1. Find your way through the deepest dungeon in the 18th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. A brave new world lies beyond the seven seas. Join the 34th Modeling Contest today!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hive 3 Remoosed BETA - NOW LIVE. Go check it out at BETA Hive Workshop! Post your feedback in this new forum BETA Feedback.
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

WarCraft: The Movie

Discussion in 'Warcraft Discussion' started by The_wand_mirror, Jan 18, 2007.

1. A Void

A Void

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I'm judging the leaked footage, trailers and story concept that was revealed. All those things lead to a conclusion that this movie will be poor attempt to cover big game franchise.

I'm not sugar-coating, or fan craving this material when it's actually crap. Obsessed fans see it the other way.

You will remember my comment when you finish watching the movie. It would be ironic to say: I told you.

2. NhazUl

NhazUl

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The orcs look realistic enough for me. It's the humans that I mistake for CGI, and that's really weird because they aren't. Lothar's armor also isn't very pleasing to the eye.

3. 7urmoil

7urmoil

Resources:
    Resources:
    I fail to see the problem with retcons. In the movies they happen only to help the narrative (which is why I'm not gonna whine that Tom Bobadil and Peeves the Poltergeist don't exist in the movies).... and honestly the flying Dalaran is one of the least problematic, in fact none of the retcons we've seen so far change anything in the grand scheme of this movie or possible sequels for that matter.

Most of the "old characters" have been made younger for about 10 years, heck this version of Lothar looks more like Warcraft 1 version, where he didn't look like a grandpa, which also leads to Medivh's portrayal, since he, Lothar and Llaine were supposed to be childhood friends about the same age, so why make him look grey when when he looks middle-aged.

The CGI looks about the same level as Rise of Planet of the Apes and it's done by the same people for most Marvel comics and Force Awakening, so I'm not really bothered by the quality, you only do that when one has a determined mentality that "CGI is bad, only practicals are good".

And as far as armor/weapons are concerned, gritty=/= realistic. Hell, on 1st sight, any armor/weapon can look unrealistic, when it's not battleworn, caked in dirt and blood, meanwhile we have a kingdom that likely hasn't seen any real threats for decades and even trolls don't pose that much of a threat (if I'm to understand there's supposed to be a scene at the beginning where trolls attack Stormwind and Medivh whoops their asses).

Anyway, the visuals are only as good as the narrative. If the latter succedes, nobody's gonna bat an eye; but if it fails.... well, then you get Gods of Egypt.

The whole point of Blizzard hireing Duncan Jones in the 1st place was because he understood the greound work of the franchise. If they had gotten Jackson on the team, he's probably make a one-sided fantasy adventure, which is ok for Tolken's work, since that's the whole pont of it, but it's on in Warcraft's case; that's why they vetoed Sam Raimi's script.

4. Chaosy

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Recently a new trailer was released for the Warcraft movie, this one is actually much better than the ones previously released in my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUcMX3CL5aA&feature=youtu.be

And here is another one which was released a week ago or something, if I recall.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTKshm00ehI&feature=youtu.be

To my knowledge none of these have been highlighted here on the hive.

5. Chen

Chen

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    "I don't like Duncan Jones what a very big mistake, this movie will fail." What a nice way to state opinions that just the same as your every "opinion". You complain at everything, but hey it's your opinion why not respect it.

6. A Void

A Void

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    What took you to respond, the delay is immense. I posted that weeks ago. Anyway, thank you for your kind words.

7. Chen

Chen

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    At least I'm not a person who suddenly just jump in and be an anti-fun police just because I saw something really happy about the movie.

It could have been fine if you state really good criticism, not obvious or unnecessary ones.

8. Duke

Duke

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It doesn't look very good so far. If it wasn't called Warcraft I doubt it would get any attention at all.

9. GunSlinger

GunSlinger

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm a little worried about this movie being a flop, you know, since movie adaptations of video games most often suck.

10. Rheiko

Rheiko

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    All we can do is just hoping for the best of this movie.

11. Pszichopark

Pszichopark

Resources:
    Resources:
    Age 13 they said, when i mentioned, Thralls story is written to be like that of Moses, and not like in Lord of the Clans, which was not Age 13 that much. We have to get along with this, just as much as with the presentation of Old "Do we have a preexistent model of the old one? Nope, let's just use New" Stormwind.
    Lothar-Dead Mines (Will that even be mentioned or just deleted? :p). 6 years passed right? So, if Lothar is like 60+ by Warcraft 2, considering what a white balding old man he is, he should be in his 50's in Warcraft 1. Just as Llane, just as Medivh, so yeah. Young cast. They try to build new idols. I would have laughed if John Rhys-Davies get's a role in this one too. :D
    The Kurgan as Blackhand is sweet though.

12. NhazUl

NhazUl

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I'm getting hyped for Gul'Dan. The crowd manipulation scene in the leaked footage is something I want to see more of.

I don't know, but Travis Fimmel doesn't fit Lothar from what I've seen. Maybe I just need to see him in action. And pairing him up with Garona? Well at least it won't lead to Med'an.

13. PurgeandFire

PurgeandFire

Code Moderator

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
  14. A Void

A Void

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yeah, don't expect the movie to be any near good as Lord of The Rings. The above footage just sums it up, poor choice of actors, terrible humor timing, characters look nothing like they did in games, Orcs look like pumped up on steroids, too many retcons and the CGI is tragic. The movie resembles more of a spin-off. Another overhyped product?

15. Chaosy

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Sums of what? It looks pretty good.

I don't think anyone expects it to be as amazing as LOTR, does not mean it sucks.

16. A Void

A Void

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    The thing is that Warcraft movie was totally overhyped, the end product doesn't match what we imagined it to be. The expectations are slicing what little good this movie has.

17. PurgeandFire

PurgeandFire

Code Moderator

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    After seeing general community reactions, it seemed like a lot of people thought it would flop. Most people were *hoping* that it would do well (as a milestone for video game-movie adaptations, since that track record is so terrible), but no one was really convinced. Some warcraft fans were convinced by the trailers--but even the recent ones had me a little downcast.

However, these clips brought my spirit back up. I agree that it has some cartoony CGI and a lot of humor, but that honestly has always been at the heart of Warcraft. Even though wc had compelling storylines that could be told in a serious/dark manner, everything about the world has always been high fantasy and "colorful" as opposed to gritty. I think if people embrace that, then they'll be able to enjoy the movie as it was meant to be enjoyed.

Also, a few people watched the screening and they were all pretty positive--even from non-warcraft fans. So I'm probably even more hyped. It means we may be one step closer to the Arthas series we've all always wanted. <3

idk, they look pretty accurate minus the skin color differences. Here is a good ref photo:
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

18. Rheiko

Rheiko

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I would actually prefer the storylines to be told in a serious/dark manner. I have never really thought about Warcraft has a lot of humor since I was a kid but it's alright, I'll see whether I can enjoy the movie or not. :D

Arthas series! <3

19. pyf

pyf

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    My personal feelings about the four clips

first try
    - The first one reminded me of Uwe Boll's King Rising. Need I say more ? Also, the Mage reminded me of the Grigori Rasputin character (miscasted imho) from the first Hellboy movie.
    - The second clip made me cringe when I saw the Orcs. More latex and prosthesis than CGI here. One of them looked clumsy and dumb.
    - The third one did not convince me about Garona. Actors' performances seemed weak, as well as cinematography.
    - The fourth clip was talking and exposition, done properly.

And then I watched them again.

second try
    - The first clip is still of Uwe Boll quality standards to me. No hope here.
    - The second one proves to be more interesting. We see tactics and ambush. Orcs are massive and brutal. A horse is used as a weapon (CGI horse of course, but still, there is something here). Orcs suddenly seem less silly-looking.
    - The third clip still looks unconvincing imho.
    - The fourth one is in fact *very* well done. It succeeds in making a conversation between two non-human creatures interesting ; we actually care for them. Camera movement is both subtle and effective. The camera also tells us something more, by revealing the Orc's buildings. This is good, well-planned cinematographic storytelling here imho. Plus, CGI work is very detailed (it has to be) and believable.

I think my initial reaction was because I did not see the movie in its proper narrative context. The fourth clip shows it can have really good moments, and the first one shows it can have terrible ones too (for me, that is).

What bothers me most is the fact that the story will most probably be very predictable (for the French version, please see here).

Last edited: May 13, 2016
  20. SMBComix

SMBComix

Resources:
    Resources:
    I've been playing Warcraft (RTS and MMO) since 2009. I just gotta say this movie's already blowing my mind. I wish my modelling skills were anywhere near Tauer's, I'd probably whip up a series of unit models based on the movie. That's how excited I am.