• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft lagging REALLY hard all of a sudden

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 30
Before anything else, I'd like to apologize if this is not the appropriate forum for this, but I couldn't have found anywhere else to post this.

Basically, two days ago, whenever I try to open Warcraft III FT, it takes forever to load it up, and when the main menu loads, hovering over any of the button options simply freezes the PC up. I haven't had this issue for over 6 years with same PC configuration, and yes, my Warcraft III is original. I've tried to open Region of Chaos, and it has the same issue.

Regclean, defragmentation, kill backup programs - nothing worked. I can't reinstall Wc3 simply because I've lost my CD key in a fire that caught my house few years ago.

Oddly enough, VERY oddly tho, when I run Warcraft from the Test Map option in World Editor, it's all fine. Apart from the fact that the JNPG I'm using is attached to an alternate copy of warcraft on my disc, which is a fake one (latest JNPG requires that specific version of Wc3). Again, that's not the problem since it ran like that for several years.

It just started behaving like this few days ago and now I can't play on BattleNET, or can't play at all. All other games, systems and programs run good as they were. Any ideas on what's going on?

Level 12
(latest JNPG requires that specific version of Wc3)
Uhm, I'm running the lastest JNGP on 1.26a and not noticing any issues. Should I be worried about something?

About your problem I would always suggest a new installation. With a tool like this you could read your CD key. Mind though that I just found this via google and did not test it, so no warranty here.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Slow loading points towards a disk I/O problems (slow I/O). Make sure that the files have not been accidently compressed by mistake. I think Windows marks such files with blue names.

The buttons hanging could be corrupted assets. I recommend running full check disk to validate the integrity of all files on the partition.

You could try a rollback in case a windows update broke something. This should not damage WC3 but could fix bad updates.

Level 15
try to check process. Press crtl+shift+escape and check the process running. Also see the cpu usage. on my laptop, i need to run Warcraft twice, and there are some rundll process which take 70% of my cpu. then end that process.

Level 30
Done checkdisk and found the issue.

Basically, one of the custom local files I've been using for ages to modify the main menu model to Night Elven one, along with a custom main menu music, became corrupted. That's why the game would crash in main menu already. Since I couldn't delete the file, as PC would froze upon selecting those files, I just removed "Allow Local Files" in my registry editor, which disabled both files, and therefore "fixed" the issue.

Not perfect, but certainly works.

I found the issue by remembering I can't copy the entire folder, so I went to the folder, and copied files and folders one by one until it diplayed error on "Sounds" and "UI" custom folders.

Thanks for help!

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
if you run the pre-boot version of checkdisk then it should be able to fix the corrupted file. By fix I mean it will either restore it or remove it from the partition logic allowing you to replace it with a new copy (which will not be corrupt). This might be only for Windows Vista and later though.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Try running chkdsk and set it to "schedule it on next boot". It should be able to "repair" (more like deal with) corrupted files like that.

If it did not help (done that already) then you might either need to use command lines to permit it to repair such files or it is a feature that was added in windows Vista.

After my RAID1 array was corrupted due to a power outage (it broke RAID logic on reboot due to motherboard factory reset) it found and removed several corrupted system files.

Level 30
Corrupted. Disk died today .-.

Fortunately enough, I was able to start extracting everything Wc3 mod related to a new one, so a good part of my projects are salvaged. There is loss, mostly in form of dozens of skins and icons I had sitting unpolished haven't had the time to get copied, but it's livable. Hey I even found a lost Diablo II Map that just needs some polish to get uploaded :)

I also managed to extract all original wc3 MPQ files, and when I've replaced fake Wc3 ones, and some fiddling with registry to change the paths, I have my original Warcraft salvaged as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.