• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Water Problem - water removed by terrain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Hello and good day!

Can someone help me to solve a problem I am having with a water, please? The problem is as it appears in the image I attach, here, for depiction:
full

To describe the circumstances that (from my point of view) have led to it:
  1. I have created a map with an "Initial Cliff Level: 2" and "Initial Water Level: Deep Water".
  2. I have used "Raise" in "Apply Hieght" section of the "Terrain Palette" to create an island in the center of the map with visually smooth transition from a land to water.
  3. I was texturing the terrain and placing objects on the land.
  4. After some work I have saved the map and closed the Editor.
  5. After I have open the Editor again and loaded the map, I have wanted to re-adjust the shape of the island and so I have used "Lower" in "Apply Height" section of the "Terrain Palette".
  6. The result was and is as it is shown in the image I have attached and present to you: the water is no longer under the surface of the raised terrain - it is as if it was "deleted".
Can someone tell me how to make water appear again under the terrain I lower?

Respectfully yours

Martinus

Level 24
  1. Your image can't show, I don't know why, I think is because Hive doesn't save the images forever at least if you submit them.
  2. If you did that you say, so the water won't apear if you use "Apply Height", you must add the water again with "deep water" or "shallow water".

Level 4
Sometimes I have to remake that bit of terrain somewhere else where the water works, then cnp it to where I want it. Sometimes that doesn't work though... Sometimes restarting editor helps. Sometimes making a new map and copying terrain to new map helps if your map isnt too hard to copy to a new map. Sometimes I just give up and don't put water there..lol.

Level 5
  1. Your image can't show, I don't know why, I think is because Hive doesn't save the images forever at least if you submit them.
  2. If you did that you say, so the water won't apear if you use "Apply Height", you must add the water again with "deep water" or "shallow water".

Thank you for your reply, HerlySQR,

Ad 1: I have just copied an "url address" of that image - I have that image stored in one of my albums, which I have created exclusively for the purpose of this post of mine. I am posting here an "url address" to that album: https://www.hiveworkshop.com/media/albums/attachments.10023/, where that image is stored.

Ad. 2: This, what you have proposed, works, but it leaves "cliffs" if I "Apply Height" again, but actually it is not a problem, because they can be leveled and the "cliff side" can be moved into a some irrelevant location in the water, so it will not be seen.

Try messing with the Water Height Limit (Advanced > Enforce Water Height Limits).

Thank you for your reply, Hermit,

I recall once or twice using this function maybe in 2011, when I was trying to learn how to connect water on different height levels, if this is that function. But since then I have never needed that again. And I think that it is not useful for this problem I am having right now, because I do not need to connect different water levels - or better to say: if it can be utilized for my current problem, I think that HerlySQR's suggestion is more effective for it is quicker and less toilsome.

P. S.: I like your profile picture. Good old/original (Warcraft III) murlocs... in some remote, shiny, coastal, cliffy area in eastern Kalimdor (with some "WoW Jungle ambient music" playing in the background)... (and your name amplifies that seclusive reality). What a sight!

I don't know of the recent version, but in my case I got this
View attachment 363878

Yes, this is something what I have originally got, but I was not using tools from "Apply Cliff" category of the "Terrain Palette" but "Apply Height" category.

Sometimes I have to remake that bit of terrain somewhere else where the water works, then cnp it to where I want it. Sometimes that doesn't work though... Sometimes restarting editor helps. Sometimes making a new map and copying terrain to new map helps if your map isnt too hard to copy to a new map. Sometimes I just give up and don't put water there..lol.

Thank you, Jahjahbinks, for your entry,

I was trying that "Copy and Paste" method, but it is not working: it is copying only the terrain texture, but not the water for me. And maybe that copying the whole terrain to a new "watery" map will work, but - at least for now - I will be satisfied with that solution proposed by HerlySQR.

So... it appears that the matter is solved. I will see if no other problem arises while working with the HerlySQR´s method - if the cliffs will not collide with something somewhere in the water or in some way affect the surrounding terrain to an unacceptable degree. If that will be the case, I will probably call for a help, again, but this is not going to be a "professional map", only serves as a rough, approximate projection area/space for my "warcraftologic" concepts, so I believe this solution will suffice.

But, for the future: I am curious if there is any way to maintain the original/introductory water level on the entire map permanently or if a dissappearance of water (- or should I say water texture (?) -) in areas where a terrain is raised above its level is irreversible (so that no "new water" will have to be added/created by (for example) "Deep water" or "Shallow water" tool). If someone will be able to provide an answer to this, it wil be at least satisfactory for me, if not helpful to someone else while encountering this kind of problem.

Level 4
You can copy and paste higher/lower water levels from other maps. It sometimes crashes, maybe it works better in Reforged.. You can also try to mess with cliff tile waterfalls but thats usually a drag. I don't remember what, if any, settings have to be set, like maintain water height or something.
edit: sorry you're asking the opposite, I think? I don't know why, if I understand, you could just use the cliff tool instead of water. There is some way you can make the water only at one z level, even if you try to use water tile at higher altitude. It might involve filling the map/area with water, then creating height above it all, then using water might be 'dry' cliff. (with enforce water limit on)

Last edited:
Level 5
@Martinus You're welcome, and PD I can't access to the album, it says I need permission for that.

My mistake and I apologize: I did not know that I have that album set as "Private". Maybe that is the reason why even the picture in my initial post could not be shown to you. I have looked into it and have set the album as accessible to members.

I hope that my case will be more undestandable, now.

You can copy and paste higher/lower water levels from other maps. It sometimes crashes, maybe it works better in Reforged.. You can also try to mess with cliff tile waterfalls but thats usually a drag. I don't remember what, if any, settings have to be set, like maintain water height or something.
edit: sorry you're asking the opposite, I think? I don't know why, if I understand, you could just use the cliff tool instead of water. There is some way you can make the water only at one z level, even if you try to use water tile at higher altitude. It might involve filling the map/area with water, then creating height above it all, then using water might be 'dry' cliff. (with enforce water limit on)

Thank you again for your answer, Jahjahbinks. I am aware that I can copy terrain, but as you have put it, it might crash or take more time... I have a largest map created and so copying and pasting things might take some time. But I think I have solved the problem with my initial picture which could not be shown to you, as I describe in my reply to HerlySQR, above. Please, you can try to have a look on it to know what I have meant in my case.

Last edited:
Level 24
My mistake and I apologize: I did not know that I have that album set as "Private". Maybe that is the reason why even the picture in my initial post could not be shown to you. I have looked into it and have set the album as accessible to members.

I hope that my case will be more undestandable, now.
Ok, now I can see the picture and is literally what I posted XD.

Status
Not open for further replies.