• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece!🔗 Click here to enter!

Warhammer 40k - A Starcraft II map concept

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
Ok, first of all I would like to say that this thread is here for the purpose of outlining a concept. I may or may not actually end up making this map, though I would like to.
Yeah, I will never actually end up making this, feel free to steal the idea.

This is a map (concept) that is heavily influenced by this. That map, however, kinda failed, and I think this is because of it’s slow pace, and the fact that you had to use Blink about a billion times…
Now, I am going to try to make a hopefully-faithful reproduction of the Warhammer 40k tabletop war-game, with a decent number of different units as well as a wargear system, leading to a large degree of customizability.
I will be hoping that Starcraft 2 has an inventory system, similar to that of Warcraft 3, as it would make this aforementioned wargear/upgrade system a lot easier (If you know if it will, please tell me).

There are some major drawbacks, mainly the fact that there will not immediately be many models that I can use (and my fear that there will not be many modelers, due to the game’s higher graphical standard), but thankfully Starcraft is a ripoff of Warhammer 40k, so I will be able to use some of it’s units as vague representations. I am hoping that there will be a way to convert Warcraft 3 models for use with Starcraft 2, then I can use Pyra’s stuff. :D
Another of these drawbacks, and this is a pretty big one, is the fact that I am not yet sure that Starcraft 2 will actually work on my shitty computer! Now, apparently it will be pretty compatible (I am not actually sure of this, but I think every unit will actually have 2 models, a low, WoW-like quality one, and a better, modern version), but I cannot be sure…
Icons will probably not be a problem, as I can always use the ones from DoW, convert them to .blps. There is a nice repository of 60x60 ones at the Relic wiki that I can use…

Now, on to the actual game. It will consist of a turn based system (obviously) divided into phases (again, obviously, I want to stay true to Warhammer). Now, I am not sure about this, but I may make it so that every player plays their phases simultaneously. This does not happen in actual 40k, but it will prevent people from getting too bored and leaving. It will work progressively, with units each having a choice of abilities, though usually there will only be one or two (Yai for contradictions). For example, during the Shooting phase, units will have the choice to either shoot or use Fleet of Foot (well, units that normally have the fleet of foot ability, anyway). Generally, using an ability will remove it from the unit, and Pause that unit until the next phase, whereupon it will get a new set of them. I am not sure as to how I will approach attacks; I don’t think using the normal unit attack would work very well, and have no idea what to sue as a substitute. I will need some help on this… To those of you who do not know how 40k works, it consists of Movement, Shooting and Assault phases, the former two of which are pretty self-explanatory, the latter is when units that can get a special Charge move, which they can use to move into close-combat with enemies. This phase is also used for actual melee combat, and retreats. Concerning retreats, I am not sure that I will be able to make such a system. The actual Leadership rolls wouldn’t be that hard, but detecting the amount of wounds dealt… Hmm… This leads on to another thing, the aforementioned mass-blink issue. This is an important hurdle, and I am not sure what to do about it. Maybe I will make some sort of Squad system… Anyway, I will also need some help on this.

Last edited:
Level 3
To quote blizzard on the galaxy editor.

"It will be possible for heroes to hold even more items than in World of Warcraft"

So yes, there will be an item system.

Nice idea, for attack just give the unit a 'firebolt' ability that deals damage over range.

Else use channel and trigger it yourself based on different ID's.

Status
Not open for further replies.