• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warfare map with rpg elements - terrain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
I've been working my ass off lately to make a nice playable envirroment,
for the map im making with a friend of mine.
Just wanna point out it's the first map im terraining,
well not counting several melee maps but those were made "blizzard style"
so i dont have much experience in it, thats why i ask of you to give an
constructive opinion about my terrains so that I can improve,
anyhow it'll be a battleground like map with elements of rpg,
its all about controlling the points, defending your base etc.
also you can get one (or more) of the 4 overall neutral factions
to join your cause via unique 4 questlines
(thats where the rpg element comes, with dungeons and shit).
But thats enough yapping here are the screencaps:

It's still wip as you can see part of the pavement is missing on the right side
Memorial.jpg

Harbor.jpg

Not all of the objects have reflections atm
Ingame reflections.jpg

Evergreen Plaza.jpg

ingame plaza.jpg

As in most of forested areas in the map there is still a huge lack of foliage, and the tiles are yet to be placed properly - thats just a "rough sketch" you could say, im gonna also dump some ruins broken/angled columns and make a shrine at the center of it.
Grove of the Ancients.jpg

Well that's just a base terrain there is going to be alot of stuff like weapon crates docked warships, npcs etc.
Rebellion Landing.jpg

Almost done out there, need a little more tile variation and plants and think it'll turn out ok
Village outskirts.jpg

A border post - last human controlled point in this part of land/general overlook of the area.
Crawford farmstead.jpg

At the foothold of Ravenhill Fortress, i've been inspired by teh village in silverpine forest (WoW - the one next to greymane wall) to make the wooden cliff
Duskville.jpg

As the fortress itself isn't nearly finished i've only made the walls and placed a cathedral at the center of it (looks ugly at the moment) there is nothing to show, so i'll just give you the view from the road up there :D
Ravenhill.jpg

And there's the wooden platform again this time in game.
ingame duskville.jpg

Dwarven City entrance, there is more details to appear on both sides of the gate, yeah i know the lamps are placed unevenly forgot to put one in place after dealing with da rocks.
WC3ScrnShot_041411_103735_12.jpg

Means "Giant Mountain" according to wowwiki, it's the one barely visible in the back, an overview of the dwarf zone with the fortress walls in foreground -there's a village atop the peak below which the city itself is placed, thus the platform with cannons is actualy a defense of the village, and the windows i made are supposed to indicate that there's an interior to the walls. It's just a wip, there's gonna be more to that xP especially the village
WC3ScrnShot_041311_010606_50.jpg

I was thinking about replacing the wooden stands with a stone, something to fit the theme more, i don't know need opinions on this one tbh.
WC3ScrnShot_041411_175213_47.jpg

Well that's the same zone, just testing the addition i've made to my map to freely rotate the camera clockwise and counter clockwise.(Im planning to make whole map viewable in full 3d - there's already alot of details that arent visible with a default game camera)
WC3ScrnShot_041411_165236_06.jpg

Here's the marketplace again, this time just want to show how does the terrain look beneath this grating, there's just a little bit problem with the angle in WE and dissapearing objects(for the record i had distance view on maximum) so you cannot see the rest of those hatches down there below, just the light.
WC3ScrnShot_041411_162745_99.jpg

I haven't worked much on an area around the forge, also gonna place some stuff around the room like ingots weapon racks, armor racks etc, and npc's hammering the anvil !
WC3ScrnShot_041411_184742_52.jpg

Last edited:
Level 6
Yeah well I don't intend on adding many stuff up, there are just 2 of us and it is hard as it is already xP aswell as I'm aware that the game has to stick to a theme in order to be a game, otherwise its just a clusterfuck of ideas. As for the doodads I'll be sure to credit everyone.

Level 6
Yeah i'll get to triggers after I'm done with terrain and units xP, but thanks for advice.

Level 3
awesome detail and work u got there. that city looks huge and complex, just like medieval city is supposed to :p
and that Lower Depth picture was just amazing. I have only one suggestion; as you have put so much detail into all these maps, i think u should use the other barrel model u can find here from Hive instead of those Blizzard ones that can be seen in some pictures. I dont know if its just me, but i think default barrels kill all terrains, no matter how good :/

Awesome work. really looking forward to this one :)

Level 6
Currently trying to cut back on models xD, the map is multi themed so i have uploaded a shitload already - there are instances, snow terrain, forest, a swamp, city etc. but I'll check out those barrels you told me anyway, thanks!.

Status
Not open for further replies.