• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Blizzard Fan Art

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
blizzard_forever_by_heewonlee-d35b728.jpg

Direct Link

So I found this piece of Fan Art which really impressed me.

Mostly because Blizzard is more commercial now-a-days (D3 Intro), and like many people have mentioned, Blizzard did seem the stop putting their soul into their games. Their products are technically correct, visually appealing, but shallow overall.

Than I happened to stumble upon this piece of Fan Art. Besides the fact that the comic style is incredibly similar to how Blizzard uses, all the characters seem to tell you their thoughts, their intentions...

Maybe I am overthinking it, but looking at Diablo, I clearly see his evil intentions. He actually makes me feel that he is about to terrorize someone.

Deathwing seems to have some kind of dignified look, of someone who actually rose from the ground, who rose from defeat and who is about to strike with vengeance.

The Ultralisk is simply going to stomp his way through any obstacles, you just know it.

Zeratul looks very enigmatic, a tad shallow on the surface, but he's eyes express the deepness of his thoughts.

The Barbarian is simply thinking "come at me you puny human and let's see if my sword is blunt as you claim", I mean he just looks like he has been insulted, like there is some threat heading towards him and that he is preparing.

Alas, Thrall, probably the most shallow of them all, he's eyes tell me "strength is power". There isn't much of anything else really, except the incredibly visible veins which show on his skin.

-----------

As for Blizzard artwork, they just seem glorified versions of an otherwise rather boring character.

It just makes me think, what will happen with this guy when he joins the gaming industry. Will he's artwork start being just glorified version of an otherwise dull character? Because he is bored of drawing the same themes over and over again? Will he end up thinking "I'll just draw something cool to please the bosses and the 12-16yr old kids".

I know we have some members here on THW who are deeper into Concept Art and Digital Art for that matter, so I am really curios about their opinions.

-----------

As for Blizzard artwork, they just seem glorified versions of an otherwise rather boring character.

It just makes me think, what will happen with this guy when he joins the gaming industry. Will he's artwork start being just glorified version of an otherwise dull character? Because he is bored of drawing the same themes over and over again? Will he end up thinking "I'll just draw something cool to please the bosses and the 12-16yr old kids".

I know we have some members here on THW who are deeper into Concept Art and Digital Art for that matter, so I am really curios about their opinions.

This is a really open question.

First, depending on which Video game making compagny you're in, your job as a concept-artist might change. For example, if you work for blizzard, most concept artists, work on 1 project until the game is completed ''3D modelled wise'' some concept artist will work on making illustrations for the game, some will work on making the 3D models of the concepts they just made and that got approved. Some will just be shipped to an other project that needs more concepts.

If you work for a starting compagny, pretty much the same thing really... it depends really how good you are creativly and artisticly.

Now, normaly creating all the concepts for simple games, takes a few months... creating all the concepts for a big game project, takes a year and more. Depending on how many concept-artist that are working on the same projects. So there's no ''real'' chance of being bored, what you must be affraid as a concept-artist is to be out of inspiration, since it's your inspiration that gives you money or not.

Now, to cover the fact of ''I'm drawing for my boss and the 12-16year old kid, it really depends on how you like your job as a concept-artist or not. Seriously, I personnally really LOVE to make concepts and see them be shaped into 3D models than animated and see my own creation part of a big project, it's sooooooooo awesome and cheering :D. But I agree, depending on the genres of game you're making, it could be pretty boring for an artist that doesn't like doing Sci-fi stuff (for example) and that is working on a Sci-fi related video-game.

But you deal with it really, and your boss isn't stupid either, if you tell them = I sincerly suck at coming with ideas for tanks and vehicules, but on the other hand, I could make robots and armours everyday... he'll probably affect you to an other team of concept-artists for the time being.

So yeah.. I hope that answers you.

Status
Not open for further replies.