1. Find your way through the deepest dungeon in the 18th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. A brave new world lies beyond the seven seas. Join the 34th Modeling Contest today!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hive 3 Remoosed BETA - NOW LIVE. Go check it out at BETA Hive Workshop! Post your feedback in this new forum BETA Feedback.
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

WarCraft: The Movie

Discussion in 'Warcraft Discussion' started by The_wand_mirror, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Pharaoh_

Pharaoh_

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Couldn't abstain from giving it a review. Too bad IMDb has a 1,000 word limit.

Here is what happens in the reviewing section: we have two factions (no pun intended with the Horde and the Alliance, but why not) of opinionated viewers, die-hard fans who have played WarCraft, and unrelated audience who were drawn because of the heavy advertising.

I belong to the first faction, yet I will try to be as objective as possible. Before my review, I want to mention that the argument of "You have not played the game, thus you are not entitled to an opinion" is terse at best. Blizzard, as we all know, is a video gaming company and they have spread their wings to film-making as well; why not, given that the cinematic trailers of their games are AAA quality. Although I feel compelled to actually use the previous argument against someone saying "it was a very mediocre movie", I am at the same time overwhelmed with rationality: Why do you have to be familiar with the game, in order to appreciate this movie?

Blizzard's responsibility, after having decided to take a stout venture in producing an actual film adaptation, was to immerse viewers in a world they have so elegantly and meticulously created. As with other movies, we do not need background story to acquaint ourselves with the movie's plot. That said, they should have found ways, given the abundance in narrative techniques, to bring naive viewers to a similar level of cognizance. Failure to do so implies that the narrative was mismanaged. I concede, the written story was far more inspiring than its audiovisual counterpart.

One of the first things you witness as a player in WarCraft is the insatiable loathing of humans against the orcs and vice versa. This part felt extremely rushed and undefined in the movie. The pace was so prematurely overtaken by the wicked and demigod Gul'dan, that before you know that humans are natural enemies of the orcs, you get to see them forming an alliance. This movie was destined to be an introduction to this universe - and it should intrinsically entail demonstration of races occupying the world, their relationship and some cultural idiosyncrasies. The narration could have been embellished with a voice actor (the actual game has many good ones to date), while a crow was navigating through the settlements, which would foreshadow the appearance of Medivh (something that we, as fans, would originally spot).

It was pretty clear that humans thought of orcs being beastly, but we got to see a very emotional Durotan which inadvertently coalesced into a humane version of an orc - yet he was still mistreated by the humans with reluctance. I might suggest that the conspicuous humanity is linked to the World of Warcraft game (my arguments concomitantly enter this realm), where players can also create orcs and thus identify with them. However, I am not sure if they should assemble human-like traits; if the director and/or writer wanted to instill empathy to the viewer, they could have achieved it by giving focus on the iniquitousness of the imminent events, not by turning naturally brutal warriors into weaklings. It is not explained why orcs, who grow in a society of the same standards, and are bound to obey their authoritative commanders like sheep, have such a deviating behavior. Thus, the fight taking place in the end, between Durotan and Gul'dan, was admittedly belated, for a sadistic and forcible ruler like Gul'dan.

Additionally, the voice overs were a huge disappointment. The voices of the orcs were very distorted and by no means reflecting the typical voices in the game. The game voices were much easier to understand and they did not sound like their pitch was exaggeratedly decreased by 20dB. They had a natural husky and roaring tone.

As for the acting, I did find it to be weak. It was Hollywood acting (and yes, this is derogatory): exaggerated facial expressions, overly dramatic tone with slow head motion, know-it-all attitude and shocking bravery (because let us recycle the stereotype that men are fearless). The actor who played Medivh felt completely out of place. His body- type would fit a barbarian or a warrior more than a wizard (we all know how wizards appear skinny or under-built in video games). Plus, I dare wonder, why did they choose a blond actor? I have not seen any depiction of the character with blond hair. Finally, Medivh looked more oblivious in the movie than a mysterious wizard (something that was easily pulled off by Dumbledore in Harry Potter, for example). It partially makes sense, as he was corrupted from within but the viewer was let known at a later stage, as a plot twist. It does not, however, give justice to the incarnation of the character on the big screen.

I will cast aside the fact that I have played the game. As a movie, it was entertaining, but it was not what I had envisioned. The only commendable part for me, the potential source of its entertaining value, was the CGI. I could never get enough of the spell-casting. Gul'dan was perfectly portrayed, very intimidating and demonic. I am also glad that certain "eggs" lied there for the fans: e.g. a Murloc standing in the middle of the river or Draenei used as prisoners. However, this is the problem; someone who is not familiar with the game will not discern and decipher these details. These exact details are what constitute this universe and make it so unique. Draenei, Elves, Dwarves and other races made appearance, so that the viewer takes a glimpse of the forthcoming story in the sequel, but they are all redundant when they are not given enough focus. Plus, the assemblage of different races to make decisions on their role in the war, did ring a huge Lord of the Rings bell. However, Lord of the Rings achieved a better reconstruction, because racial conflicts were uncovered throughout. Warcraft's assemblage, on the other hand, was very generic, purposeless, and lasted what, one minute?
    I am not sure how naive viewers are expected to keep up and appreciate the glory, imagery and richness of this world, when they are bombarded with visual stimuli of little importance. Indeed, many critics have -provocatively to the fans, but not necessarily wrongfully- mentioned that all the backstory appears to be too generic; one has actually proposed a renaming of Azeroth to "Generia". My heart crumbled in view of this statement and in realization of its validity.

In my opinion, the movie did not feel like the game. I have seen others stating that they had tears in their eyes because of the consistent resemblance to the game. Unfortunately, I did not have this feeling with respect to the nostalgia - it did not even manage to echo the magnificence of the game's cinematic trailers or even the in-game cut-scenes. Taking an example from WarCraft III (should still be representative of its predecessors), you would hear Maiev say "There's no telling what Gul'dan and his lackeys awoke in this foul place. We must be cautious." or Drak'Thul "Nearly twenty years ago, the great warlock Gul'dan raised these islands from the deeps. He sought to unearth an ancient vault that held the remains of the Dark Titan." and these simple sentences are powerful enough to make you succumb into unsolicited visual imagery. You want to know more about what they are saying, what they know and what they imply - they are enigmatic. The lines of the movie were vague and generic. There was no mystery, just some very powerful wizard, who is able to invoke walls of lightning for a surprisingly and unprecedentedly long time, yet he was unable to resist the Fel.

We also see Anduin Lothar ride a gryphon. Why was this creature objectified like a generic rideable animal - it makes little sense to see plentiful content without an explanation, as many critics pointed out. One of them stated that it felt like certain scenes were cut or never shot. Indeed, the transition between the scenes was so abrupt, that I had a second-hand embarrassment on behalf of the production team. Non-fans can surely understand that fantasy encompasses cliche creature design, inevitably recycled across fictional worlds. My point is, they lack character - everything in WarCraft has been given a meaning, yet the film only dismantled their visual depiction and not their importance of a role in this universe. What is going to happen when dragons are introduced? Naive viewers will automatically compare them to the most memorable, in recent memory, equivalents: dragons from Game of Thrones. Will WarCraft dragons stand a chance against the belittling of such a comparison?

My review is negative - I get it. This, however does not come from ostensible spite or ostentatious, self-proclaimed experience in criticizing films. It comes from a fan who expected more from a perpetually perfectionist Blizzard.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  2. Kaijyuu

Kaijyuu

Resources:
    Resources:
    what are you talking about that's awesome

Well except for the painfully obvious Pizza Hut advertising.

3. Rhorhan

Rhorhan

Resources:
    Resources:
    I totally agree. They totally got the story line mixed up, was a bit annoying. But was a good movie overall. A GoT style would be such a good way of telling the warcraft story though, then Blizzard will be able to get into much better detail concerning certain characters and events which took place. I'd give movie 7/10

4. Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    This, exactly. What if we eventually get the WC3 storyline as a movie? There is no way they can fit the Thrall, Illidan and Arthas stories into just a single 2 hour movie. There is just way too much going on in this game.

5. A Void

A Void

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    To be honest games weren't that long to begin with. And the movie will not go trough every little detail in the story, it will focus on main plot.

By the way this was just Theatrical Cut, wait for Blu-Ray Director's Cut for additional 40 minutes. 2 h, 3 min + 40 min = 2 h 43 min ( Director's Cut )

6. Abelhawk

Abelhawk

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    How does everyone feel about the lore changes? I personally really like them, some of them better than the canon. For example, I think it makes so much more sense that Medivh is Garona's father rather than her lover, and that Garona actually is half-human and half-orc. I personally like the aspect of the Fel so far, though if sequels follow they'll have to change things up a bit when it comes to the Burning Legion and drinking the blood of Mannoroth. Which I'm fine with!
    Overall, I loved the movie, and I think that in a lot of ways it's the way the lore should have gone. World of Warcraft took way too many weird liberties in terms of modern gnomish technology, weird world history (like the Old Gods, silithids, etc., which I never liked), and races—there are just way too many half X-half human races in every area just for the purpose of grinding and fighting. Seeing the story in a more realistic light was a delight to me. This is coming from a guy whose favorite Warcraft game out of the series is Warcraft 3, then Warcraft 2, then Warcraft 1, then WoW, however (at least in terms of lore), so I can see how others may have very different opinions.

Can't wait for the director's cut!

7. pyf

pyf

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  8. A Void

A Void

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
  9. pyf

pyf

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Extended fan cuts of famous movies do exist indeed.

10. Abelhawk

Abelhawk

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I did notice in the credits that an actor for "Young Medivh" was credited. Definitely didn't see a scene with a young Medivh in it, so I would guess that's one of the scenes.

11. A Void

A Void

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Nice find!

12. pyf

pyf

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
  13. pyf

pyf

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
  14. Tauer

Tauer

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    So, apparently the movie lost money. Why do Americans seem to hate this movie, but love The Avengers? It's beyond me.

Doesn't really bode well for a sequel. I guess the only chance is if they're planning on catering even more towards the Chinese audience with the next one.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  15. Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Beats me too. Then again, I wouldn't trust IGN on that. Simply because I would never trust IGN. It's the buzzfeed of gaming websites.
    With almost 430 Millions in china, it's impossible for the film not to have paid for itself, despite China taking some cuts.

This will definitely happen. I'd say they will continue the franchise, but on a smaller production budget. Recycling some art assets from the movie might be a good idea.

16. pyf

pyf

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    :eekani:
    Current grosses as of 07/12, according to Box-Office Mojo :

Domestic: $46,671,870 (10.8%)
    + Foreign: $383,500,000 (89.2%)
    = Worldwide: $430,171,870

Total gross in China is $220,841,090, as of 07/03/2016

...or they might decide to switch to a totally different strategy, by focusing on other unexplored production (and distribution) channels :

Classic 2d TV animation is cheap nowadays. And even a (not as detailed) full CGI TV series might be more profitable in the mid/long run.

17. Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    A fully animated series would probably be awesome.

And yes I admit it; i'm one of those people that liked the Clone Wars series. t.t

18. Tauer

Tauer

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    You kidding me? Clone Wars was awesome. Started out pretty weak, but the last couple of seasons were amazing.

19. Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Well, the Wars elitists have a tendency to hate everything beyond the initial 3 movies.

20. A Void

A Void

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I liked Star Wars prequels more than the original movies which I couldn't force myself to watch. :p