1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Lead your forces to battle in the 15th Techtree Contest. The call is yours, commander!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The reforging of the races is complete. Come see the 14th Techtree Contest Results.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. It's time to choose your horse in the race - the 32nd Modeling Contest Poll is up!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Warcraft IV: Red Horizons

Submitted by radeonmaster
This bundle is marked as substandard. It may contain bugs, not perform optimally or otherwise be in violation of the submission rules.
Disclaimer: Yes, the map size is enormous. However, this map is really more of a "mod" and is designed to be played through a modified MPQ file. Since that can't be uploaded, I've uploaded a "source" map.

This map attempts to answer the question: What if Blizzard develops Warcraft 4 to be a more traditional RTS?

The result is fast-paced gameplay with heroes taking a less important role and brute force being emphasized over magic. A fully functional navy has been implemented and the custom effects and models have maintained Blizzard-like quality. Also, units feel more deadly and less cartoonish/feminine, as many models have been replaced with more badass counterparts.

Two new gameplay systems have been added: one for the Undead and Orcs and one for the Humans and Night Elves. These new units and abilities are accessed through the worker units' advanced build button, or in the case of the Night Elves, by training a Blood Elf engineer

The Undead and Orcs have an offensive approach. They can build a “Demon Alter” functionally similar to a “superweapon” factory from CnC. Upon storing enough mana, the altar can deploy a variety of powerful spells at any point on the map. Units and heroes can be sacrificed to increase the mana. In contrast, the Humans and Night Elves have a defensive approach. They can build walls and grow a defensive barrier of trees and deploy other special units.

The terrain in this version is not polished. If you'd like to terrain it, send me a PM and I'll send you an unprotected version.

Version 1.1:

- Added oil patches to the seas, which function as a time-based income system
- Added the Ancient Collosal to the Night Elves; a wisp can merge its spirit with a Mountain Giant to create the massive unit capable of hurling boulders long distances
- With their Well of Wonder, the Night Elves can grow trees to create a defensive barrier anywhere within a large radius (They can no longer build walls)
- Orcs can build War Stations, mobile units that can repair machines and train Grunts, Raiders, and Axemen
- Humans can upgrade their walls to allow Archers to garrison and fire from them
- Mercenary naval units: Pirate ships that plunder from enemy units each attack, Gnomish repair vessels, a kamikaze Orc rowboat
- If a Hero kills the Dragon King, he reaches max experience
- Killing the Dragon King drops the lucrative "Dragon Gold" item, it's worth 10,000 gold

Version 1:

- Added high-resolution terrain textures for the Lordaeron tileset
- Decreased wait time for Prince

Version .9:

- Orcs and Humans have a "super unit." If the Orcs build 25 ogres, they acquire the Ogre Master, a powerful hero with unique spells.
- If the Humans build enough defensive structures, they acquire the Royal Family. First come the King who can create Vassal states, knight Royal Captains, and marry a Queen. When the Queen appears, the prince will also soon appear. The prince is himself a hero, but can choose to murder his father (you just have him attack your King) to become even more powerful.
- Vassals generate an income stream
- The "Knight" ability when applied to Royal Captains summons a horse, allowing the unit to become a Royal Crusader
- The Humans now have the "Enforce Prayer" ability at the Church. Activating it will allow a chance that an Angel appear in 5 minutes to provide extra defense to your forces
- The Dragon King now has a knock-back ability
- To make directing large armies even easier, every unit has a "Command Comrades" ability. Clicking anywhere on the map will order all units of its type to attack-move the target location

Version .8:
- Orcs, Humans, and Undead workers have an "advanced build" button; Night Elves can train Blood Elf engineers; you no longer have to purchase builder units as mercenaries
- Human footmen are promoted to Royal Captains once they accumulate 5 kills
- Night Elves can build a Blood Elf Observatory, which can reveal the entire map for 10 seconds
- To ease micromanagement of large armies, heroes have a "command coordinates" ability that allows them to order all of your military units to attack-move any point on the map.
- Races are now balanced

Other major features:
- Food limit is now 200
- Units' attack strength has been doubled

Minor features:
- Humans can upgrade Knights to Paladins. Paladins have a 25% chance of surviving the death of their horse to continue the battle as a foot soldier.
- Orcs can increase the armor of Ogres further with a special upgrade that equips them with shields
- Siege weapons have a badass explosion impact
- Abominations have been replaced by Hell Riders who can set building on fire with their raze ability
- Human archers have a flaming arrow ability that sets units on fire
- Siege towers can be garrisoned, and when garrisoned by archers can attack
- Kodo Beast Tower can be garrisoned by Troll Beserkers
- Undead can build the Lindormr Dragon, which can take off and land, functioning as both a land and air unit
- Dwarven Cannon team can lay mines
- When heroes die, they drop "spoils," an item recoverable by both enemy or friendly heroes which gives the owner 250 gold
- an independent population limit for ships, just like in Age of Empires 3, which avoids problematic trade-offs between land and sea units
- Many more unique units and abilities!

NOTE: This map is designed to be played LAN with a friend, since the AI will not take advantage of many of the features.

UPDATE: Fixed some of the tool tip errors and balanced creeps.

Thank you to the many talented artists who have submitted their work to this website's resource section. Your work is very high quality and I am indebted to many of you.

forelmashi (for the map template), HFR, Balnnazar, Beepo, Callahan, Blade.dk, Blizzard Entertainment, Cookie, Darky27, Dmitry Rommel, Elven Spellmake, General Frank, Ghan_04, olofmolem, Miseracor, General Frank,Hueter, Happy Tauren, FrIkY, Amigurumi, jatter2, Kitabatak, Tenebrae, Illidan(Evil)X, Hubcool, ahtiandr, IceFrog, maskedpoptart, Metzen, Moyack, Paladon, Pitzer Mike, PurplePoot, quaisio, richie_lich, Red XIII, Rising_Dusk, Strategy Master, The_Mechanic, Tiki, Tim., Vexorian, w3catlegio, Whitehornm, Tranquil, Olofmoleman, Mechanical Man, wingednosering, Kallimachos

Keywords:
Warcraft 4, Warcraft 2, traditional rts, starcraft, red alert, diablo
Contents

Warcraft IV: Red Horizons (Map)

Reviews
18:54, 11th Aug 2010 ap0calypse: Rejected
  1. 18:54, 11th Aug 2010
    ap0calypse: Rejected

2. Tau Empire

Tau Empire

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Jesus 4.08 MB and it's suppose to be a melee game? That's a lot of imports, btw Blizzard may do a WC4 after SC2 and Diablo 3, you may never know.

3. Alagremm

Alagremm

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    They do want to. They say it will have a campaign system similar to the SC2 one, or not...

4. Loyal2NES

Loyal2NES

Resources:
    Resources:
    Very interesting map. However, there are tooltip errors all over the place, Spirit Walkers are still 500-hitpoint tauren in their ethereal forms, and goblin sappers can lay mines all over the place - for free. That's just the orcs, mind you, I haven't tried the other races yet.

EDIT: For undead, the Lich-whatever-it's-called-now is a bit too powerful. Level3 frost-nova can one-shot nearly all of the "basic" "barracks" units with the nova damage, Death Knight's Death Coil still does full damage/healing, and mass ghouls, while now viable due to lower food cost + lower hitpoints all around, will almost certainly get one-shotted by any AOE at all, if Frost Nova is any indication.

Heroes in general have far too many hitpoints, and for the most part can just rambo through to the backlines and kill whatever. This also makes a Wand of Illusion absolutely silly for creeping. Speaking of which, creeps need their hitpoints scaled down some because it is just real damn costly to get at the creep camps with an Overseer and 4 poachers.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2009
  5. supertoinkz

supertoinkz

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    another altered melee map that contains 10% change from the original races o.o

6. radeonmaster

radeonmaster

Resources:
    Resources:
    supertoinkz:

that's an interesting take. however, the idea wasn't to convert the game to a different genre or gameplay type. the goal was to keep the ideas from Warcraft 3 that were fun as well as compatible with a traditional RTS.

since you took the time to come up with a precise measure of how much i altered the original game, i took the opportunity to look at your map, "Warcraft: Orcs and Humans." i found that you deleted two of the races. i guess simply deleting content constitutes a substantial alteration? the same with rehashing ideas from a 16 year old game? you didn't change the orcs all that much; most of thier base base units remain the same.

i'd say you changed the original races 3.2%

7. Tau Empire

Tau Empire

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Now now you two don't start insulting each other, I didn't try this and I lack the reason of doing so cause most of these maps have so much potential but yet arn't shown.

8. Kyux

Kyux

Resources:
    Resources:
    umm, where do i get the lindomir dragon, and what are the "seeds of war"?

9. radeonmaster

radeonmaster

Resources:
    Resources:
    the dragon is at the boneyard.

seeds of war is an uprade available at the blood elf institute. it allows the creation of ancient warriors - massive, mobile trees that can garrison and produce troops for the night elves.

10. Kyux

Kyux

Resources:
    Resources:
    yeah, thanks, after playing again, i found them both, TYVM!!!!

11. Rodny

Rodny

Resources:
    Resources:
    It says the file name is to long O_O when i tried to play it with a friend of mine. Soooo. Can you please fix it XD.

12. Erader

Erader

Resources:
    Resources:
    A changelog would be nice.

13. radeonmaster

radeonmaster

Resources:
    Resources:
    The file size of the map is too big? Make sure you've patched Frozen Throne to the latest version. Blizzard has increased the maximum map size for LAN games to 8 mb. (from 4 mb previously)

14. The_Phalanx

The_Phalanx

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    File name, not the file size. And Rodny, you can change that yourself, just rename it to something lower.

I'll take a look at this and write up a review.

EDIT:
    Thoughts

Ships
    Ships were useless. There's not enough water for me to bother building them, and its not like I can bombard them from the seas, they'll just go further inland. Also, why are you bothering to make the Extra Builders in the Mercenary camp instead of built from your main base? w00t I can hire a Orc Worker as a Human! And, why would a Blood Elf shipyard make Human and Night Elf ships? From what I can tell, that was a pretty slack approach. Just make 4 extra workers and put them in your main building.

Scaling
    Hero spells need to be toned down a lot more. I picked the Emperor and could pretty kill the early creep sites with 2 Flame Strikes, which also brings me to my next point, 84 HP Footman is way to weak. If I used Flame Strike and my Footmen were hit, they died in seconds. In SC and Traditional WC3 Melee, attack speeds and damage dealt is low enough that you have time to micro your troops out of harms way, normally. But in here, my Footmen died within seconds.

Furthermore, the entire Human HP set up is screwy. In normal WC3 Melee, its fine to have the Dwarves have more HP than a Footman, the Footmen have a different armor type that deals with that. But in here, the HP is so low, than it just fucks up the system. You scaling system just doesn't work. You've decreased all the HP values, but you've left the gold and attack values pretty much the same.

Tanks have so low HP that you could probably mass casters and kill them because of their magic attacks. I didn't try it, but since they have the same attack value as their normal WC3 counterparts, I'm guess its gonna work.

General Polish
    You had quite a few tooltip errors. Emperor is spelled Emperor, not Emporer. The Archers don't have their attack upgrade showing. The Upgrade Tooltips need to be updated. I don't really understand why you removed Blight from Undead, SC, a more tradition RTS as you call it, have Zerg with their Creep, why can't the undead keep their Blight?

Creeps and Mercs weren't affected by your HP scaling, from what I could see. Thunder Lizards had over 700 HP, and the Darkstalkers had like over 200 HP. And the Razormane Medicinemen that you could hire cost just about the same as a Knight, but had 600 HP to the Knight's 275. Paladins need to be disabled and then enabled when you research Paladins and then Knights get disabled. Furthermore, their Zeal ability didn't work.

Lastly, you had quite a few models/units that I didn't quite understand why you bothered with it. The Undead Spirit Tower doesn't need a spec model. The Limindor Dragon is the same as a Frost Wyrm, I'm pretty sure, in which case why not use the Frost Wyrm? Same thing for the Dwarven Cannon. Why bother?

It needs more work.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  15. radeonmaster

radeonmaster

Resources:
    Resources:
    The_Phalanx:

Thanks for taking the time to review the map - I agree with some of your comments. However, I think others miss the mark.

First of all, I would disagree that ships are useless. I've play tested this map with several friends, and control of the seas via naval dominance was an important key to victory each round. It allowed the player to secure the bottom right gold mine and also harass the inland gold mines.

Second, purchasing the special worker units at mercenary camps allows the map creator to dictate more easily whether or not the player can make use of the special buildings and abilities. Not all terrain layouts may be compatible with shipyards. Furthermore, the current system helps to set up the "offense versus defense" approach discussed in the map description above. Since each pairing of races can build the same special buildings, it didn't make sense for me to allow them to train an identical unit.

There definitely are some imbalance issues due to the scaling down of the hit points. I will definitely look into that. Same goes fo tool tip errors.

The Lindomr Dragon can take off and land, unlike the Frost Wyrm. Not sure what you mean about the Paladins needing "to be disabled then enabled." Zeal has worked in every test I've done - fyi, the Paladin survives the death of his horse only 20% of the time.

Many of the model swaps were done because the style of the original models did not mix well with my vision of a brutally violent and mature game, and hence, hurt the immersion experience for me. For example, I thought blight looked dumb and made it difficult to distinguish units. Also, the model for the ziggurat and spirit tower looked messy to me, so i replaced it with the demon tower. Same with the Frost Wyrm and Abomination. Same with the Mortar team, which also seemed out of place in a medieval world.

16. WhiteTrashBoy

WhiteTrashBoy

Resources:
    Resources:
    any screenshots?

17. The_Phalanx

The_Phalanx

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    From what I saw from the ships, and I didn't check all of the, they lacked the range to actually prevent units from gathering gold. You could easily just build more inland, and gather gold that way. This, of course, doesn't help if they do an air raid, but doesn't help the usefulness of ships. Undead especially can haunt the gold mine and not have to worry about it. If you want them to be useful in the map, bring the gold mines closer to the water's edge.

Not quite understand what you mean here. How does placing the builder in Mercenary Camps do anything? All it does is make me have to kill those Creeps, which I'm going to do anyways, before I can build ships. If the terrain layout isn't compatible with shipyards, then you need to disable it. Just do it beforehand in your map triggers. WC2, if there wasn't any water, you couldn't build the shipyard.

As for training an identical unit, who said anything about making it an identical unit? In WC2 and SC, you tier 2 and up structures all had an "Build Advance Building" button you could pick from. In WC3, I'm pretty sure you can't do that, but you could do it just by giving each player another builder. And then, you can spread out the Tech-Tree more. A few people have said its pretty much normal melee with a few changes, you could easily increase those changes buy enlarging the Tech-Tree some.

I don't remember reading the 20% in the tooltip. If its there, I must have glazed over it. As for what I mean by enabling and disabling, let me put it this way. In WC3 as Humans, I can't build a Siege Engine (Barrage) at the start of the game. As Orcs, I can't build a Troll Berzerkers. But once I get the Barrage upgrade or the Berzerker upgrade, the Siege Engine and Troll Head Hunter both disappear and are replaced with the Siege Engine (Barrage) and Troll Berzerker, respectively. I've had a hard time trying to do it by upgrades, but its relatively simple to do it by triggers. Disable the unit at the start of the game, then when the player researches it, enable the unit and disable the obsolete unit.

A Cannon isn't much more advanced than a Mortar. If you played M2TW, you get Mortars like right after Grand Bombards. As for the rest, I do by best to avoid custom models to keep the map size small. If I can use a Blizzard Model, then I will. So, to each his own.

18. WhiteTrashBoy

WhiteTrashBoy

Resources:
    Resources:
    any screenies?

19. radeonmaster

radeonmaster

Resources:
    Resources:
    How does one post screen shots in the map description section?