Status
Not open for further replies.