• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Is there any way to change the water textures? [SD graphics]

Hey, I got a new animated water texture consisting of 45 .blp files with each frame of the animation.
I tried to import them with the following paths:

"ReplaceableTextures\Water\A_Water00.blp" to "ReplaceableTextures\Water\A_Water44.blp"
"Textures\Water00-0.blp" to "Textures\Water44-0.blp"

Neither one seems to affect the appearance of the water. I use the Sunken Ruins tileset, if that's relevant.
The only thread I've found on the topic is this one: Water textures
They say it might be because the water textures are loaded by an immutable file at "TerrainArt\Water.slk" before the map is loaded, so it would be impossible for a map to change the appearance of its water.
I was hoping after all these years someone would have more insight on this issue, and possibly a workaround?
Any bit of information would be appreciated!

Level 41
it could be you're just using the wrong prefix because i'm pretty sure that A_* is for ashenvale
Sunken Ruins is Z.mpq in War3x.mpq and it has two 45 .blp files of water
one is "ReplaceableTextures\Water\Water*.blp" (no prefix)
other is strangely enough "UI\Glues\SinglePlayer\NightElf_Exp\Water*.blp" (also no prefix)

i think you should try replacing "ReplaceableTextures\Water\Water*.blp" without the A_* or Z_* or anything

Last edited:
it could be you're just using the wrong prefix because i'm pretty sure that A_* is for ashenvale
Sunken Ruins is Z.mpq in War3x.mpq and it has two 45 .blp files of water
one is "ReplaceableTextures\Water\Water*.blp" (no prefix)
other is strangely enough "UI\Glues\SinglePlayer\NightElf_Exp\Water*.blp" (also no prefix)

i think you should try replacing "ReplaceableTextures\Water\Water*.blp" without the A_* or Z_* or anything
Thank you so much for your help, I'd never have thought to go looking for the water texture in a MPQ inside the main MPQ.
"ReplaceableTextures\Water\Water*.blp" did the job for Sunken Ruins.

A shame it is so hard to find good animated textures to replace the water ingame though. It is truly a homage to the blizzard artists that made it that anything I replace it with immidiately shows so much obvious repeating of the texture, yet they managed to mask it so well in a water texture with so much detail.

Here's a picture if you're interested. I might be looking for other options though :p
war3_23-08-01_20;16;23.png

Thanks again! <3