1. Find your way through the deepest dungeon in the 18th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. A brave new world lies beyond the seven seas. Join the 34th Modeling Contest today!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hive 3 Remoosed BETA - NOW LIVE. Go check it out at BETA Hive Workshop! Post your feedback in this new forum BETA Feedback.
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

WarCraft: The Movie

Discussion in 'Warcraft Discussion' started by The_wand_mirror, Jan 18, 2007.

1. A Void

A Void

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Despite my previous determination that this movie is going to fail, it proved me wrong. I loved those little references, characters, story build-up. Finally the movie felt too short, it deserved atleast 4 hours to fully explain and emerge itself into the vast lore of this World. And that was the reason, it didn't quite explain anything to new people who didn't play games or read the books. That's why It came to a conclusion that it lacked introduction, many people hardly understood the lore behind why should they care about Orcs or Humans. Why is the Orc world dying? Who are these characters?

The bad ratings were because people weren't introduced to this franchise, the movie ended on a short notice without any conclusion. We know what happens next, but they don't.

Overall, I give it 10/10

2. Tauer

Tauer

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I'm just gonna copy-and-paste what I wrote in my model thread:

Review

Honestly, I found it to be a solid film. I enjoyed it quite a bit, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little dissapointed.

The separate canon was a tough pill to swallow. I get that they're trying to make their version of the MCU, and I wouldn't really have an issue with changes if they improved the storyline or pacing. But the problem is I don't really think they did. In some areas they actually worked against the plot and character development,
    Medivh not aging Khadgar is an example of a huge change from the books, one which will have a major impact on his character. Also he was the heir to Karazhan or something like that? That part just served to make his storyline more complicated than it needed to, instead of streamlining it for a casual audience.

The Dwarves and Elves already being in the Alliance (the fact that there even is one) takes away from the plot of the Second War and the creation of the Alliance. If they even plan on doing that. I don't really get why they did this either. We didn't even see the Elves or Dwarves doing anything. The dwarves were there to introduce a gun (which got used way too much for my taste) and we only saw the Elves in one scene. They might as well not be in there.

Lothar and Son plot was soapy and unnecessary. Also Lothar was portrayed very differently from his book counterpart. Not necessarily a bad thing, but he was kind of a dick.

Thing that pissed me off the most though was their portrayal of Orgrim Doomhammer. Not even mentioning that they made him a Frostwolf (this takes a lot of meaning away from his friendship with Durotan, and how unheard of it was among the orcs) but they make him a fucking traitor? That's just not the Doomhammer we know. His character in general was completely wasted in this movie. I thought they would at least give him his moment against Gul'dan or Blackhand for redemption, but no dice.
    It seems to me that alot of the changes were made just to make changes, which in my opinion is a bad practice. A lot of the areas were the film fell short, the source material got right.
    There were a few changes I actually liked though.
    Gul'dan reviving a stillborn Thrall was a really cool twist, and also a great explanation of why he is green in the new canon. It also set a great tone for the rest of the movie. I loved that.

The scene where they go through the portal was so awesome. Amazingly well made in my opinion.

I liked Llane having Garona stab him to save her, very nice twist. Even though it changes her whole character and her motivations, I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes.

I enjoyed how they gave Blackhand a little character instead of just making him a generic bad guy. But him going out like a bitch against Lothar was bullshit.

I would've liked Durotans death if not for the fact that he died for nothing. They set it up like this huge sacrifice that would open his peoples eyes. But it didn't. They might have compained a bit, but when the credits rolled they were still following Gul'dan. There was no payoff. Wasted opportunity for an otherwise well made and emotional death.

It did do a lot of things right, most notably the orcs. They were pretty amazing. Durotan was by far the best character in the movie. Garona was quite interesting, but I think she stood out too much compared to the normal orcs.
    I definately think it was a mistake for the movie to focus primarily on the humans, and it seems like I'm not the only one who thinks so. As far as I've seen, even casuals were more interested in the orcs.
    It was quite funny in some areas (Murloc!!) but the dialogue also felt incredibly cheesy in many areas, mostly among the humans. Amazing how the orcs seemed to have better acting than the humans.

All in all, it was decent film that suffers from some occasional cheesy dialogue and weird pacing, but has amazing visuals and interesting characters. As a long time fan of Warcraft lore though, I was put off by the huge amount of changes they made to the lore, most of which seemed unnecessary and didn't really further the plot.

One thing is for sure, it does not deserve the overwhelming hate it gets from critics. It was just as good as, if not better than, any of the MCU movies I've seen. I hope we'll get a Director's Cut with the missing 40 minutes that were allegedly cut. That's a fucking lot. I'm willing to bet that it changes pacing completely.

TL;DR Good film, but no masterpiece. I don't agree that it's a 10/10 but neither do I agree with critics hating on it. Personally, I'd put it at about 7/10.

3. pyf

pyf

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
  4. The_Silent

The_Silent

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It was a film for the fans. Not a film to introduce a new audience.

5. Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Hmm, only 24 millions during the first week in the US? Seems like americans don't like Warcraft... compared to the 280 millions that the movie already made internationally...

6. Tauer

Tauer

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I blame the overwhelmingly bad reviews the critics have given it. I really don't get why it's getting all this hate.

It's breaking records in China though. That alone gives me hope for a sequel.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  7. The_Silent

The_Silent

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Probably both a sequel and a whole cinematic universe.

8. Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    To be honest, I would rather see Warcraft as a GoT style series... I could imagine this working much better, since the story is just too much to fit into 2 hour movies.

I think part of the reason why Warcraft isn't successful in the US is because the fantasy genre (especially high fantasy) doesn't do all that well there in general.

Also, even with 24 millions in the first week, Warcraft already did a lot better domestically than most of the superhero movies released over the last year. And god knows why we keep getting more of these, even if everyone is sick of them.

9. A Void

A Void

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    No wonder Blizzard is giving so much attention to china community. First 1.27 patch announcement specifically made for Warcraft 3 community in China and the new platform. Gotta say, it's your own fault US playerbase.

I'm thankful that yet again China is going to save this movie for another sequel.

10. pyf

pyf

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
  11. Tauer

Tauer

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I agree. But the kind of budget they'd need to make a series with quality on par with the movie is unfortunately not very realistic.

12. A Void

A Void

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    The lore was adapted into a movie, most of changes were well developed. Warcraft 1 barely had any lore to it, it was a very simplistic Warhammer copy during early lore. Most of lore was established in the later games. Simply put, Warcraft 1 was full of plot holes that were yet-to be established. Certain parts had to be reconnected for the sake of realism and character development, others had to be changed for movie adaptations. Regardless, the lore was approved by Blizzard Entertainment and it is not considered canon.

13. pyf

pyf

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    This is also why the live-action TV series so-called Star Wars: Underworld was never shot, despite the fact over fifty scripts are already written.
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Underworld

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  14. A Void

A Void

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
  15. Chen

Chen

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Seen the movie, really worth watching! It's really entertaining but it's not perfect. It got some flaws and could really use more but it's really great. So here's my review.

Review -SPOILERS-

As said, the movie was fine. I'd probably rate it 7/10.

The movie pretty much have flaws, mainly pacing. It felt too crammed, that's understandable but that doesn't stop them from doing better about it. There's also problems with the characters. The portrayal felt fine but lacking character, though characters like Durotan, Lothar, Khadgar, Gul'dan and to some extent Garona are a bit more fleshed out. Characters like Llane, Doomhammer(while lacking, he's still one of the most epic characters), Medivh and probably Blackhand could use more.

CGI is the best part of the movie. Durotan, Gul'dan, Draka and all the other orcs really felt realistic enough. About the human parts, choreography actually feels weak compared to the orc ones but it's fine I guess.

The plot also got problems, sometimes it gets a little messy but for a movie it's okay. The pace really affected some of it and some parts just feels really quick. I also liked how they added some gags for the lulz but doesn't get out of hand, I hope the same could be said about the romantic parts but at least they're not too long. I didn't quite like that they added Alodi instead of Aegwynn. I mean it won't change anything and would actually be better. Also, the movie also added some sadder parts just right(Callan's death and Lothar begging for Medivh to turn down his spell, Llane, Durotan and also Draka's death etc.). Overall the plot is kinda average.

It's really worth watching if you're a fan of the lore or the games, I'm not sure about otherwise. Can't wait for a sequel and maybe a Thrall movie based on Lord of the Clans? I really hope it'll do better in the sequel/s. That's all for me.

16. pyf

pyf

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    As for me, I can not wait for Warcraft: the Musical, because musicals can make good money (notably in the US), at low production costs.
    :ogre_hurrhurr:

17. A Void

A Void

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Uh, What?

18. Kaijyuu

Kaijyuu

Resources:
    Resources:
    I know I would've watched it if it were actually a musical.

19. pyf

pyf

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    In fact, there are already official kinda musical parts in the Warcraft Universe :

As for a live musical, well... let us hope it would be much better than this one :

Warning : may not be suited for children over the age of 10 - viewer discretion is advised

:ogre_hurrhurr:

Plus, like orcs, they are green and bear weapons

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  20. terrio

terrio

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Alright i just have seen the movie, and ill say it short about current situation
    70% of critics (i bet) had no clue about the story and simply gave 1/10, that was enough to turn off me (warcraft fan) at first impression, and probaly did most of people, making the profit in america so low.
    The movie was not a masterpiece but still enjoyable, i give it 7.5/10