• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Was Blizzard on crack when they hired Metzen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Come on, they made worldwide best selling games, and they beginned with a horrible concept artist ( compared to indistrual standarts for concept artists )
just take a look at this:
WarCraft_Metzen002b.jpg

He have a crappy lion on his belt, cowboy boots and stupid random marks all over his armor. not mentionning the face, its simply horrible. Was blizzard on a tremendous lack of money for hiring such a cheap concept artist? I mean, they should've hired me. with one night of armor and battlegear studies and some effort i would be as skilled as him. i mean wtf.

Level 11
...All those flaws you mentioned are actually things that should be there. The lion on the belt is for the Lion of Azeroth, which is like Azeroths symbol. The boots would be for if he mounted a horse. The random marks on his armour are scratches left from a battle. As for the face, the only thing that needs work there are his eyes.(no pupils) I don't really see any flaws with it, just things I personally don't like about it.(like the horns on the helmet. I don't like them, but they're still drawn well) Though I prefer Samwise's work to Metzen's, Metzen is a very talented artist.

Level 25
Dude, Metzen pwns you. Unlike Samwise, he actualy TELLS us things from the WC lore, so we KNOW what the sixth Warcraft 3 race was going to be: GOBLINS. Yes, GOBLINS. Not dwarves as some random person said, but GOBLINS

Level 5
finarfin..what about the shitty nose and cowboy chin he have? the lion on the belt looks like a cat a crippled kid drawed. i really think that blizzard shouldnt've hired metzen in his early years of career. some "really talented" concept artists could be found on some areas of www.conceptart.org

but its obvious that metzen might've costed less than one of these guy. its also obvious they didnt needed a very good guy to start their company. but seriously...wc2 had gay graphics...especially the one with Khadgar...omg.

Level 11
...dude, get a grip. It's concept art, it's not meant to be perfect. A concept is supposed to be just a rough sketch, and not incredibly detailed. They're not meant to be amazing works of art, though Blizz's artists concepts usually are. :roll:

*stares at the Blood Elf Warlock*

As for WC2 graphics and cinematics...yeah they sucked. That was because they didn't have any better technology then. But what does that have to do with Metzen? :?
He does concept art, not game graphics.

Level 5
VGsatomi said:
Umm...."Concept art"...nuff said....thats like judging an official map while its still in beta stages...the whole point of concept art is to sketch out potential ideas. His official art will no doubt be much better. But even his concept art is better then your finished works, wormy.
-VGsatomi
the time taken doesnt matter, the skill makes the difference. oh and my concept arts are much better than your finished works. i mean, this guy must've started to draw 4 or 5 years before he got hired by blizzard...what were they thinking hiring metzen instead of a real profesionnal? metzen was a joke in the indistrual market.

And, VGSatomi, they aren't concept arts. they're what he called "refinated drawings", since they were used during loading screens. its obvious metzen wouldnt put half asses drawings here.
Lord finarfin, concept art aren't rough sketches. rough sketches are thumbnails

Level 21
Are u crazy wormskull ? Metzen own everyone here, he is Samwise level but he doesnt work in the same style. And he's also a scenarist, have u ever read credits ?
I think I prefer Metzen's art than Samwise's because it's more original and less cartoonish.

Level 5
pins, im talking about metzen when he got first hired...he was really bad. of course now, he's a little bit more acceptable.

Level 5
Metzen was the one who introduced me to warcraft-lore with wc2, I loved his drawings then, and love them now.
and he has something that not many artists manage to get down in their drawings: feelings.
he is better than Samwise in every way since he draws realistic and samwise.. I don't know what he's doing except exaggerate everything.

Of course Samwise appeals more to the young male-crowd that gamers usually are, since he continues the tradition of defenseless sexy women and strong, manly men. and the flaws in his drawings are horrible to watch sometimes.

but they bring feelings. and they get paid for their drawings. they own us all.

Level 7
noooo - is my browser messing with me? Can't see GreyArchons pic and I sooo want to :twisted:

Oh, and its Booyoka! :mad: not Booyakashaaa (messing)

*cough* *cough* anyways, blizzards judgement in this matter, particular because I've allways loved thier concept art, regardless! - is unquestionable. So don't question it :roll:

Level 5
Metzen is a great artist. Sure, maybe compared to some of the other concept drawings for Warcraft III his stuff isn't as amazing, but $5 and a pizza says that all his stuff is better than yours stormrider, even his earlier works. Also, I thought Metzen was the Artistic Director? Maybe not, but doesn't it say he is in: "The Art of Warcraft"?

Oh, and why do people keep calling stormrider wormskull? I'm not kept up-to-date on this site too much, so could someone explain that?

Level 5
Also, Metzen doesn't colour alot of his work either. That might be another reason why alot of people prefer Samwises artwork.

Oh, GreyArchon, thank you for answering that for me. I know who wormskull is, I just wasn't sure if stormrider was another account of his or not.

Level 5
GreyArchon said:

oh my! fighting in a thong and some leather wrapped around your breasts is always the best choice.. if you're in a game. -_-

yeah, she got a spear and some muscles, but if you poke her, she will fall and break that back. whoops. i'm sure she's very dangerous. as dangerous as toiletpaper. :roll:

I can't even look on that picture more. too much errors. *crawls back to the almighty cave of realism*

Level 23
Tari said:
oh my! fighting in a thong and some leather wrapped around your breasts is always the best choice.. if you're in a game. -_-

yeah, she got a spear and some muscles, but if you poke her, she will fall and break that back. whoops. i'm sure she's very dangerous. as dangerous as toiletpaper. :roll:

I can't even look on that picture more. too much errors. *crawls back to the almighty cave of realism*

Hmmmmactually, I was busy proving you wrong on the sexy part.

Now for the defenseless part, I'd use this picture:

http://www.sonsofthestorm.com/warcraft_samwise018c.html#gallery

Will there be anything else? :roll:

Level 5
GreyArchon said:
Hmmmmactually, I was busy proving you wrong on the sexy part.

Now for the defenseless part, I'd use this picture:

http://www.sonsofthestorm.com/warcraft_samwise018c.html#gallery

Will there be anything else? :roll:

you kind of missed proving me wrong that she wasn't a image of sheer sexist samwise.

and the warden.. i'm sure you have seen the other pics samwise has done of the warden. and i'm sure you have seen that she is as the others: tiny waist, big breasts, big booty and hips. as usual..

You may love people that exaggerate their pictures, I just find it very disturbing. and I'm growing tired of playing game after game and almost never see a normal man or woman. there is just muscular guys and tiny women, that still can fight for some reason..
I want a real game with realistic look for the fantasy-characters!
oh wait.. Morrowind. I missed that one. ^^

Level 5
GreyArchon said:
Nono, no, this was the part where you were supposed to say; "You're right Arch. Those pictures prove that I was generalizing. Please accept the offering of my undieing soul as an excuse."

Read your script.

ooooo! I'm sorry! *reads the script*
You're right Arch. Those pictures prove that I was generalizing. Please accept the offering of my undieing soul and my minions as an excuse. and some cookies and Metzens original drawings.

Level 13
back onto topic though
samwise is a better artist, but i would love to see you do better than this new guy wormy :?

Level 7
... just craving my attention this is (uncaring bastards)

You can be very well aware that an art concept is bad or good, without being able to draw pregnant dogs or donkeys!

Tari "what is wrong with big boobs and a nice slim waist, and that round thing in your face". (now that was awfully apparent, I wonder what he meant with that, what did he mean Igor, what did he mean??)

Anywho, if anyone belive that stormrider is able to do better then theese two great artist, which are being debating, and no - stormrider is not being debating, so surprised now, so surprised - then they should challenge him, otherwise keep personal challenges to incrimidate eachother (cause this is where you wanna go with it) outta this epic rendevouz with Samwise and Metzen

GreyArchon - no! a little more thruth in those pics you find! >_< that was disturbing, why was I lured to see that?

Anywho, I still wait to see some proper explanation as to why either one is the better (Tari yours doesn't count! o_0) I don't think Samwise is a perv. But it is to me very clear, the changes in concept that appears from wc2 to wc3, and you can hardly argue on anything else that they are of different style, and then agree on which style you like the best.

To me, I don't give a rats arse about my own oppinion! I allready said I liked them both, and if it is equally, then why bother explaining the details (Metzen - probably because I knew of him first) But this constant alertness that is being expressed, to immidiatly defend your right to have an oppinion, shadows what people actually think of the artists, and this is the points of view, I for one, would like to see expressed. Could be nice :)

Booyoka!

tari, if you looked at the other trolls, youd see thet they arent really wearing that much clothes either. i mean at least samwise would have the decency to make her clothed. and about the big boobs slim wiast crap, its just showing that samwise isnt homosexual. would it make you happier if he just drew pictures of fat, ugly bitches so you can have something to campare yourself to? why, i could say im offended that you keep submitting picture of women with somewhat attractive faces becuase you assume that every female should have the face of someone from a victoria's secret catalog.

oh and lord finardin, stromrider got banned it's there, but we shouldn't be talking about that becuase it's "for moderators' use only"

Level 5
Afronight_76 said:
tari, if you looked at the other trolls, youd see thet they arent really wearing that much clothes either. i mean at least samwise would have the decency to make her clothed. and about the big boobs slim wiast crap, its just showing that samwise isnt homosexual. would it make you happier if he just drew pictures of fat, ugly ***** so you can have something to campare yourself to? why, i could say im offended that you keep submitting picture of women with somewhat attractive faces becuase you assume that every female should have the face of someone from a victoria's secret catalog.

Thanks afro, I use myself as a model for my pics. Maybe I should also state that I have modeled a lot for photographers.
and I know I'm fat. I weigh almost 59 kilos. so fat :roll:

Samwise could still make smaller breasts and a normal waist, noone would call him homosexual expect the ones that buys tons of games just to see a little nakedness on a girl. If you want to see someone halvnaked, you can go and undress someone. I just want a warrior to look as a warrior.

Level 3
Thanks afro, I use myself as a model for my pics.
Is it you in your avatar?

Samwise is the best concept artists of blizzard. And Metzen is good, even great, but not as great as Sammy. And wormskull is a novice. He can't draw anything without at least 10 issues.
About Sammy's defenseless sexy womans, in the case where you don't know that, he doesn't do that for the fun. It's not him who totally invented the concept of the units, you know... and also, sexy womens look very good in a game. Then there is many ones in wc3, but not defenseless: being heavily armed and killing people is very sexy.

Level 5
I'm just expressing my opinion on why metzen is a superios artist. as I respect your opinions on why you think Samwise is better. I just question your motives. =)

samwise is drawing a tradition, metzen is not. one of the reasons I like metzen better, he dares to do something different. and he dares to tell something with the pictures, he dares to make them ugly.
samwise can make even a gargoyle beautiful. it is no challenge in drawing everything beautiful. it is a challenge to dare make them human. to dare make them ugly.

but I understand why you like samwise, he is a good artist.

Level 12
Well, I really don't too much about the artists. They're always going to have their own pros and cons. So honestly you really should settle it.

Oh, and shouldn't this be in the art forum? :?

ApM

ApM

Level 2
God metzen owns, send some of your work on here (even better if you have) then lets slag you off and see how you like it.

The things you point out that you think shouldent be there or that look crap are actualy there for a reason to make it look good unlike me i hate color so i use scruffs and dints and doggy chins or what ever u pointed out to keep people from saying
USE COLOR U SPAZ
even though that has nothing to do with what i sed at the beginning i just thought i would say it :) ^^

but dont slagg him off if blizzard recruited him then thay did it for a reason (and the reason that he is good) if you see the art work that there own artists have done you could tell that thay dont like s**t peices so if metzen was s**t thay wouldent of asked him to draw for thme in the first place. :!: :!:

Level 3
They both have pros and cons, so I say both are equal, because there are good and ba things about both of them. And it wouldn't be Warcraft3 without everything female having perfect, too-good-to-be-true, prefectly circle boobs. I can't believe that at one time I actually has prefectly square boobs written instead of circle... What is this world coming to?

Status
Not open for further replies.