• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Warhammer Halberdiers

Leaning against the wall, one soldier broke the silence with a question. "Sir, are Skaven real?"
Came the reply, "Don't be an idiot. Sigmar's own truth they're just spooks in a story."

Keywords: Reikland, Wissenland, Estalia, Wissenlander, Warhammer, Fantasy, Halberd, Halberdier, Renaissance, Era, German, English, Spanish, Middenland, Secessionist scum, State, Troop, Troops, Empire, Imperial, Averland, Border, Prince, Stirland, Ostermark, Talabecland, Ostland, Hochland

Changes
- Updated stand animations
- Changed leg texture
- New Pauldron
- Shrunk portrait, recalculated extents, hopefully fixed the orbital health-bar
- Revamped model to look more Warhammer-y
- Remade all stand animations
- Remade walking animation
- Remade attack animations
- Altered portrait
- Improved back breastplate wrap
- Added old version
- Exaggerated proportions of armour
- Made head bigger
- Made Halberd head slightly larger
- Improved wrap on under-arm and leg
- Added Estalian Halberdier variant
- Body no longer bounces through the ground on death
Previews
Contents

Estalian Halberdier (Model)

Reikland Halberdier (Model)

Reikland Halberdier (Old) (Model)

Reviews
General Frank
Works in-game, performs appropriately and is a good addition to the model section. Good job!
Level 7
Where have you read this?
I can't quite recall at the moment the source, but I do remember the criteria more or less, of what defines the difference between a poleaxe and a halberd.

I think it was something like:

• A shaft at least 10 feet in length.
  • A spike at least 1 cubit in length.
  • A spike or hook at the back.
  • An axe blade that is either straight or concave and is angled downwards toward the user.
I think it also said something about it being a formation weapon being used by heavy troops in tight formation, being used more so as a pike rather than an axe.
Which kinda makes sense, if you take a good long look at one. If you swung it like an axe, you'd hit the guys either behind you or beside you, which would probably make them not like you very much.
I figure, how they fought with them is you'd try to pull the other guys out of their formation and pin their halberd with your own so your buddies can stab at their less armoured bits.

Level 10
Wonderful!
The only thing that confused me a bit is that he has armor on his right arm, not on his left - should not it be the other way around?
Left arm is pushed forward and it would be more logical if it had armor on it because he don't wear a shield.

Last edited:
Level 64
Wonderful!
The only thing that confused me a bit is that he has armor on his right arm, not on his left - should not it be the other way around?
Left arm is pushed forward and it would be more logical if it had armor on it because he don't wear a shield.

You've got me there, I left the pauldron there as a remnant of the greatsword model - I could remove it entirely as a halberdier with heavy armour does seem somewhat out of place.

What do you think?

Level 10
Last edited:
Level 12
I can't quite recall at the moment the source, but I do remember the criteria more or less, of what defines the difference between a poleaxe and a halberd.

I think it was something like:

• A shaft at least 10 feet in length.
  • A spike at least 1 cubit in length.
  • A spike or hook at the back.
  • An axe blade that is either straight or concave and is angled downwards toward the user.
I think it also said something about it being a formation weapon being used by heavy troops in tight formation, being used more so as a pike rather than an axe.
Which kinda makes sense, if you take a good long look at one. If you swung it like an axe, you'd hit the guys either behind you or beside you, which would probably make them not like you very much.
I figure, how they fought with them is you'd try to pull the other guys out of their formation and pin their halberd with your own so your buddies can stab at their less armoured bits.
The halberd is a misunderstood weapon and is often confused for the poleaxe.
It's a very unique and interesting weapon used in tight formation. The blade curvature of it's "axe-head" is designed for a strike-and-pull action where the halberdier would bring down the halberd first hitting the opponent with the axe's protruding spike then pull the blade back to further slice the target.

Level 64
Thank you for keeping the old one! In some ways it feels better and more fitting than the new one.

Aye, originally I was just going to remake his breastplate to be less footman-y and more Warhammer-y (been playing a lot of Warhammer Total War) and I ended up rebuilding quite a lot of the model

I might've accidentally given him human proportions as opposed to footman ones, so I might squat him down a bit (time will tell, I'm going to make the swordsman today)